The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh yay an evening game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Rudolph has most of the tools you want. Hodges can just run a little better.

I think we kind of got a little taste yesterday of just how well Rudolph was actually doing, despite all this nonsense about passes traveling a certain distance.

Montana became the greatest of all time living off the slant and short game. He nickel and dimed teams to death with the West Coast offense and he and Walsh redefined the game that way.

I just wish Rudolph had the confidence to plant and fire the way Hodges does. Rudolph has more natural talent, better deep ball and doesn't force bad throws. But he has left a lot of meat on the bone on the intermediate routes, and that will likely come in time, but that one aspect cones naturally to Hodges.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Well, the Steelers tend to run their mouths whether they are winning or losing...

99% of the NFL does. It's not just a Steeler specific trait.

But Rivers is one of the few that talks a big game, but gets SUPPPPPPEERR butt hurt when hes on the other end of it.

The scene with Hilton being a prime example.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The steelers first 3 opponents are now 15 -1 lol. Damn. A shame we faced them when switching from Ben to Mason. Stilll barely lost to Seattle and SF. Now we need them all to take care of the Ravens. Thatll make up for it.

Btw we are now 8th worst in the league...so Miami is getting the 8th pick for Fitzpatrick. More worth it? Ha...and with our schedule its gonna be way lower. With Miami being the team we play coming out of the break. Then two big games against Colts and Rams(who are struggling) at home.

Mason has to play against the Dolphins to get him prepared for the Colts.

I said if we win last night we are back in it. Yeah 2 games behind the Ravens but they play Pats, Niners, Seattle, Houston and us again the last week of season.

Also wonder with the win,Colbert makes a move at the trade deadline to help the WR corps.

Reactions: Pengwins

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Right now Devin Bush isn't just putting up numbers good enough to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year, he's putting up numbers that are similar to what Ray Lewis did in 2003 when he won Defensive Player of the Year.

Crazy how great players are always around the ball for turnovers. Kept hearing he was gifted those recoveries but how many times do we see guys overrun a fumble..let alone pick it up and run it back? 2 INTs(1 TD), 1 sack, 4 FR, 54 tackles(3 for loss). Hes helped our run game big time. We are fially stuffing the run again at the LOS. To the point teams are becoming one dimensional. And both the Ravens and Chargers had great running games heading into our matchup. Held Ravens to 2.6 ypc(by far season low) and 33 total yards to Chargers. And thats now 15 TOs in Last 5 games. Had zero against the Pats of course ...out of that game right away with Ben being a mess so Im not counting that. That spriraled out of control. Our D actually forced 4 straight points and it took a passs from Eldeman to get them going. 25 forced passes to Moncrief, Switzer, Holton for 35 yards lol.

Anyway, this is with Bush not even being his best yet. Still young and making mistakes. Just wait til he learns more . It took Shazier a few years(tho he didnt have the help Bush does so hard to compare),...sky is the limit for this kid. 21 years old.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The steelers first 3 opponents are now 15 -1 lol. Damn. A shame we faced them when switching from Ben to Mason. Stilll barely lost to Seattle and SF. Now we need them all to take care of the Ravens. Thatll make up for it.

Btw we are now 8th worst in the league...so Miami is getting the 8th pick for Fitzpatrick. More worth it? Ha...and with our schedule its gonna be way lower. With Miami being the team we play coming out of the break. Then two big games against Colts and Rams(who are struggling) at home.

Mason has to play against the Dolphins to get him prepared for the Colts.

I said if we win last night we are back in it. Yeah 2 games behind the Ravens but they play Pats, Niners, Seattle, Houston and us again the last week of season.

Also wonder with the win,Colbert makes a move at the trade deadline to help the WR corps.

Ya with Washington being out he has to do something.

I'd hate to trade away more picks but someone like Dez Bryant is gonna be a no go so....

But someone gotta get out there and help relieve the double teams JuJu is getting.

Because besides johnson doing a bit not a single other reciever is doing anything at all. Like nothing...

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
99% of the NFL does. It's not just a Steeler specific trait.

But Rivers is one of the few that talks a big game, but gets SUPPPPPPEERR butt hurt when hes on the other end of it.

The scene with Hilton being a prime example.

Refs should have flagged Rivers and he should be fined. They flagged Charger guy for slapping ball out of Snell's hands and Bush got flagged for pointing. They should have ejected Rivers lmao

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Really hate to be That Guy because I enjoy the brand of offensive football we've seen under Ben but this defense and utterly dominating most of time of possession (garbage time 4th aside)? Man, that's Steeler Football.

And i callled it. Lol i f***ing knew we would get unlucky that our D would finally be back by the time our offense took a step back.. Now I didnt know we would lose all the killer Bs at once. Thats just crazy bad luck but damn. Imagine this D with our offense from last 5 years? We are talking 3 wins out of 4 years...instead of Pats. Yes even with Tomlin. Our talent would overcome that. And we were on our way til we lost Shazier. We had him and Burns/Davis/Hargrave all as rookies making our D much better to go with Heyward/Tuitt/Vince. The D was solid but still very young and Shazier was the glue. They were lost without him...and we should have had backups. Prepared for injuries. We get them every year...why they didnt realize that by then is beyond me. And of course it was the first year our offense stayed healthy lol. Losing 45-42 to Jags. If we get by that i think we def beat the Pats(that was the Jesse James catch year...where we had them). The year before we had no Bryant, Bell, Juju, Vance/James etc. Against them in AFCC. It was Brown with Eli Rogers and Cobi Hamilton....not a chance.

Anyway Pats always have backups and split playing time so guys stay fresh and others get experience. While Tomlin plays our starters 100% of snaps lol. So dumb. Games like last night we should have seen heavy dose of players like Ulyssses Gilbert and Ola Adeniyi. How many times have we seen Watt gassed in the 4th? 1. That leads to worse play...2. leads to injures...3...no experience for your backups.

Of course the Pats XFL schedule allows them to split time but we have games where we could as well. Im just sick of losing play off games due to injuries to players we simply can't lose. And yes thats a legit excuse when you dont have the coaching to make up for it. We need all of our talent. And our talent is better than the Pats.

Anyway as for the offense. Yes we def need to add a WR before deadline. Which is a day after our Miami game. We dont have the picks but we have players we could trade. Theres teams who have FA WRs they dont plan on keeping that would take a player like Artie Burns for example. His first two years in the league and drafted in first(with this being his only team so far) still gives him value.. To us? No. But i see this all the time around the league. Eli Aplle looked horrible on the Giants...Saints gave up a 3rd rounder for him. Hes been solid there. Id say we could trade Sean Davis too but hes on IR. But speaking of him...he should provide solid backup play for us later on when healthy. Maybe even as a starter over Edmunds ....Minkah at FS and Davis at SS? Give me that this year than Edmunds right now who is not ready yet and feel like is the weak link on that D. No idea why hes getting 100% of snaps instead of easing him in...slowing things down for him. Colbert def went and got Minkah so Edmunds wouldn't bust too(got him right after seeing him get beat on that long td pass from Metcalf). Obviously losing Davis ( now and not keeping him going forward) played a role too.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Also...i say this alot but amazing how that 2017 draft basically saved this team. Watt, Juju, Sutton(getting better and better), and Conner. Especially since we lost Bell and Brown. I dont think we even trade up for Bush let alone trade for Fitz if not for that draft. Would have just went full rebuild.

And Mason in 2018 draft replacing Ben. Add Minkah to that class. With JW, Samuels, and Edmunds(really need him to develop...good news is hes smart enough to do it unlike some others i wont name). And the fact Bush is already playing this well. I can see Colbert deciding to add a WR for this year. If we lost last night then no...season was a wrap. But we are right in this. And the fact we have to release Moncrief to get our 3rd round comp pick back....makes it even more of an easy decision to trade for a rental.

Even if its a 2021 pick...so be it. Can worry about adding picks back later on. Like I said...with Ben...Hodges...and whatever other players we dont plan on keeping. I think Colbert got started on this train and hes gonna stay on it now. While Diontae Johnson is doing good for a rookie...hes a rookie. They are too inconsistent. Esespecially come playoff time(ive already mentioned a thousand times how unlucky we got having AB/Sanders as rookies in the SB against the Packers). I keep saying Emmanuel Sanders is the guy we willl trade for. Hes been here. He mentioned last year he would like to come back. And now we have a trade history with the Broncos(trading up for Bush) ...but they just won 2 in a row. Another Id love is Golden Tate. Who was traded at last year's deadline... But I cant see Giants moving him with the anount of injuries they have already and wanting Daniel Jones to develop. But give them a good offer and you never know.

Or give the Skins Tomlin for Terry McLaurin lol. I said i dont trust rookie WRs but id make an exception for him. And they wouldn't have to give us a first(Gruden landed Raiders 2 firsts and 2 2nds). Obviously Not happening. But they are a team to look at...WR Paul Richardson is legit.

Either way...they need to be looking at adding a vet WR who can move the chains. Not worried about one who can go deep...too much is made out of that. Juju can do that...DJ can. Washington can. They keep trying it with Johnny Holton for some reason. Maybe by week 17 he will catch one. Give me a WR who can pick up first downs...who knows where that line is and doesnt stop short of it on his routes. Someone who can get the tough catches over the middle...while also getting open over the middle. Giving our young QBs another WR they can spot quickly, so they dont hang onto it too long.

Juju, trade(E. Sanders, Golden Tate, Paul Richardson), DJ, and Washington. How much better does that sound? This bye week Colbert really needs to be busy....we need to add a WR. Juju only getting 1 catch on 4 targets proved that. Conner was a beast last night and the main reason our offense did enough to win it(with the help of our D ....Which we needed in the Seattle/SF/Ravens games)

Our window is now after trading up for Bush and then Fitz. And with us needing to re-sign 2017 class soon while our Oline and Dline are getting up there while making over 10mil(guys like DeCastro, Tuitt, Heyward, Pouncey all over 10 mil a year). Yeah we dont have many picks next year but you can just keep moving up and trading picks from the year after. f*** it. Thats what going all in is. Build your team all around your core and the players on their rookie deals. Once we have to reup guys like Watt, Juju, Conner, we won't be able to sign guys like Steven Nelson anymore. Or have our Oline/Dline making that much money. So with the situation we are in...id go for it all. Trade at this deadline and trade back into first round for 2020 draft by giving up the 2021 first. Pats constantly made moves to win theirs.

Brown counting 20mil dead cap this year prevented us from adding a top FA. Ben will count 20mil dead cap if we move on from him next year so im curious what they do there. It would have to be a situation where Mason is clear cut franchise QB and we receive a early enough draft pick/player on rookie deal to help us next season for example where cap wouldn't matter

An interesting few years coming up. Getting that win last night was huge..and want to see what Colbert does going forward. And if they do have the guts to trade Tomlin to Skins(if they are for real about that)

Last edited:
Reactions: theicebox

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Really hate to be That Guy because I enjoy the brand of offensive football we've seen under Ben but this defense and utterly dominating most of time of possession (garbage time 4th aside)? Man, that's Steeler Football.
I feel the same way. I'm all for offense in every sport but it's nice to have a semi reliable defense. Bush and Watt and Minkah make a huge difference. It's a shame Heyward is passed his prime. He would have made this into an elite unit.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Burns was fine.....have to realize today's game isn't anything like the past. You are gonna let up catches. Alot of his were when we were playing back more in the 4th quarter.

As for Hunter Henry...nobody was stopping him. Dude is a beast and on his way to becomjng the best TE in league if he stays healthy. Which btw I wanted in draft...but we took Burns instead(Henry went 35th overall)...oops.

Burns first game back...on SNF.. I liked his overall game. For someone who had zero defensive snaps coming in(again something i dont get about tomlin having starters play all of the snaps).

Burns rep is way worse than it should be. Some team is gonna luck out next year getting him cheap. 4 INTs and 26 pass breakups(lead the league) his first two seaons...being put in there as a 20 year old rookie. Tomlin was way too hard on him when we had plenty of guys play like shit. Not excusing Burns..he def sucked at times. But Coty Sensabaugh did too. Along with many others.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I just wish Rudolph had the confidence to plant and fire the way Hodges does. Rudolph has more natural talent, better deep ball and doesn't force bad throws. But he has left a lot of meat on the bone on the intermediate routes, and that will likely come in time, but that one aspect cones naturally to Hodges.

I think Rudolph would show better if he was allowed to have the reigns removed.

Right now the offense as designed is doing neither QB any favors: Run run pass

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Crazy how great players are always around the ball for turnovers. Kept hearing he was gifted those recoveries but how many times do we see guys overrun a fumble..let alone pick it up and run it back? 2 INTs(1 TD), 1 sack, 4 FR, 54 tackles(3 for loss). Hes helped our run game big time. We are fially stuffing the run again at the LOS. To the point teams are becoming one dimensional. And both the Ravens and Chargers had great running games heading into our matchup. Held Ravens to 2.6 ypc(by far season low) and 33 total yards to Chargers. And thats now 15 TOs in Last 5 games. Had zero against the Pats of course ...out of that game right away with Ben being a mess so Im not counting that. That spriraled out of control. Our D actually forced 4 straight points and it took a passs from Eldeman to get them going. 25 forced passes to Moncrief, Switzer, Holton for 35 yards lol.

Anyway, this is with Bush not even being his best yet. Still young and making mistakes. Just wait til he learns more . It took Shazier a few years(tho he didnt have the help Bush does so hard to compare),...sky is the limit for this kid. 21 years old.

Yeah, Bush has unreal potential - even more than I think we thought and most of us were pretty high on him. He plays the game so fast he just knows where to be.

I was thinking the other day, with as good as he has been, what if we were actually able to land him at 20? What a f***in steal that would have been. We would then have an extra couple picks. Using hindsight, keeping him and Winovich together would have been an absolute blast to watch.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Yeah, Bush has unreal potential - even more than I think we thought and most of us were pretty high on him. He plays the game so fast he just knows where to be.

I was thinking the other day, with as good as he has been, what if we were actually able to land him at 20? What a ****in steal that would have been. We would then have an extra couple picks. Using hindsight, keeping him and Winovich together would have been an absolute blast to watch.

Do you think the Pats would have passed on Winovich if we let Chickillo go to them in the offseason? I doubt it, but I’ve wondered about it a few times.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well Tuitt likely to miss at least a few games and could miss whole season. Even if they decide no surgery he will be playing hurt like last time.

So this happening before the deadline....we need to add a DE. Getting sick of him getting hurt and getting paid so much. I was talking about trades earlier...hes honestly one we need to consider trading once we have to re-sign others.

In meantime id Try Hargrave in his spot. Go Alaulu in middle. We dont really use much of a base package anyway but Tuitt was dominating OL. Allowing Dupree to get there much easier. They may have to switch some things up and luckily with a bye week and then Miami before playing the Colts and Rams.

Isaiah Buggs should have been dressing...never know what he could have done by now. And he should def dress against Miami. There's options they could go with(even Watt in Tuitts spot with Vince Williams on outside LB). Watt has proven he can play with hands on ground...theyd just have to switch up schemes to allow the DEs to rush passer more and OLBs taking up blockers...etc). They still have the talent without Tuitt but this is what I was referring to. And we have two weeks before d3adline...theres plenty of FA DEs we could trade for. Or even someone with term since we are going to let Hargrave walk anyway. Again, coming back to the Skins....DE Jonathan Allen and WR Terry McLaurin for Tomlin lol.

Jokes aside Id kill to get Ryan Kerrigan from them. They use him as OLB but he can play DE as well. His numbers are what it should be for what he is paid(same as Tuitt)...

Ryan Kerrigan Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

And signed til 2021. He could replace Tuitt this year....replace Bud Dupree next year as our OLB while we find one without taking a step bac(having to replzce both Bud and Hargrave).

We really need to make this trade happen with the Skins lol. A few players(hes 31 and not part of their rebuild) and picks for The top coach in the league Mike Tomlin.

Btw Skins just drafted Jonathan Allen DL, Daron Payne DL, and Montez Sweat OLB all in first round so theyd def be willing to move Kerrigan this deadline. And like I said he fills two needs for us. Tuitt(possibly) this year and Dupree next year while we look for his replacement. And cant keep going with all young players....need some vets. Would allow us to focus our 2nd rounder on yes another WR(too much talent too pass up) or TE if one of the top 2 drop to our pick. Or even a DL to replace Hargrave....going with someone like DT Rashard Lawrence LSU or Edge guy in Kenny Willekes from MSU. Since we dont really "need " a NT type anymore with how our D is. Heyward - Tuitt- Willekes on the line would be crazy or Kenny could play OLB to replace Bud. While we sign a DT to replace Hargrave for time being.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I was thinking the other day, with as good as he has been, what if we were actually able to land him at 20? What a ****in steal that would have been. We would then have an extra couple picks. Using hindsight, keeping him and Winovich together would have been an absolute blast to watch.

Well we would have but every player the Steelers are linked to see their value jump wayyyy up. LVE was a 2nd rounder til all the talk about him being our guy. William Jackson? Bengals take. Bush? He was mid 20s to early 2nd due to height til the rumors about us. When have you seen a 5'11 ILB taken top 10? Lol come on. Youd think with our recent history teams would have stopped copying our cheat sheet...but the Shazier/Watt picks overcame the few bad ones. And notice Watt wasnt linked to us the whole time? We need to stop leaking that. Start inviting guys we arent planning on taking....to dinner. We dont need to invite our first rounders. We have enough info.

Teams constantly copying us. And yes Pats too. Belichick did refuse to for awhile based on pride alone but with how bad they are at drafting(along with the injuries) even they started going with our guys. Not to mention they love our ex players. Def should have let them have Chickillo. And I still dont buy Arians wanted DJ "that high". He may have been saying he just wanted him. If we could have landed Bush, Winovich, DJ.....that would have been perfect. Everyone got excited about the Layne pick but I never cared for it. Watch plenty of Mich and MSU living here....I wanted Bush and Winovich since the college season started. Cant believe those two became the fan favs.

Winovich is 24 already but again...with our window...that doesnt matter. Hed be perfect across from Watt. And perfect as our #3 this year. Subbing in for both OLBs. Even taking over for Tuitt if he misses the season. Us going with all 3 Watt, Winovich, and Dupree with Heywayrd and Hargrave up front. Bush and Vince as the ILBs...it wouldn't hurt our run game and pass rush would be just as good. Actually allowing Hargrave to get more sacks(QB hits).

Anyway, its time we prepare to not only replace Bud and Hargrave but Tuitt as well. Tuitt is somone we could trade next year for example. Yeah a ton of talent but I cant count how many top end DEs we passed on in the draft cuz we already had Heyward and Tuitt. That has to stop. Especially now that we are stacked with DBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->