The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelolers and PSU/OSU Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Some guy at work is arguing that Bell is getting screwed by the NFL and Steelers. Threw out the racism angle as well which was icing on the cake....

I asked him, "So what you're saying is that Bell is getting screwed by the league and team because he doesn't like a collective bargaining agreement that the players and league agreed to?"

It's so utterly obvious Bell doesn't care about the game or the team. He'll sign anywhere, even if it's the worst team in the NFL, so long as he gets "paid". I never understood that mentality. At all. You're already more well off than 99.99% of people in the world. You make tens of millions to play a friggin' game. Yearly.

STFU.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Some guy at work is arguing that Bell is getting screwed by the NFL and Steelers. Threw out the racism angle as well which was icing on the cake....

I asked him, "So what you're saying is that Bell is getting screwed by the league and team because he doesn't like a collective bargaining agreement that the players and league agreed to?"

It's so utterly obvious Bell doesn't care about the game or the team. He'll sign anywhere, even if it's the worst team in the NFL, so long as he gets "paid". I never understood that mentality. At all. You're already more well off than 99.99% of people in the world. You make tens of millions to play a friggin' game. Yearly.

The game cripples guys so I’m fine with him wanting to get paid. I’m not fine with him acting like he’s being disrespected and deserves a massive commitment in guaranteed money though.

He is the one that f***ed up and got suspended twice, and he’s also injury prone and only made it through one playoff season... and that was because it was only one game.

He’s fool’s gold and some dumb team will figure that out too late.

I just laugh at the idiot talking heads who say “pay the man!”

He doesn’t deserve that kind of guaranteed money.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The game cripples guys so I’m fine with him wanting to get paid. I’m not fine with him acting like he’s being disrespected and deserves a massive commitment in guaranteed money though.

He is the one that ****ed up and got suspended twice, and he’s also injury prone and only made it through one playoff season... and that was because it was only one game.

He’s fool’s gold and some dumb team will figure that out too late.

I just laugh at the idiot talking heads who say “pay the man!”

He doesn’t deserve that kind of guaranteed money.

Actually, the players as a whole are underpaid based off what the overall league earnings are. The NFLPA is so poorly run and I'll never understand why the players continue to blindly support DeMaurice Smith.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Boswell is very fortunate that he’s playing for the Steelers because pretty much every other team in the league would have cut him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Boswell is very fortunate that he’s playing for the Steelers because pretty much every other team in the league would have cut him.

Their hands are tied this year...they're paying him mucho dinero and there will be a substantial financial penalty over the next few years....as a practical matter, they can't cut him...but they could sign cheap competition if they wanted to, who would take up an extra roster space FOR A SECOND KICKER...see the problem

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Ben is currently on pace to throw for 6,080 yards this season. Realistically that won't happen, but there's no reason to think he'll throw for any less than 5,000 yards barring injury. And you know there are yinzers thinking the high-passing yardage is the reason the Steelers lose and not the other way around.

Reactions: domaug

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Actually, the players as a whole are underpaid based off what the overall league earnings are. The NFLPA is so poorly run and I'll never understand why the players continue to blindly support DeMaurice Smith.

Of course they're "underpaid" relative to team and league earnings. But then again, they are also paid more money than essentially any job can pay a person in this world. By a massive margin I might add.

It's idiots like Bernie Sanders faux raging at somebody such as Jeff Bezos because "he's worth too much" that drive me nuts. I'm no Bezos fan but the man came up with an insanely brilliant idea and kept on pushing and driving towards realizing his dream and ideas. And he's now rewarded for it. The owners, at least the original ones had to take a risk by investing a shitload of money/assets into a team. If it weren't for them the players, many of them, would be working at dick's sporting goods or selling cars. The millions of people (consumers) like us who have forked out hundreds and thousands of dollars to buy tickets, jerseys, gear, etc.

Even if the NFLPA was run by the smartest person alive, they wouldn't get THAT much more money and put me in the camp that doesn't belive they should anyway....

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Their hands are tied this year...they're paying him mucho dinero and there will be a substantial financial penalty over the next few years....as a practical matter, they can't cut him...but they could sign cheap competition if they wanted to, who would take up an extra roster space FOR A SECOND KICKER...see the problem
Well that stinks, ughh.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Of course they're "underpaid" relative to team and league earnings. But then again, they are also paid more money than essentially any job can pay a person in this world. By a massive margin I might add.

It's idiots like Bernie Sanders faux raging at somebody such as Jeff Bezos because "he's worth too much" that drive me nuts. I'm no Bezos fan but the man came up with an insanely brilliant idea and kept on pushing and driving towards realizing his dream and ideas. And he's now rewarded for it. The owners, at least the original ones had to take a risk by investing a ****load of money/assets into a team. If it weren't for them the players, many of them, would be working at dick's sporting goods or selling cars. The millions of people (consumers) like us who have forked out hundreds and thousands of dollars to buy tickets, jerseys, gear, etc.

Even if the NFLPA was run by the smartest person alive, they wouldn't get THAT much more money and put me in the camp that doesn't belive they should anyway....

Many current owners did nothing but be blessed to be born into the right family though...

Either way, without the players talent and sacrificing their bodies, the owners wouldn’t have a league making billions.

I have no qualms with players wanting to max out the money they can make in their short NFL life span, and teams show their players very little loyalty... so business is business.

Just don’t be an unreliable employee that is also constantly busted for drugs, and whine how you deserve a crazy large commitment from your org.

Bell’s stupidity and unreliability is why he doesn’t have the contract he wants. Look in the mirror and stop whining about respect... it’s pathetic how he doesn’t get it...

Reactions: TNT87

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Many current owners did nothing but be blessed to be born into the right family though...

Either way, without the players talent and sacrificing their bodies, the owners wouldn’t have a league making billions.

I have no qualms with players wanting to max out the money they can make in their short NFL life span, and teams show their players very little loyalty... so business is business.

Just don’t be an unreliable employee that is also constantly busted for drugs, and whine how you deserve a crazy large commitment from your org.

Bell’s stupidity and unreliability is why he doesn’t have the contract he wants. Look in the mirror and stop whining about respect... it’s pathetic how he doesn’t get it...

Yes, but the owners had to come before the players to even create the league in the first place. Plus one can argue that players are born with extraordinary abilities that seperate them from the average person. Yes, most work very hard to sharpen those abilities but make no mistake, genetics have a lot to do with professional players being where they are.

That's my problem. Bell is bitching about a work environment (which includes contract structures) he and his co-workers agreed to. The dude is literally throwing away millions of guaranteed money this year.....because he didn't get enough guaranteed money in the last contract offer. Comical.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
good thing I don't watch Skip & Sharpe because when they interviewed James Harrison, Sharpe was suggesting the Steelers just simply release LeVeon Bell and "be done with it".

no. forget that noise. i don't care if they can't trade Bell. let him sit on the roster until they can get a compensatory pick for him at the very least. i don't care how much of a distraction he's been, the Steelers should get SOMETHING for him.

Reactions: Andy99

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah, releasing Bell sets a bad precedent and the Steelers won't be the ones to do it. You can't give in to the players who skip out on the team. That's a big difference between Bell and AB. At least AB never held out, despite having multiple seasons where he was underpaid. He's got his own issues but the guy has always worked his ass off.

Reactions: Andy99 and domaug

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Yes, but the owners had to come before the players to even create the league in the first place. Plus one can argue that players are born with extraordinary abilities that seperate them from the average person. Yes, most work very hard to sharpen those abilities but make no mistake, genetics have a lot to do with professional players being where they are.

That's my problem. Bell is *****ing about a work environment (which includes contract structures) he and his co-workers agreed to. The dude is literally throwing away millions of guaranteed money this year.....because he didn't get enough guaranteed money in the last contract offer. Comical.
To be fair to Bell (even though he’s an ass), the Steelers were the lone team to not vote to ratify the current CBA.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Ben is currently on pace to throw for 6,080 yards this season. Realistically that won't happen, but there's no reason to think he'll throw for any less than 5,000 yards barring injury. And you know there are yinzers thinking the high-passing yardage is the reason the Steelers lose and not the other way around.

We won four Super Bowls in six years by running variations on the same trap play repeatedly. In the last 38 years, we’ve only won two Super Bowls cause we do all ‘em fancy passes. What’s left to figure out?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

That's my problem. Bell is *****ing about a work environment (which includes contract structures) he and his co-workers agreed to. The dude is literally throwing away millions of guaranteed money this year.....because he didn't get enough guaranteed money in the last contract offer. Comical.

The owners had to come first, ya, but they need the players. Most pros work their asses off to get where they are, and they risk being a crippled mess when the league spits them out. There are tons of ultra gifted guys who never make the NFL because they are too lazy to put in the work.

If the owners truly cared about the players, their pension and health care plan for retired players wouldn’t be such a joke.

As for Bell, I’d have respect for what he wanted if he was some model employee, but he’s not. He’s a twice f*** up that can’t stay healthy or be counted on.

Steelers have shown again and again they pay their guys if they trust them enough to commit to them.

It’s no mystery why they didn’t pay Bell, despite the talking heads ignoring Bell’s less than desirable reliability.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
To be fair to Bell (even though he’s an ass), the Steelers were the lone team to not vote to ratify the current CBA.

I forget what it was now, but there was some side bar thing the Steelers were pissed off about and used their vote to signal they were unhappy....IIRC it was a protest vote for something entirely different.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
We won four Super Bowls in six years by running variations on the same trap play repeatedly. In the last 38 years, we’ve only won two Super Bowls cause we do all ‘em fancy passes. What’s left to figure out?

A defense that doesn't suck.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
A defense that doesn't suck.

I guess the old school steeler fan would say our defense only sucks cuz we don’t control the clock with the running game, so the defense isn’t fresh. Has nothing to do with allowing conversions on third and 18 and fourth and 7 (most recently). We need to go back to Super Bowl IX to figure out the winning offensive formula.

Reactions: Shockmaster

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Agent: Le'Veon Bell wants to play football this year

I said if we start winning , this would happen. When we were losing, things were looking good for him...had no problem sitting out. But we start winning without him and he continues to sit? All of a sudden GMs question if its more system than just him. Obviously they know hes still a great back...but im talking about the amount of money hes trying to get. Anyone would take him for a reasonable contract. But 15-17 mil a year like he wants? Not if he sits all year and we win without him

We need to keep winning. Id welcome Bell back . So would the players. Our coach better change his philosophy tho and be creative finally...you dont have to use just one back.

Personal feelings aside, who wouldnt want to see Conner and Bell out there for this season? Conner in the backfield with Bell lined up wide at times? Defenses wouldnt know what to do..and we already have a ton of weapons. Could even switch it up during the play...Bell starts out wide, and switches to backfield with Conner moving out wide. Cant tell me that wouldnt get in the defense heads...making them hesitate..and thats all it takes..make the D hesitate for that second or two and it opens things up.

I just wish our coaching would think like that. We didnt take advantage when we had both Bell and Williams. Could have done that then. Instead Bell got 40 carries a game in the playoffs while Williams had a total of 2 going into the Pats AFCC game. Then Bell tweaked his hammy. Game over.

We could really take advantage of this situation this year, Bell is a rental at this point anyway. If we cant get anything good in return...lets use it to our advantage and try to win it all. Again, personal feelings aside.

All depended on us winning tho...if we lost again the drama continues. We got that first win, now keep it going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad