The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Adams' issues weren't anywhere near as serious at Mathieu's are.

Adams seems to be more of the across-the-board smoker that is found in the league. I guarantee you at least half of the league smokes regularly...it's an issue of being dumb about it. If you're too stupid to know when and where to do such a thing then it brings in major concerns about your devotion to the game and your intelligence.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh, I see. Yeah I'm not familiar with Tyrann Mathieu, I never even heard of him lol, I do remember Mike Adams having off field issues and the Steelers took a chance on him, but if Mathieu has a serious off field issues and behaviors, then I don't see the Steelers even thinking about him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

#Steelers President Art Rooney confirms that Haley is interviewing for #Cardinals job.

Arizona - please take him.

Art, stay the **** out of football operations. You aren't your father. Football acumen can indeed skip a generation.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I like Haley, I think he's a good coach and it was a smart decision to hire him. However, the team didn't seem to respond and give the results everyone was looking for. So maybe it will be in the Steelers best interest to promote Kirby Wilson.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah I don't see issues with Haley. He made Ben get hit less, helped his completion percentage, turned Miller into the beast we knew he could be. I don't see issues with that at all? Towards the end, you could just feel Ben was refusing to use his routes. That isn't Haley's fault, in my opinion.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I don't see issues with Haley. He made Ben get hit less, helped his completion percentage, turned Miller into the beast we knew he could be. I don't see issues with that at all? Towards the end, you could just feel Ben was refusing to use his routes. That isn't Haley's fault, in my opinion.

I agree, we were 6-3 and we were #1 in the league on 3rd down conversions. When Ben got hurt, our season fell apart. If Haley and Roethlisberger can't co-exist, you let go of Haley, I know that's like the Capitals with Ovechkin and Boudreau, but when it comes to coach for franchise player, you rarely trade the franchise player in favor of the coach.

I don't care what Ben says or what the media said, Roethlisberger does not like Todd Haley being the offensive coordinator of this team.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Any love for Tyrann Mathieu? If there's interest in spending one of those 3rd/4th picks on a QB who we'd have to tune up to our liking, why not use it on a CB/KR with decent potential? He's apparently quit smoking weed, too.

Hell ****ing no. Dude isn't good in man to man, and he's got serious issues.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Haley may not be a bad OC, but he's not a fit in Pittsburgh. Ben is not a dink-and-dunk QB. Trying to change him will not work.

Also, I understand the Steelers felt Arians called too many high-risk plays, but was that an excuse to pretty much go in the extreme opposite this season? Yes, I understand they don't want Ben hurt, and they're obsessed with time of possession, but a) Ben got hurt anyways, and b) scoring a TD in 2 minutes is better than a FG after 8 minutes.

At some point, the Steelers have to stop worrying about all the bad things that "could" happen and just go play.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010

Burgundy name???? What is this madness?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I agree that Haley is a good coach.

Ben was fantastic before his injury. His injury unfortunately was to his throwing shoulder which probably effected him quite a bit once he came back. He clearly wasn't the same player after the injury.

I don't think it's good to have 3 coordinators in 3 years. I don't see how that's a recipe for the offense to get better. There's always an adjustment period to a new OC. I'd rather continue building with Haley but the Cards may take that option away from the Steelers if they chose him as their new HC.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Too much of the early success the Steelers had was a result of Ben bailing the team out on 3rd & longs. Putting any QB in that situation that often is tempting fate.

Instead, Ben needs to be allowed to try and win the games early next year. Then in the fourth they can worry about possession. Art Rooney II needs to accept the NFL isn't the old-school league he wants it to be.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Too much of the early success the Steelers had was a result of Ben bailing the team out on 3rd & longs. Putting any QB in that situation that often is tempting fate.

Instead, Ben needs to be allowed to try and win the games early next year. Then in the fourth they can worry about possession. Art Rooney II needs to accept the NFL isn't the old-school league he wants it to be.

Disagree. There were some amazing plays set up for Miller. In fact, there were times where Haley would call off Brown/Wallace from the field, and we would run a PAP for 10+ yards to a TE. It was brilliant psychology.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I'm not saying let go of Haley, if the Cards don't hire him and he wants to stay, keep him. But I don't think the Steelers would be upset to lose him.

Steelers players can improve the offense under Haley or Wilson, #1 goal is to improve that offense, work on ball security.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Disagree. There were some amazing plays set up for Miller. In fact, there were times where Haley would call off Brown/Wallace from the field, and we would run a PAP for 10+ yards to a TE. It was brilliant psychology.

Too often there was too much run, run, pass that put Ben in unnecessary 3rd and longs.

Sorry, but in my opinion it was Ben who made Haley look good. Not the other way around.

Also, 8-8 doesn't lie.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
8-8 happened for a lot of reasons other than just Haley. I don't think the season would have gone much different with Arians or anybody else calling plays. The O-Line was decimated by years end, the QB got hurt, the D had a piss poor pass rush, too many turnovers at times, not enough takeaways by the D. Troy missed the bulk of the year. Harrison didn't get going until very late in the season. Woodley was horrible. The list of reasons they were 8-8 is almost endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad