The Pittsburgher Thread - Steelers/Football talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How many quarterbacks did they go through over how many years between Bradshaw and Rothlisburger? Each more forgetable than the last. I looked it up one time. It is a sickening list, and surprising how long it is.

I put the list up several months ago in here and it was depressing.

I wish Roth didn’t have to retire, but it’s time to move on.

The catch 22 is that it could be another 25 years until they have a franchise guy again.

I’d like to think they would go all out to get their next franchise guy, knowing without a great QB it’s hopeless in this league, but I also won’t be shocked to see them spend several years wasting away on the Rudolph and Kent Grahams of the league.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Well when your cap hit as it stands is 41 million I wouldn’t expect a very good one.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The catch 22 is that it could be another 25 years until they have a franchise guy again.

I’d like to think they would go all out to get their next franchise guy, knowing without a great QB it’s hopeless in this league, but I also won’t be shocked to see them spend several years wasting away on the Rudolph and Kent Grahams of the league.

Just because I love depressing people, a partial list:

Cliff Stoudt
Mark Malone
David Woodley
Scott Campbell
Bubby Brister
Steve Bono
Reggie Collier
Todd Blackledge
Rick Strom
Neil O’Donnell
Mike Tomczak
Jim Miller
Kordell Stewart
Mike Quinn
Pete Gonzalez
Kent Graham
Tommy Maddox
Charlie Batch.

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Cliff Stoudt
Mark Malone
David Woodley
Scott Campbell
Bubby Brister
Steve Bono
Reggie Collier
Todd Blackledge
Rick Strom
Neil O’Donnell
Mike Tomczak
Jim Miller
Kordell Stewart
Mike Quinn
Pete Gonzalez
Kent Graham
Tommy Maddox
Charlie Batch.

I was too young to watch the first four.. think I saw Malone play a little though.

When I was a kid I thought Brister would be our Montana or maybe Jim McMahon.

Neil OD and Stewart were the only slightly above avg of this woeful crew.

Reggie Collier isn’t ring a bell... who the hell was he?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was too young to watch the first four.. think I saw Malone play a little though.

One of the first dual threat QB's.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
One of the first dual threat QB's.

Looks like he played a couple games in ‘87 for them... I was starting to follow the Steelers then, but have no recollection of this guy...

I even remember Delton Hall returning a TD agt the 9ers that season in the season opening stunner.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Penguins did too. Went back to back. Then dummy comes back. Up a goal in the 3rd of Game 5 to the Stanley Cup winners. Dummy goes for a line change while the Caps have possession at their blue line and breaking out. Leaves the whole middle of the ice open for a breakaway. Game, series, and season over. Should've been a 3peat.

Letang makes @SouthGeorge blood boil to a crisp

tenor.gif

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Cliff Stoudt
Mark Malone
David Woodley
Scott Campbell
Bubby Brister
Steve Bono
Reggie Collier
Todd Blackledge
Rick Strom
Neil O’Donnell
Mike Tomczak
Jim Miller
Kordell Stewart
Mike Quinn
Pete Gonzalez
Kent Graham
Tommy Maddox
Charlie Batch.

That's a fairly shitty list. However, there was still a legit chance with at least two of those.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Have we moved on from talking about Watt? Not that I think there's any legit way he comes here. Nor does he make a ton of sense absent a revamp of the defense.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Frankly, nothing compared to watching Mark Malone throwing 8 yards into the dirt to receivers who had run 12 yard out patterns.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I turned on Colin Cowherd while driving today. He was talking about Colbert's words. And then he threw out the name for the Steelers that is going to ring for you like a recording of @Jaded-Fan singing in the shower . . .

Sam Darnold

:arr:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Kordell blew, he was well below average. He's the biggest reason they didn't make the SB in 97 and 01.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kordell blew, he was well below average. He's the biggest reason they didn't make the SB in 97 and 01.

Uh, nah. Well below avg was Kent Graham and many others on that woeful list.

Stewart was an avg starter that also helped generate yards on the ground as well.

He helped get them to two championship games, where he shit the bed, because he wasn’t a franchise guy.

However, his accomplishments were much better than the other dregs of the league on that list, except Neil O’D.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Stewart was an avg starter that also helped generate yards on the ground as well.

He helped get them to two championship games, where he shit the bed, because he wasn’t a franchise guy.

However, his accomplishments were much better than the other dregs of the league on that list, except Neil O’D.
He was exceptionally inaccurate and got carried by the team around him. If you think Kordell was an above average player you don't understand the sport, sorry.

It's not like Maddox was anything special, but the team improved enormously once Stewart got benched in 2002.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Collier was a replacement player during the '87 strike.

I actually had a Malone jersey.:laugh:

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I turned on Colin Cowherd while driving today. He was talking about Colbert's words. And then he threw out the name for the Steelers that is going to ring for you like a recording of @Jaded-Fan singing in the shower . . .

Sam Darnold

:arr:

Cowherd's a putz. The only other QB's they are going to bring in are camp arms probably even if Ben retires or is relased outright. That's why they jumped on a cheap possible reclamation project like Haskins. If they had cap room, they wouldn't be messing with him. He stinks, but there's little financial risk there.

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.

Kent Graham was horrible. Couldn't move, couldn't throw. I honestly think he was a zombie. Like a Night if the Living Dead, slow ass zombie. He was worse than Ryan Leaf and Todd Marijuanavich.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He was exceptionally inaccurate and got carried by the team around him. If you think Kordell was an above average player you don't understand the sport, sorry.

It's not like Maddox was anything special, but the team improved enormously once Stewart got benched in 2002.

Based on posting history, I’m pretty sure I know more about this sport than you my man.

Stewart was the first QB in NFL history to throw for 20 TD and rush for 10 in the same season, later on he made the Pro Bowl, got to two championship games and actually you know, won some playoffs games - which is apparently a rare thing in Pgh these days.

Anyone calling him well below avg is pretty clueless about what he was able to accomplish. If he was so well below avg and carried by his team, why didn’t Maddox, Graham, or Tomczak take them to any championship games?

Stewart was better than anyone else they had aside from Neil OD, and the results speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I never realized how rough it was during the 90s and early 00s until Ben got here. But they were able to lean on their run game in those eras. The current NFL era would be less forgiving to this team with the parade of mediocrity like they had pre Ben. They definitely need to address draft capital to the position, which will weaken other areas of the team. Hopefully their scouts hit on someone, or they can find a way to be opportunistic in FA.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
what’s it say? I don’t have access...

There’s nothing really groundbreaking in it. It basically just recaps everything Colbert said today. Two sides haven’t really negotiated, Ben needs to take a pay cut, due to the cap they’ll lose a lot of free agents so Ben wants to see what type of team they might be able to put together, yada yada.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I never realized how rough it was during the 90s and early 00s until Ben got here. But they were able to lean on their run game in those eras. The current NFL era would be less forgiving to this team with the parade of mediocrity like they had pre Ben. They definitely need to address draft capital to the position, which will weaken other areas of the team. Hopefully their scouts hit on someone, or they can find a way to be opportunistic in FA.

A much higher % of quarterbacks hit now than back then.

The game is designed to be much simpler for them, uses their mobility (yes, every quarterback sans the GOAT and the Ben has it) and they are almost always pass-happy in college.

If you take 25 years to find a good QB these days, you suck as an organization period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad