The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelolers and PSU/OSU Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
@Rossi Rat - who wins Saturday night?
Ohio State has been rolling. Haskins is very good. But playing at Penn State, white out on a Saturday night... boy, is that going to be a test. I like PSU in a close one - something like 31-27. Expecting big games from McSorley, Miles Sanders. Keep an eye on KJ Hamler, too.

Reactions: Pengwins

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The Steelers are 28th in passing defense, 29th in overall. The Vikings are 9th in passing defense and are getting abused, so yeah I think the Steelers would get it even worse.

Steelers also faced Mahomes/Chiefs and Fitz/Bucs.

its all about creating turnovers now...they did that last week and have to keep doing that. Yards are gonna happen all year long..all around the league.

A combined 1000 yards tonight. And the Rams were likely gonna let them tie it up...but got that turnover to end it.

Our D forced 4...one for a TD. Dont care about the yards, considering. If they keep making plays...we will keep winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pengwins

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Take out Thomas and the first and Seattle does it..... I’m still not sure why people think Bell is going to bring back anything of value if he gets dealt

Because he's the best skill player in the league. They'd be stupid to trade him without getting that kind of return, and they can't trade him unless he signs.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
every offense. Not just our D getting abused this year
It held up OK against Cleveland - but that offense was aenemic with Tyrod Taylor.

But yeah. Also - Flacco has always played the Steelers well and has a revamped offense with plenty of underrated weapons.

It’s not a good matchup.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It held up OK against Cleveland - but that offense was aenemic with Tyrod Taylor.

But yeah. Also - Flacco has always played the Steelers well and has a revamped offense with plenty of underrated weapons.

It’s not a good matchup.

Ravens offense is top ten right now. Falcons top offense(next opponent). Bengals top ten offense, face them after. And Chiefs are #1..before tonight(will probably get it back after they play). Along with the Bucs being a top offense so far.

So yeah...1. Ben will have to keep this up and 2. Our D must force turnovers.

I love that this happened tonight tho. Two of the best defenses in the league let up a combined 1000 yards. Burns and the rest of our D shouldnt be feeling as down as they were. Just keep the turnovers coming.

Lb Barr was beat all night covering WRs. They didnt learn from our game. Altho Im sure its happening around the league. More proof we arent the only defense in question

This league changed quick. And usually takes time to adjust. Vikes had the #1 D last year. Just got it handed to em tonight. Didnt even look good against the Bills.

Last edited:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Linebackers covering WR's isn't anything new. The way teams spread defenses out you're going to have those mismatches.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I hate the brand of football the Rams/Vikings played tonight. Too many NFL games are starting to feel like Big 12 football games these days. That or Arena football. There's just no semblance of defense.

I don't want 9-6 games like Tennessee and Jacksonville last week but I'm not that entertained by these shootouts where teams can't stop each other either. Although given the Steelers defensive issues winning shootouts is probably the only way they can win games right now.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

fybertas

May 30, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ohio State has been rolling. Haskins is very good. But playing at Penn State, white out on a Saturday night... boy, is that going to be a test. I like PSU in a close one - something like 31-27. Expecting big games from McSorley, Miles Sanders. Keep an eye on KJ Hamler, too.
PSU defense is worrisome tho... However Steelers defense is somehow worse

Reactions: domaug

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i actually am expecting a close win by Ohio State. both offenses have been great but i feel Ohio State has the better defense and that would make the difference even in a raucous Beaver Stadium.

obviously i hope Penn State pulls it out, but I'm not feeling so hopeful about it.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Because he's the best skill player in the league. They'd be stupid to trade him without getting that kind of return, and they can't trade him unless he signs.

Yeah he is good.... but no team is going to give up that much for potentially only 6 games with the guy. Not to mention is he really even going to try and care for that limited amount of time he does play. You can talk about teams having all the cap space in the world but there is no guarantee he signs with the team he gets traded to. I also love the mentality of fans... “running back is a position that is becoming devalued and you don’t need a superstar talent at that position.... but trade me one of the best safeties in the league and two draft picks to take my teams running back.”

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I hate the brand of football the Rams/Vikings played tonight. Too many NFL games are starting to feel like Big 12 football games these days. That or Arena football. There's just no semblance of defense.

I don't want 9-6 games like Tennessee and Jacksonville last week but I'm not that entertained by these shootouts where teams can't stop each other either. Although given the Steelers defensive issues winning shootouts is probably the only way they can win games right now.

The league has specifically created that environment. For ratings, but also betting. Consider how many billions get exchanged each year based on shit like draft kings.

I'm simply not interested in football like I used to be. It's pathetically soft and far to many games end up like last night. Wide open offenses with next to no defensive pushback.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
McSorely should have a big game using his legs. Bosa is out and the OSU linebackers are probably the worst group in a very long time in terms of athleticism. I'm expecting a lot of tuck-and-runs from him.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Ravens offense is top ten right now. Falcons top offense(next opponent). Bengals top ten offense, face them after. And Chiefs are #1..before tonight(will probably get it back after they play). Along with the Bucs being a top offense so far.

So yeah...1. Ben will have to keep this up and 2. Our D must force turnovers.

I love that this happened tonight tho. Two of the best defenses in the league let up a combined 1000 yards. Burns and the rest of our D shouldnt be feeling as down as they were. Just keep the turnovers coming.

Lb Barr was beat all night covering WRs. They didnt learn from our game. Altho Im sure its happening around the league. More proof we arent the only defense in question

This league changed quick. And usually takes time to adjust. Vikes had the #1 D last year. Just got it handed to em tonight. Didnt even look good against the Bills.
Even last year's playoffs for these supposed top defenses: Jags gave up 42 to the Steelers. Vikings gave up 38 against the Eagles. Eagles and Pats were both bad defensively in the Super Bowl.

We can go on about how bad the Steelers' defense is, but if they can force turnovers and make stops when it counts... and more importantly, the offense can outscore the opponent, they still have a shot this year. Albeit not a great one.

I'm expecting a lot from McSorley Saturday night. I believe he will outplay Haskins.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Could see Hayden Hurst for the first time, but with him still being limited...not sure how affective he would be.

We will be without both Hilton and Burnett. Time for Burns, Edmunds, and Sutton to step up. Thank God we have Haden..seriously one of the best in the league when healthy. He proved that Monday night. Evans and Jackson are great WRs and he did his job.

Burns got beat a few times but hes still 100x better than Sensabaugh. Dont want to see Berhe out there either(20 snaps last game and got beat 3 times). Let Sutton fill in for Hilton..he may get beat here and there but hes a playmaker. And thats what you need these days.

Burns - Edmunds - Davis - Haden
Sutton in slot.

Just worried when we go with 6-7 DBs. Id rather see Marcus Allen get a chance than Berhe again. And he can tackle. Use him as our safety/LB

Expecting our offense to be aggressive again and come out passing. At least they should. Conner hasnt gotten 20 carries in either of the last 2 games...dont just give him the ball for the sake of it. Read the situation. Id continue to let the pass setup the run rather than the other way around.

And playcalling in their territory is very important. Need to pass the ball..we have plenty of weapons. Since we cant trust Boswell. Tucker will hit his field goals..they have a huge advantage there suddenly.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Here we go...

Matthew Thomas seeing reps on first team defense this week. Make the most of it..
With Burnett and Hilton out…and Butler hopefully realizing Watt should never be put in that situation again…it could be time for Thomas.

Got to watch for 3 weeks. Time to unleash.

Him and Adeniyi could be the x factors..making up for some poor drafting.

As we all know, Thomas could have an early round draft pick if he didnt go thru so much during his college career. A top recruit coming out of HS. And going to FSU while they were one of the best teams in the country says alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->