The Pittsburgher Thread - Steelers/Football talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I'm so intrigued by Darnold.

You're right about the bust rate of the top QBs because they so often go to garbage organizations/situations. Chicken or egg.

I am as well. He's a good athlete, scrambles and runs well. Plus he has a good arm. Plays for a trash organization. Colts got a good deal for Wentz and the Rams probably way overpaid for Stafford, so who knows what Darnold will cost.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I've never seen an organization crash and burn so soon after winning a SB. They had two great QB's, a great defense and a offensive minded head coach with fresh ideas. Now that are a complete train wreck.

The fresh ideas became un-fresh in a hurry.

Plus I guess the team really didn't believe in the chosen QB, after all.

Reactions: The Sodfather

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've never seen an organization crash and burn so soon after winning a SB. They had two great QB's, a great defense and a offensive minded head coach with fresh ideas. Now that are a complete train wreck.

Wentz was legit as hell... he set the rookie completion record, then was the front runner for league MVP the next year... then blew out his knee and he was never really the same.

Injuries just kept piling up for him after that and the Eagles also gave up a boatload of picks to land Wentz, so I suppose that didn’t help.

They did manage to stockpile high picks though, so Wentz never being the same obviously was their biggest issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Wentz was legit as hell... he set the rookie completion record, then was the front runner for league MVP the next year... then blew out his knee and he was never really the same.

Injuries just kept piling up for him after that and the Eagles also gave up a boatload of picks to land Wentz, so I suppose that didn’t help.

They did manage to stockpile high picks though, so Wentz never being the same obviously was their biggest issue.

Their OL going to hell over the last two years certainly didn't help.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Their OL going to hell over the last two years certainly didn't help.

Probably not, but Wentz was like a young Roth before the knee injury.

Doubt a bad line would have stopped him from being great if that injury never happened.

If I recall correctly, it was on a goal line sneak or something really innocuous.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
If anyone in the Steelers FO is seriously contemplating taking Jamie Newman in the draft, they should be fired

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Probably not, but Wentz was like a young Roth before the knee injury.

Doubt a bad line would have stopped him from being great if that injury never happened.

If I recall correctly, it was on a goal line sneak or something really innocuous.

It was a pass play. Diving for the endzone, someone from the Rams dove into his knee and hit it just wrong. Happens so much, so I wouldn't call it innocuous so much as a fluke.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It was a pass play. Diving for the endzone, someone from the Rams dove into his knee and hit it just wrong. Happens so much, so I wouldn't call it innocuous so much as a fluke.

Ya I found the replay above. I remembered the goal line part right I guess.

Sometimes all it takes is one really bad play and a future star turns into an avg player.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ya I found the replay above. I remembered the goal line part right I guess.

Sometimes all it takes is one really bad play and a future star turns into an avg player.

Not sure how much is the knee eroding his skills and how much is just a case where when he finally came back, the downward trajectory of the Eagles was starting, and he just kind of went with them (where the OL exacerbated and accelerated things).

I suppose we'll know soon enough, because there aren't many situations better with having Frank Reich and all the pieces, including on the line, the Colts have offensively.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not sure how much is the knee eroding his skills and how much is just a case where when he finally came back, the downward trajectory of the Eagles was starting, and he just kind of went with them (where the OL exacerbated and accelerated things).

I suppose we'll know soon enough, because there aren't many situations better with having Frank Reich and all the pieces, including on the line, the Colts have offensively.

I don’t think there is any way to really know, but he never looked the same to me after that injury.

Could be an eroding team around him, or the effects of the knee lingered and messed with his confidence.

Maybe both - doesn’t really matter though because he’s gone now.

You think you have a ten year perennial Pro Bowler and a couple years later he’s traded for meh.

That’s gotta be tough to take as an Eagles fan.

At least they have some actual playoff wins and a SB in the last five years though, so I’m not going to feel too badly for them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t think there is any way to really know, but he never looked the same to me after that injury.

Could be an eroding team around him, or the effects of the knee lingered and messed with his confidence.

You think you have a ten year perennial Pro Bowler and a couple years later he’s traded for meh.

At least they have some actual playoff wins and a SB in the last five years though, so I’m not going to feel too badly for them.

gM2tyFJ.gif

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I've never been a student of the draft, I don't have the patience for it. However, I am somewhat conservative when I do look at the team and their needs. My feeling is they should go center/guard, tackle or the other way around. Then maybe RB. Having said that, where does taking Trask equal good value for the Steelers if they don't have to move to take him?

I am anti-taking a QB unless we know that Ben isn't coming back, and even then, I'm not the biggest fan of this QB class. I think Lawrence will be very good. If Wilson can make the transition to playing under center, I think he has potential to be good. I am most intrigued by Trey Lance, but he's going to need time. If Ben retires and Lance is there, I'd seriously consider taking him.

Value is intrinsic to the person you talk to. Some guys here are strong on Trask in the 1st round. I'd personally lose my mind if they did that. If he were there in the 3rd round, I think that's good value.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

That whole situation is weird. I think Peterson had a lot to do with that. From what I have read Peterson did and said some real unorthodox things to what was considered a franchise QB. I like Wentz, and the truth will come out in the wash, but I could see him going to Indy and lighting it up. The thing with Indy right now is that their offensive line is so incredibly dominant, the skill positions almost don't matter.

Wentz will have a fantastic running game there, and he will remain upright.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That whole situation is weird. I think Peterson had a lot to do with that. From what I have read Peterson did and said some real unorthodox things to what was considered a franchise QB. I like Wentz, and the truth will come out in the wash, but I could see him going to Indy and lighting it up. The thing with Indy right now is that their offensive line is so incredibly dominant, the skill positions almost don't matter.

Ya, he had no real weapons with the Eagles outside of Ertz (who has gone down hill).

So that didn’t really help his cause.

Wentz is a guy I’d love to have had, especially given the price.

I think he would have done quite well in Pgh, as he’s the closest QB to Roth I’ve seen come into the league since ‘04.

He apparently didn’t handle himself well in Philly, however. So have to consider that as well, since there were rumors of issues in the locker room and with the org.

Last edited:

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Pros are a different animal. Saban, Petrino and Spurrier couldn't hack it in the NFL. Carroll has done fine, but it didn't start out well for him. Can't handle grown-assed men like 17-18 year old high school kids.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
*see also, Jackson, Bo.

Ya I was thinking of him as I wrote that.

That one I remembered well and it was a nothing play supposedly. His left foot just went out a little awkwardly and it blew out his hip - sometimes that’s all it takes is a fluke.

“He doesn’t appear to be seriously injured”

Just a slightly bad take with hindsight.

He popped his hip out and severed a blood vessel, so he was bleeding inside his hip and all of his cartilage died.

Needed a hip replacement and he was done.

Gruseome as hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Sodfather

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Ya, he had no real weapons with the Eagles outside of Ertz (who has gone down hill).

So that didn’t really help his cause.

Wentz is a guy I’d love to have had, especially given the price.

I think he would have done quite well in Pgh, as he’s the closest QB to Roth I’ve seen come into the league since ‘04.

He apparently didn’t handle himself well in Philly, however. So have to consider that as well, since there were rumors of issues in the locker room and with the org.

There were a lot of questions about Wentz's leadership and whether he commanded the locker room.

Obviously in the cosmic scale of things these pale in comparisons to the questions about Ben's...potential criminality...but in the sense of getting a franchise quarterback it's quite important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad