The Pittsburgher Thread - Steelers/Football talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I mean we had that 16 or so years ago when Ben was on a rookie deal and won a Super Bowl...so, haha.

I’m not sure what his pay was back then since rookie contracts were different, however.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I mean we had that 16 or so years ago when Ben was on a rookie deal and won a Super Bowl...so, haha.

I’m not sure what his pay was back then since rookie contracts were different, however.

Correction it was year 2 he won not that it makes a difference either way

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Odds that Ben finishes the year as starting QB?

Based on the little Crosby tribute video it's pretty clear that he's going to take his fitness as seriously as he always has.

Oh well. It's $7-8M against the cap incremental to what we woulda paid him anyway.
  • Restructure Cam
  • Extend Nelson
  • Let Juju & Bud walk
  • Bring back Hilton and Sutton
  • Add a quality RB but also bring back Conner for RBBC
  • Go all in on OL at the draft

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It’s not just Ben making his money regardless, it’s that restructuring means an extension. I’d be better for the team to cut him, take the cap hit this year as the start of a rebuild

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Z4W3.gif

UnkemptElementaryHapuka-small.gif

I wish Daniel was the Steelers owner

“Do you think your little song and dance will save you?!” - Daniel Plainview to Mike Tomlin, probably

Reactions: KIRK and Hungamania

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How dare you. Take that back right now. The beard of the second best Chargers QB in history (possibly third) is full and in no way fake

I can’t change facts bro.

Enjoy the f***ing joke of a season coming up. The team will be even worse next season with the players we'll lose and Ben and his ignorant ass not knowing when to quit.

If they get Etienne or Harris, and Roth has a good running game, again, I don’t see them having this disastrous season others are predicting.

That is the real issue, and the fact they will be a mediocre team spinning their wheels.

Having a really bad season would be ideal, so if people think Roth will make that happen, they should be ecstatic he’s coming back.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I still like Trask but think that you would get him in the middle of the second round. The comparisons with Rudolph I don't get. And I don't dislike Rudolph like some do. Rudolph never was anywhere near as accurate or able to quickly make reads like Trask already can do. If Trask had played in the Senior bowl he would be a first round pick like Jones is going to be.

Take one of the two RB's if there, or an offensive lineman, then move up a few spots and get Trask in round two. Round three address line or RB, whichever you did not get in round one.

You address the present and potentially future.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

If they get Etienne or Harris, and Roth has a good running game, again, I don’t see them having this disastrous season others are predicting.

That is the real issue, and the fact they will be a mediocre team spinning their wheels.

Having a really bad season would be ideal, so if people think Roth will make that happen, they should be ecstatic he’s coming back.

I agree with your thoughts in principle.

However, the main issue is the tough schedule. Coupled with everything else, including some tough decisions because of the cap, everything would have to go right. And we know that is unlikely. They will not have a lot of error room, and a couple of injuries, which are inevitable, and it could go south very quickly.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I still like Trask but think that you would get him in the middle of the second round. The comparisons with Rudolph I don't get. And I don't dislike Rudolph like some do. Rudolph never was anywhere near as accurate or able to quickly make reads like Trask already can do. If Trask had played in the Senior bowl he would be a first round pick like Jones is going to be.

Take one of the two RB's if there, or an offensive lineman, then move up a few spots and get Trask in round two. Round three address line or RB, whichever you did not get in round one.

You address the present and potentially future.

I think the comparisons are more based on Rudolph getting buzz as a potential first rounder but slipping to the third. Something similar likely happens with Trask.

I don’t really know of a good NFL comparison for him. Maybe Teddy Bridgewater? He was a guy where the mental side of the game was there, but the physical attributes didn’t wow anyone.

My concern with Trask is that he’ll end up good enough where a team won’t move on from him, but not good enough to win unless he has the perfect team around him. Then you’re stuck in this QB limbo.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think the comparisons are more based on Rudolph getting buzz as a potential first rounder but slipping to the third. Something similar likely happens with Trask.

I don’t really know of a good NFL comparison for him. Maybe Teddy Bridgewater? He was a guy where the mental side of the game was there, but the physical attributes didn’t wow anyone.

My concern with Trask is that he’ll end up good enough where a team won’t move on from him, but not good enough to win unless he has the perfect team around him. Then you’re stuck in this QB limbo.

He is not a sure thing. Although I like him for the reasons that I said, I recognize the risk. However it is only a second round pick. Certainly worth the gamble. As Brady showed you can win playing that kind of game. Not to compare Trask to Brady obviously, except that the things that make Brady the best ever are the exact same strengths of Trask's game. The NFL have become too enamored with 'athletes' at the QB position. Guys who can run and pass. And have forgotten to focus on the read and pass accurately part first.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
He is not a sure thing. Although I like him for the reasons that I said, I recognize the risk. However it is only a second round pick. Certainly worth the gamble. As Brady showed you can win playing that kind of game. Not to compare Trask to Brady obviously, except that the things that make Brady the best ever are the exact same strengths of Trask's game. The NFL have become too enamored with 'athletes' at the QB position. Guys who can run and pass. And have forgotten to focus on the read and pass accurately part first.

Yeah the lower in the draft he slips, the more attractive he becomes to a team. Like you said, it is only a second. Missing on a second rounder isn’t going to kill anyone. Especially when we’ll be wasting a year with Roethlisberger anyway.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree with your thoughts in principle.

However, the main issue is the tough schedule. Coupled with everything else, including some tough decisions because of the cap, everything would have to go right. And we know that is unlikely. They will not have a lot of error room, and a couple of injuries, which are inevitable, and it could go south very quickly.

SOS can quickly change with injuries to other teams as well, or strong teams may have down years.

The schedule is brutal, but as I touched on yesterday, Roth gives them a much better chance than Rudolph.

This team has had much worse talent and not finished under 6-10 in over 30 years.

People keep missing that point for some odd reason...

I can’t see where the reasoning comes from with having Roth back they will become some floor mat team like the franchise hasn’t seen in decades... it’s just weird TBTH.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
How dare you. Take that back right now. The beard of the second best Chargers QB in history (possibly third) is full and in no way fake

John Hadl had the worst hair - real or artificial - of any of them. But they all look good when they put those cool Chargers helmets on.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
When Art2 decided to meet with brown after everything you knew he was moron. I'm sure his only concern is not letting the team become a tire fire which would draw too much attention himself. Ben gives them the best chance at going 8-8 at best maybe another wild card loss. The standard is the standard.

Reactions: Hungamania

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
When Art2 decided to meet with brown after everything you knew he was moron. I'm sure his only concern is not letting the team become a tire fire which would draw too much attention himself. Ben gives them the best chance at going 8-8 at best maybe another wild card loss. The standard is the standard.

Yeah that whole thing was bad and when he was posing pics with brown I think he's thinking he's the Lesie Neilson meme "EVERY THING IS FINE" but not only did he look like an idiot but I don't think he realized he was clowned.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I think it's a waste of time and money to bring him back. Jerry Dulak said on The Fan yesterday afternoon that it was his understanding that AR II wanted Ben back. He 's incompetent. He and HCMT frittered away the best years of his career and now that he's basically used up, you want him to come back and play in an offense that he is reluctant to play in. Bravo.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Enjoy the f***ing joke of a season coming up. The team will be even worse next season with the players we'll lose and Ben and his ignorant ass not knowing when to quit.

But don't worry, he's 4 wins better than Rudolph.

4 wins better, 4 yards at a time.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ya because Rudolph is well known for getting the ball down field...

Some people crack me up with the way they rationalize shit.

Steelers with Roth will now be a 4-12 squad when they haven’t finished that poorly in over 30 years because... uh, people want them to and uh...?

Zero common sense if you think Roth won’t scrap together 8 or 9 wins with a better running game and defense that doesn’t generally shit the bed until the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad