The Pittsburgher Thread - Steelers/Football talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
This is a great year to go QB hunting. A good QB is bound to fall down the draft that would otherwise be in the top 15

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This is not a year to go QB hunting in the draft.

I'll eat a shoe if anyone other than Lawrence becomes a Pro Bowl (or better) level QB.

Fix the OL.

We can do that via the draft.

Wilson is going to be awesome but we'd have to give up half our team to move up to #2 overall.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I wonder if Clown will use the doodle playbook as the draft cheat sheet. I guess those stickers really come in handy.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is not a year to go QB hunting in the draft.

I'll eat a shoe if anyone other than Lawrence becomes a Pro Bowl (or better) level QB.

Fix the OL.

We can do that via the draft.

I like Trask. I don't expect he'll be a franchise QB and I don't know whether he'll be a Pro Bowl level QB but I do believe he'll be an NFL starter, a Cousins/Tannehill/Carr type. But I'm a fan and am wrong half the time about projecting college QBs and I'm not going to suggest eating haberdashery.

But I agree the OL is the most important thing. Probably two of the first three picks. If Trask (or Jones) is there with your second pick then maybe, but I wouldn't build my draft around a QB.

OL, TE/LB, OL

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Cam shouldn't have to restructure shit. Ben is the one that should f*** off.
Here is the problem with him just "f***ing off"
gbQAfmI.png

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
You realize these guys don’t lose any money by restructuring, right? In the majority of cases, they get more guaranteed money out of it.
Exactly. It’s all a numbers game and they get more of it up front as a “bonus” usually.

it’s why bens is so inflated anyway. They restructured him numerous times.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Here is the problem with him just "f***ing off"
gbQAfmI.png

There's sizable evidence that they're better off just eating the dead cap anyway.

He may be better than Rudolph next year but the offense playing "Ben Ball" next year - never under center, QB a statue, 5 yard passes everywhere, no play-action - will get eaten alive regardless of if they upgrade on Conner and a couple OL. I think Rudolph running an actual system won't be worse and this allows us to turn the page and retain some of our key defensive guys. Hilton and Sutton at least.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There's sizable evidence that they're better off just eating the dead cap anyway.

He may be better than Rudolph next year but the offense playing "Ben Ball" next year - never under center, QB a statue, 5 yard passes everywhere, no play-action - will get eaten alive regardless of if they upgrade on Conner and a couple OL. I think Rudolph running an actual system won't be worse and this allows us to turn the page and retain some of our key defensive guys. Hilton and Sutton at least.

Roth will also help them win 3-4 more games than Rudolph, which could mean as much as 10-12 spots in next years draft - when they will unequivocally have to replace him.

Ultimately Roth coming back is just a waste of time and hurts this org long term.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Roth will also help them win 3-4 more games than Rudolph, which could mean as much as 10-12 spots in next years draft - when they will unequivocally have to replace him.

Ultimately Roth coming back is just a waste of time and hurts this org long term.

No he won't lol.

The Steelers once the quick pass offense was figured out were pacing to be a 3-win team.

If Indy doesn't collapse they lose the last 6.

But regardless of whether you think Ben is bad (me) or middling (your POV) we do reach the same conclusion that it's time to move on.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No he won't lol.

The Steelers once the quick pass offense was figured out were pacing to be a 3-win team.

If Indy doesn't collapse they lose the last 6.

But regardless of whether you think Ben is bad (me) or middling (your POV) we do reach the same conclusion that it's time to move on.

Trust me - he will find enough younger Roth to keep this team respectable.. say 8-8 or 9-7, than with Rudolph at the helm.

A washed up and decrepit Roth is still twice the QB Rudolph is.

That will translate to several more wins and really hurt their draft ranking.

This team won’t go 5-11 or 6-10 with Roth, and all it will do is waste a year and f*** this org over long term.

Reactions: The Sodfather

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Trust me - he will find enough younger Roth to keep this team respectable.. say 8-8 or 9-7, than with Rudolph at the helm.

A washed up and decrepit Roth is still twice the QB Rudolph is.

That will translate to several more wins and really hurt their draft ranking.

This team won’t go 5-11 or 6-10 with Roth, and all it will do is waste a year and f*** this org over long term.

I don't think we'll see Roth either way, and Rudolph is a little better when you think. But trust me when I say that a Ben Ball team is 4-12 next year. It would be ugly.

If opposing defenses knew they only had to defend a 10 yard field it would be incredibly easy to stop. And that's exactly what happened last year once it was figured out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You realize these guys don’t lose any money by restructuring, right? In the majority of cases, they get more guaranteed money out of it.
It's more so the fact that Cam did it and Ben is just sitting his fat ass being ambiguous about his future.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’ll miss the team having a franchise QB and realize we’ll probably suffer through a bunch of mediocre guys, but man I will not miss Roethlisberger the person at all.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think we'll see Roth either way, and Rudolph is a little better when you think. But trust me when I say that a Ben Ball team is 4-12 next year. It would be ugly.

If opposing defenses knew they only had to defend a 10 yard field it would be incredibly easy to stop. And that's exactly what happened last year once it was figured out.

There’s just no way man.

This org hasn’t finished 4-11 or worse in over 50 years (1969)..

They have had some atrocious QBing with teams mostly devoid of talent and still managed to be at least mediocre in that time frame... their worst record was 5-11 over 30 years ago.

Roth is old and done being a top tier guy, but anyone who thinks he can’t make them a mediocre team isn’t being realistic.

Steelers probably know he’s their best chance of not being a complete shit fest and finishing say 6-10 or whatever since I believe next year is a 17 game schedule (lucky us).

That’s why I’m worried they will bring him back because they can’t accept even a year or two of rebuilding.

I’ll miss the team having a franchise QB and realize we’ll probably suffer through a bunch of mediocre guys, but man I will not miss Roethlisberger the person at all.

Pretty much echos my feelings.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
They should be looking to trade Haden. Too old to extend, but still good enough to get a 3rd or 4th. He’d be wasting what few years he has left in the league on this team. It’s a win-win for everyone involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
They should be looking to trade Haden. Too old to extend, but still good enough to get a 3rd or 4th. He’d be wasting what few years he has left in the league on this team. It’s a win-win for everyone involved.
Yea it sucks because he’s been my favorite DB we’ve had in a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->