OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers in 1st n'at!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bosa will be back but Chargers losing OLB Perryman for the year will hurt.

Theyve done great in the draft on D. Not just guys like Bosa, Ingram, and Derwin James falling to them but Desmond King in the 4th round(dont know how we passed him up...hed be perfect as our CB2 and would have made that 2017 draft even better) ..and rookie Kyzir White at LB looking great until his season ending injury.

Well rounded team...some great drafting.

Last edited:

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Conner is a physical back that like to initiate contact and “punish”’defenders. People love that sort of thing, but the reality is that it opens you up to injuries and your career is shortened because of it.

Emmitt Smith was able to play as long as he did because he knew when to go down and when to go out of bounds and avoid hits.

On the flip side, you have guys like Peterson or even Fournette, who like to hammer the ball but get injured and worn down quickly.

I don’t mind Conner running a few guys over here or there but I wish the coaching staff would tell him to avoid so many hits when he is able to.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If bell goes to the raiders, he’s f***ed haha. That line is god awful. Needs a complete overhaul. He’s in for a rude awakening when he’s not running behind a pro bowl filled line with a HOF coach.

Williams and now Conner are evidence of that.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Barkley 100 all purpose yards yet again last night, and a catch that damn near sealed the W for his team. He’s unreal. Terrifying to think what he might do with just a competent O-Line.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Had a Browns fan tell me they're glad they didn't draft Barkley because Chubb has looked just as good. Blew my mind

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
From Draft Day 2017
OT: - The Pittsburgher Thread: American Football n'at

I'm seeing a lot of complaining about the Conner pick all over different message boards. But there is a reason why the Steelers have 6 SB's and the Bengals have 0.

The Bengals have a team filled with headcases and they wonder why they meltdown when things get tough.

It's like Cowher always said nearly every week in his PC's; "you don't judge someones character when things are going well, you see their true character when times get tough".

I would have been happy with James Conner getting drafted by the Steelers in the 1st round because I am confident when it's all said and done, that will be his value to the team.
John Titor, Apr 29, 2017

I mean... not to toot my own horn, I fully understand I'm the dumbest guy on this board. Here's hoping I get smarter in the future and get accepted into the club!

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
We really should have a look back thread on here that's pinned.

Response to Jiggy:

I don't follow Pitt, why did Conner slip so far? Was it the knee injury and cancer?

Wasn't he a TD machine and avg like 5.2 ypc?

What am I missing here?

He doesn't look slow on the film I've glanced over, but that's just YT scouting so it means jack all.
Who knows, I think these scouts are all inbred and they will group-think a players perceived value and it then becomes cemented in stone. Did he look like he was back to his Sophomore level last year, no. But I think the reasons are more complicated than just his medical issues. Pitt changed their offense the year Conner sat out and while he was still a huge part of the teams success last year, he no longer ran out of a pro set.

I'll tell you this, I have watched Pitt live multiple times the past several years since I live in the Southeast. And I have drooled over the thought of getting Conner for 4 years. But I have always been a sucker for power backs who move the chains, so I may be biased a tad.

I believe the Steelers got the STEAL of the draft with Conner.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Had a Browns fan tell me they're glad they didn't draft Barkley because Chubb has looked just as good. Blew my mind

Ok I get what he is saying to a point.

Getting Mayfield instead of Barkley and then getting Chubb (who is doing well) later was probably a better decision on there part. Instead of Barkley and then once again No QB.

But I dont care if they have similar stats... The browns are a way better team at the moment than the giants.

And Saquon is miles better than chubb. Barkley is putting up these stats behind traffic cones for an oline.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Response to Jiggy:

I don't follow Pitt, why did Conner slip so far? Was it the knee injury and cancer?

What am I missing here?

He doesn't look slow on the film I've glanced over, but that's just YT scouting so it means jack all.
Who knows, I think these scouts are all inbred and they will group-think a players perceived value and it then becomes cemented in stone. Did he look like he was back to his Sophomore level last year, no. But I think the reasons are more complicated than just his medical issues. Pitt changed their offense the year Conner sat out and while he was still a huge part of the teams success last year, he no longer ran out of a pro set.

I'll tell you this, I have watched Pitt live multiple times the past several years since I live in the Southeast. And I have drooled over the thought of getting Conner for 4 years. But I have always been a sucker for power backs who move the chains, so I may be biased a tad.

Ya I remember our convo last year and you made a great call on Conner.

Cancer and a knee injury is going to slow anyone down, but he now looks like the explosive guy I saw in his early YT clips.

He’s made a lot of people eat their words. Not just on here, but all over. Madden has had to admit several times he was wrong as hell, Easy Ed as well, and the other talking heads.

“You can’t replace a generational back!”

Right....

Never bought that BS about Bell which is why I was insistent as hell they let him walk and not tie up stupid money in a plodder like him.

Reactions: John Titor

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Ok I get what he is saying to a point.

Getting Mayfield instead of Barkley and then getting Chubb (who is doing well) later was probably a better decision on there part. Instead of Barkley and then once again No QB.

But I dont care if they have similar stats... The browns are a way better team at the moment than the giants.

And Saquon is miles better than chubb. Barkley is putting up these stats behind traffic cones for an oline.

The Browns had the #1 and #4 picks with the Giants not looking to replace Eli and the Jets gunning for Darnold. They very likely would have gotten Mayfield if they'd taken Barkley, but I get wanting to take the QB first.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Response to Jiggy:

What am I missing here?

Respect for the call, but if there is one thing you definitely do not want - it's a lookback thread, Kev. :laugh: That would not be good for you.

Reactions: KIRK

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The Browns had the #1 and #4 picks with the Giants not looking to replace Eli and the Jets gunning for Darnold. They very likely would have gotten Mayfield if they'd taken Barkley, but I get wanting to take the QB first.

Agreed they could have gotten both Barkley and Mayfield but they took Ward at 4 and Chubb at 35, so I don't know what QB or CB would have completed the package at 35. For reference, Josh Jackson (GB) was the next CB taken. Rudolph was actually the next QB taken. Anyway, you'd have to take all three players the Browns drafted into consideration.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Considering the Browns defense was already pretty good, I think Mayfield, Barkley, and Jackson > Mayfield, Ward, and Chubb.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just think. At 4pm Bell will turn into a pumpkin and no more attention getting for him. I hope he then realizes nobody really cares about him and him losing 15 million to hold out for more money (lol) and the daily news articles popping up will finally disappear and he goes into obscurity.

Well I can hope at least.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
If bell goes to the raiders, he’s ****ed haha. That line is god awful. Needs a complete overhaul. He’s in for a rude awakening when he’s not running behind a pro bowl filled line with a HOF coach.

Williams and now Conner are evidence of that.
As long as he gets paid, I don’t think he gives a f***.

He’ll be yuckin it up in Vegas and could give zero f***s about football.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If he turned down $70 million from the Steelers and lost $15 million this year, i wonder if his next contract will be larger then $85 million.

Stay tuned!!

I am so freaking happy he didn't sign the 70m one. Jeeeeeeees. And honestly I like what you did. 15m this year is immediately subtracted from next year's contract because he chose to ignore it. So he basically needs 100m to make this all worth while. That, hopefully, is a crazy stretch.

But you know... Jets/Raiders. Wait and see.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I am so freaking happy he didn't sign the 70m one. Jeeeeeeees. And honestly I like what you did. 15m this year is immediately subtracted from next year's contract because he chose to ignore it. So he basically needs 100m to make this all worth while. That, hopefully, is a crazy stretch.

But you know... Jets/Raiders. Wait and see.

I have no doubt he won’t get that, but he’ll get a contract that offers him $20-25 mil guaranteed and he’ll call that a big win over the Steelers’ low guaranteed money and tweet out that it was so worth him holding out!....book it

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
As long as he gets paid, I don’t think he gives a ****.

He’ll be yuckin it up in Vegas and could give zero ****s about football.

That my line of thought.

This dude just wants paid. Winning a ship is a luxuary to him. But not a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->