The Pittsburgher Thread: The Bush Era Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Couple things that popped out to me last night -

Bush and Ola were in the backfield every single play. I feel confident that Ola will supplant Dupree before the end of the season. The guy is so disruptive. Crazy to say, but we have really good potential with this linebacking corps to turn into one of the better ones in the league.

I want to see Rudolph get more reps against top competition. He looked really poised and confident. He doesn't have a bomb of an arm, but he is super accurate and can throw darts. I also think if you're talking about a guy being a backup for Ben, having that guy be someone who plays a very similar game is probably a good thing. Dobbs is fine - he's talented. I do prefer Rudolph though and I think Rudolph has what it takes to be a really good game manager.

I thought our backup oline was rough. I expected a bit more from them against lesser competition.

It was nice to see Washington make plays. He made contested catches and even almost had that beautiful toe-tap catch in the endzone. Hopefully he can take control of the 3WR spot and do something with it.

I didn't quite understand the Snell pick, and I don't understand it now. It's his first game, but I expected a bit more pop out of him. Very bland runner.

I doubt Ola will be allowed to play over Dupree unless he’s putrid. Dupree is an avg OLB, not a bad OLB... so I can’t see him being sat, especially because of salary. Frustrating but we all know how it goes...

Agree about Snell... he looked slow, but like Bell and JC he can always drop weight and get faster over the off season.

The team did lose an outstanding OL coach so I would expect it to take a step back. But they looked overmatched a lot of the time, especially early on. The RBs has nowhere to go. Hopefully it’s just rust or pre-season malaise but I’m skeptical

All of their starting OL was sitting and they had many of their backups playing their swing positions, so expecting any kind of cohesion is pretty silly.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Ola is not better than Dupree right now, it’s not even close. Ola isn’t explosive fast, he better work on his strength if he wants to make an impact in the league.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I didn't even watch this game. Did they win or lose? Doesn't matter. Did Tomlin bungle the clock? Did Chuks Okorafor have bad feet on that one play in the third quarter? Doesn't matter. Did Devin Bush have 27 TFL and three strip sacks? Was Diontae Johnson invisible? Doesn't f***ing matter!

I wish they wouldn't televise or charge people money for these games because they're cock-tease garbage and they mean nothing. We'll see after labor day how this team looks.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013

It was incredibly racist. "Make-A-Wish foundation for Ghetto America" -- how is that not racist? It was so racist that I did a spit take when reading it. It covers some of the worst racist stereotypes about blackness in America -- that black people are poor, that they live in ghettos, that they are too lazy to succeed without intervention, etc.

If you want to call it a joke, fine. But it's a racist joke. You're laughing at something racist. Be honest and own up to it.

"Virtue signal elsewhere."

No. Racism should not exist on this forum, or any other. It needs eliminated.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Couple things that popped out to me last night -

Bush and Ola were in the backfield every single play. I feel confident that Ola will supplant Dupree before the end of the season. The guy is so disruptive. Crazy to say, but we have really good potential with this linebacking corps to turn into one of the better ones in the league.

I want to see Rudolph get more reps against top competition. He looked really poised and confident. He doesn't have a bomb of an arm, but he is super accurate and can throw darts. I also think if you're talking about a guy being a backup for Ben, having that guy be someone who plays a very similar game is probably a good thing. Dobbs is fine - he's talented. I do prefer Rudolph though and I think Rudolph has what it takes to be a really good game manager.

I thought our backup oline was rough. I expected a bit more from them against lesser competition.

It was nice to see Washington make plays. He made contested catches and even almost had that beautiful toe-tap catch in the endzone. Hopefully he can take control of the 3WR spot and do something with it.

I didn't quite understand the Snell pick, and I don't understand it now. It's his first game, but I expected a bit more pop out of him. Very bland runner.

Conner looked bland his first year as well. Then slimmed up and did what he did last year. Not saying Snell will do the same but its been a trend with Pitt RBs lately. Bell to Conner to Samuels(see how much he trimmed up last night and how elusive he was on that run?). Snell is the same weight he was in college....gonna take a year being on the Steeler weight plan.

Btw Washington looked great. Showed flashes last year too...I still say he could have done alot more if Ben looked his way. With Brown gone now...that shouldnt be a problem. And with JW having a year under his belt.

We better pray not having Munchak anymore doesn't set this line back. That was our biggest strength. Im sure the vets will be fine but will we get solid play from anyone we sub in?

More on Samuels, didnt see much action but I can see him being our best weapon out of the backfield. Between Conner, Samuels, and Snell we are set at RB. Should even see Conner/Samuels out there at the same time during some plays

I think this will be a much more exciting offense without Brown. Forcing us to spread it around and be more creative. Still having a top WR in Juju as well. Moncrief, Washington, McDonald, Conner, Samuels, to surround him. With rookies Johnson, Snell, and Gentry. Plenty of options

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It was incredibly racist. "Make-A-Wish foundation for Ghetto America" -- how is that not racist? It was so racist that I did a spit take when reading it. It covers some of the worst racist stereotypes about blackness in America -- that black people are poor, that they live in ghettos, that they are too lazy to succeed without intervention, etc.

If you want to call it a joke, fine. But it's a racist joke. You're laughing at something racist. Be honest and own up to it.

"Virtue signal elsewhere."

No. Racism should not exist on this forum, or any other. It needs eliminated.

If that's racist, it's about 100x more racist to assume "ghetto" means black kids, isn't it? I don't know if you've ever been in the inner city but there are white kids there too.

But again, it's a joke. Stop the self-righteousness and learn to laugh.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If that's racist, it's about 100x more racist to assume "ghetto" means black kids, isn't it? I don't know if you've ever been in the inner city but there are white kids there too.

Yeah I mean, I didn't realize the term "Ghetto" was a race of its own. And thank you

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah I mean, I didn't realize the term "Ghetto" was a race of its own. And thank you

I’m one of the people you were joking about... grew up in the inner city... had drive bys in front of my house... surrounded by gangbangers... harassed by the cops... lost friends to the streets... I’m white, so were many of my friends... the person above is kind of right that people are making racist assumptions that “inner city” and “ghetto” mean black people.

I don’t take any offense to the joke. Can’t be bothered I guess.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Steelers basically hinted that Layne is a major project and he won’t be playing much this year because he’s so raw. Exactly how Sutton was a project as well, but now he’s starting to come along after a couple years (What an insane draft 2017 will be if Sutton develops to).

I was happy to see Washington play well, now I’d like to see how Johnson and Moncrief do also.

Also hope Nelson gets in next week so I can have a look at him.

Did anyone notice Barron? I know he was in early but I didn’t see anything good or bad...

Barron to me was just quietly doing his job. Not flashy, nothing of note.

Just clogging lanes and making tackles when the ball carrier was near him.

He is also way faster than Bostic/William's but to no ones suprise not as fast as Bush.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The oline was all backups playing their 2ndary positions like Okoafor playing LT instead of RT.

So I'm not worried about the Oline.

The Defensive schemes still look sub par to me, and I still think Butler needs to go. But oh well....

Reactions: John Titor

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The oline was all backups playing their 2ndary positions like Okoafor playing LT instead of RT.

The Defensive schemes still look sub par to me, and I still think Butler needs to go. But oh well....

Thats true about the OLine. But same case for defense. They werent really showing many packages. Not worried about that...yet. Butler is still a concern tho, agree with that.

Hopefully with all of this talent on D, it wont matter as much. He just needs to not ruin things and we need to stay healthy. There's basically a dominant starter at every position finally

Trading up for Devin Bush could be the diff in us finally winning again

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I've always thought Rudolph had a better than even shot at becoming a decent QB. He was really underrated coming out, at least based on what I had seen of him at OSU. He just always was a force.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think Tomlin has taken over the defense for quite some time now...I’d blame him first...

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017

Black player. Overwhelmingly black player league. Ghetto. "Mo money". Not racist?

Whatever.

IMO AB is borderline sociopath. Driving on McKnight Rd over 100 mph? No concern for the well-being of others. No sense of how his tiresome behavior reflects on him and harms his team.

Have no sympathy for the Raiders. To paraphrase Maya Angelou: once somebody shows you who they are, believe them.

As for the game v Tampa, it's pre-season. Can't get too excited one way or the other. Maybe I'll watch the Pirates tonight, no big surprises there...

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I guess making fun of dialects is racist now lol

If you want to take offense to everything go for it but it sounds like a great way to have a miserable existence

Of course! Because we've put them in their place they will nit pick elsewhere. Oh and said term originated in Venice,Italy and I'm half Italian. I've gotten made fun of and sometimes steryotyped because of that.. BUT never took offense to and in fact even sometimes joined in and did imitations..i make fun of myself sometimes so yeah.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I’m also of Italian heritage and I’d probably be an alcoholic if I got mad or offended at every Italian stereotype, caricature, or joke I’ve experienced. Mostly they’re just funny

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mean, Tomlin is in the league because of Make A Wish....right?

Dude would get owned by 8 year old kids on Madden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad