The Pittsburgher Thread: The Bush Era Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Its ashame Hodges is gonna get cut. Kid looks like he got what it takes. But they are going to keep Dobbs on the grounds he is the only one with regular season experience.

I dont think theyd run with 2 backups with 0 regular season experience.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Good to see players, in these first two games, giving the coaching stuff difficult decisions to make on who will make the team.

Reactions: USMC607

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I actually like Dupree more than most. But did they just predict 10 sacks?

Dupree doesn’t blow like ppl say. Like I said a few mo ago, if you look at his numbers, he’s an avg OLB. He’s just frustrating as hell because he overruns so many big plays and has tons of talent, but he’s the king of almost.

Reactions: Andy99 and USMC607

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
If Mason Rusolph snags the #2 spot. I wonder if they would keep Hodges.

The experience excuse would go out the window because Dobbs would be 3rd.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dupree doesn’t blow like ppl say. Like I said a few mo ago, if you look at his numbers, he’s an avg OLB. He’s just frustrating as hell because he overruns so many big plays and has tons of talent, but he’s the king of almost.

As I said, I like him more than most. But only 16 players had more than ten sacks last year, it is awfully optimistic of a prediction.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

So you’re saying he’s the ZAR of the Steelers...lol

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Besides the obvious ones like Washington, Dupree, etc.

I really liked what I seen from Skipper, Spencer, Johnson, Hodges tonight.

Spencer looks like he has a future as a return man if not here then somewhere.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and TNT87

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The WR decisions should be the most interesting...they have a lot of small shifty dudes...DJ is a lock, but they can’t keep all of Switzer, Rogers and Spencer...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
A lot of teams will be watching with interest who doesn't make the cut with the Steelers. There will be players who will play in the NFL this year cut from the Steelers.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As I said, I like him more than most. But only 16 players had more that that last year, it is awfully optimistic of a prediction.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he got ten. He has the talent to do it and he gets his hands on the QB a lot... he just to this point struggles to finish sacks.

So you’re saying he’s the ZAR of the Steelers...lol

f*** no. ZAR is a plug, Mango Salsa part II.

Dupree has mutant abilities, but he is more Hancock than Captain America.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Lots of young talent on this team(good drafting since 2017) to go with the solid vets we have. On both sides of the ball. Have good starters at every position and even nice depth now in case of injury.

Finally a complete team

I still want to see what Ben does next week tho. Will he throw to Washington like Mason/Dobbs have? We saw JW have a great preseason last year too but Ben rarely looked his way during the RS. I'm sure that wont be a prob this year but still interested to see what Ben does. Needs to spread it around, when he usually likes finding 1 or 2 guys to keep throwing to. We have plenty of weapons on offense, use them all.

This could be the year they finally put it all together. Did a great job adding Barron and Nelson for the D and trading up for Bush. As well as Dupree looking much better in his contract year, to go with Edmunds improving in his 2nd season.. etc.

No reason they shouldnt be a top team in the AFC this year.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
With what I've seen thus far from Rudolph, I'd have zero worries cutting Dobbs and keeping Hodges as a project at 3. That guy has moxie and has shown more than enough to warrant a chance. The arm strength is questionable but he throws a nice, accurate ball. Dobbs is what he is. A career backup who will make some plays here and there, but will also cost you if pressed.

I think Rudolph is Ben's successor. I was on that train from the time we drafted him and won't be getting off anytime soon. His growth this year is so damn obvious. He just operates like a pro who's beyond his 2nd year. His poise is what sets him a part from other guys we've drafted at the position over the past decade.

Washington is going to have a big year, in part because he's obviously improved, but JuJu is going to command a lot of attention. I think the similarities to AB are striking when it comes to Johnson. The way he gets off the line is already well above average and his route running looked crisp. The way he darted/shifted after that first catch was a mirror image of AB. The body control on the BS non TD and then the awareness and skill to track and bring in a tough lob for the TD that counted were beautiful, veteran type plays.

JuJu is 22. Washington 23. Johnson 23.

Sucks that Ben is going to only get a year or 2 with those 3 but honestly, with them, Conner, Samuels, etc, Rudolph should be stepping into a prime position in 2021/22.

Reactions: domaug

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Could someone be nice enough to give me a run down of the game? I had to miss this one.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The only time I've ever seen Josh Dobbs play in the NFL my immediate take was "This guy f***ing sucks".

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Could someone be nice enough to give me a run down of the game? I had to miss this one.

WRs struggled early. Lots of drops on catchable balls. Moncreif fumbled. But midway thru the 2nd qtr they settled in and scored.

Defense looked solid all night, still giving up those 3rd and longs though more than I'd like.

Basically 7-7 until the 4th when we got a FG and another TD.

Washington was solid again making plays. Dupree had 2 sacks and looked good.
Burns also looked well and caused a fumble.
Barron looks good in coverage.
Samuel's has improved as a runner.

Johnson was shaky returning punts but looked good as a WR. Had a TD called back on a BS OPI call that was upheld. But got another one.

Dionte Spencer looks like he can translate his returning abilities form the CFL to the NFL. He did well at it and had a nice end around run play on offense.

Tuzar Skipper was all over the place as a LB had a fumble recovery and a sack.

Hodges looks good when he gets in.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
in terms of QBs, i really like what i see from Devlin Hodges. not as keen on Josh Dobbs. Rudolph IMO has earned the 2 spot so far.

i don't expect the Steelers to keep Hodges over Dobbs unless Dobbs has a complete meltdown, whether or not they should. but damn if Hodges isn't at least making it a tough decision for the Steelers.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think this team would have a hard time getting rid of Dobbs because of the resources they have put into him. I know there were a lot of media outlets that called Hodges a sleeper. I didn't see this game but his first game I was sort of shocked at how he was able to get in there and sling it. I'd be curious to see how he would do against better competition. He wouldn't be the first QB to come out of one of these small schools and make it.

It appears that Rudolph has pretty handedly taken the job from Dobbs.

Reactions: domaug

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Tomlin looked like he packed on a lot weight. I guess that’s what happens when you don’t make the playoffs.

Also, am I the only one that like Samuels better than Conner?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
With what I've seen thus far from Rudolph, I'd have zero worries cutting Dobbs and keeping Hodges as a project at 3. That guy has moxie and has shown more than enough to warrant a chance. The arm strength is questionable but he throws a nice, accurate ball. Dobbs is what he is. A career backup who will make some plays here and there, but will also cost you if pressed.

I think Rudolph is Ben's successor. I was on that train from the time we drafted him and won't be getting off anytime soon. His growth this year is so damn obvious. He just operates like a pro who's beyond his 2nd year. His poise is what sets him a part from other guys we've drafted at the position over the past decade.

Washington is going to have a big year, in part because he's obviously improved, but JuJu is going to command a lot of attention. I think the similarities to AB are striking when it comes to Johnson. The way he gets off the line is already well above average and his route running looked crisp. The way he darted/shifted after that first catch was a mirror image of AB. The body control on the BS non TD and then the awareness and skill to track and bring in a tough lob for the TD that counted were beautiful, veteran type plays.

JuJu is 22. Washington 23. Johnson 23.

Sucks that Ben is going to only get a year or 2 with those 3 but honestly, with them, Conner, Samuels, etc, Rudolph should be stepping into a prime position in 2021/22.

Roth said he plans to play out his contract at minimum. That will take him to 39, and guys like Brady and Brees are still going strong past that age.

Unless he gets injured, I wouldn’t doubt Roth plays 3-4 more years.

Rudolph is going to do a lot of sitting for the next several years barring injuries, and I’m more than ok with that. Once Roth officially retires, I’ll worry about his successor then.

Meanwhile AB is claiming that the NFL not changing their helmet rule just for him is proof of the entire league being racist.

Admit how much you miss him.

Getting annoying that I can’t search on Steelers news without seeing headlines for this mentally ill individual every day.

If he thinks the league will open themselves up to more future litigation by allowing a stupid loophole open because he believes himself to be a special snowflake, he’s even more brain damaged than I thought.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Roth said he plans to play out his contract at minimum. That will take him to 39, and guys like Brady and Brees are still going strong past that age.

Unless he gets injured, I wouldn’t doubt Roth plays 3-4 more years.

Rudolph is going to do a lot of sitting for the next several years barring injuries, and I’m more than ok with that. Once Roth officially retires, I’ll worry about his successor then.

Ben isn't playing into his 40's.

The major difference between the legends you mentioned and 7 is his body has been destroyed over the years. Some of that is his own doing (style) and some of it is the byproduct of him not getting the same protection nancies like Manning and Brady were afforded.

Trading or letting Rudolph walk would be a major mistake. Not having to go through the process sucking ass for years while trying to find a franchise QB would be a great thing.

I remember the 80's and 90's well.

Reactions: USMC607
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->