The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Pitt up big so far against #19 Georgetown. Got another half to go though and they really need this game. I think they've lost 15 out of their last 20 big east games and already 0-2 in conference this season.

Thanks for the heads up. Switched to game now. (currently halftime)

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
So that Rex Ryan tattoo was real

Apparently. He said he's getting the number on the jersey changed though if Sanchez doesn't start playing better. :laugh:

I still find it incredibly creepy that anybody, let alone an NFL HC, would get that tattoo. What a weird dude.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Apparently. He said he's getting the number on the jersey changed though if Sanchez doesn't start playing better. :laugh:

I still find it incredibly creepy that anybody, let alone an NFL HC, would get that tattoo. What a weird dude.

At least it wasn't his wife's foot tattooed on him. :laugh:

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
If we don't get Warmack, I wouldn't be opposed to pick Barrett Jones in second round if he's available. He's very versatile, capable of playing at any position on line. I think center might be his best position but I could see him playing guard for Steelers. He's very technical on his blocking and very intelligent.

I think he may be taken in late first round and early second round.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm on the fence about drafting a QB, at first I was for it, then I didn't think it would make sense. But Honestly, if you look at the quality of back up QBs on the market, there aren't really upgrades over Leftwich/Batch and I wouldn't use an early pick on one.

Honestly, I think E.J. Manuel would fit this team. He reminds me a little bit of Roethlisberger, big frame, athetic, playmaking QB. He's projected to go near the end of the 4th round, if he's there when we're about to pick in the 4th round, I would take him.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So to clearify, the Pirates have the 9th and 14th pick in the 2013 draft? I read a mock draft, Milwaukee has the 9th pick and the Pirates have the 15th pick. I just wasn't sure if that was accurate.

What mock was that?

It is in cement that the Pirates have the 9th and 14th picks. The Pirates are the only team that failed to sign their 1st rounder last year, so we're the only team getting a compensation pick within the first round.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
yeah, I checked a different mock and it showed the Pirates having the 9th and 14th pick. The mock I was talking about was this one.

http://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2013/

but then I searched for another mock and found this one that had the Pirates at 9 and 14.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

I was curious because I knew I heard the Pirates had the 9th pick as compensation for not signing Appel, I was a little confused.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
yeah, I checked a different mock and it showed the Pirates having the 9th and 14th pick. The mock I was talking about was this one.

http://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2013/

but then I searched for another mock and found this one that had the Pirates at 9 and 14.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

I was curious because I knew I heard the Pirates had the 9th pick as compensation for not signing Appel, I was a little confused.

Holy facepalm, Batman, he has that entire order screwed up. How do you so royally screw up the 1st overall pick? He has San Diego picking 1st (they pick 13th) while the real 1st overall holder he has going 4th (Houston). Milwaukee drafts 17th (not 9th). St. Louis 20th (not 13th). Los Angeles 19th (not 30th). Cleveland 5th (not 18th). Miami 6th (Not 25th). Almost every pick there is wrong :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If the team were to draft Manuel, we'd have to break him down and completely build him back up. I don't like doing that with QB's, as I see a QB's throwing motion just like a pitchers. Either you draft the guy and leave him be, or don't draft him at all. That's just my opinion.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
What exactly is wrong with Manuel? He looked great in his bowl game. Although that was a difficult game to judge him given the fact that they played such an over matched Northern Illinois team that probably couldn't expose any of his weaknesses.

I've seen Manuel projected in the 3rd or 4th round. I like him but I think I'd pass. We have bigger needs. I'd look for a QB a little later in the draft.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Any love for Tyrann Mathieu? If there's interest in spending one of those 3rd/4th picks on a QB who we'd have to tune up to our liking, why not use it on a CB/KR with decent potential? He's apparently quit smoking weed, too.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What exactly is wrong with Manuel? He looked great in his bowl game. Although that was a difficult game to judge him given the fact that they played such an over matched Northern Illinois team that probably couldn't expose any of his weaknesses.

I've seen Manuel projected in the 3rd or 4th round. I like him but I think I'd pass. We have bigger needs. I'd look for a QB a little later in the draft.

Throwing motion needs some work. Not a quick release, and the ball comes off at a low point which is getting passes tipped at the college level. Because the ball takes a while to come out of his hands, DB's get the jump on his passes.

That being said, he's huge, has good mobility, and is a guy a team can rally around.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Any love for Tyrann Mathieu? If there's interest in spending one of those 3rd/4th picks on a QB who we'd have to tune up to our liking, why not use it on a CB/KR with decent potential? He's apparently quit smoking weed, too.

If this team wouldn't put up with Santonio Holmes, there's no way in hell they're going to deal with Tyrann Mathieu.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I love watching him play but the character concerns me a lot with him. I don't think I'd spend a 3rd on him. He would be more tempting in the 4th if he's still on the board.
Throwing motion needs some work. Not a quick release, and the ball comes off at a low point which is getting passes tipped at the college level. Because the ball takes a while to come out of his hands, DB's get the jump on his passes.

That being said, he's huge, has good mobility, and is a guy a team can rally around.

Interesting. Thanks for the little scouting report. :)

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
If this team wouldn't put up with Santonio Holmes, there's no way in hell they're going to deal with Tyrann Mathieu.

I understand, but it sounds as though Mathieu is serious about changing.

He's undergoing regular drug testing from an anonymous, but certified, testing company. By the time of the combine, he will have had 32 tests to show the NFL that he's clean, Lawlor said.

For the next two weeks, he's in Arizona with Peterson Jr., who is putting him through some intensive drills to prepare him for life as a cornerback in the NFL. He's a solid 182 pounds, his eyes are bright, and his presence exudes a spirit of calm resolve.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/01/former_lsu_star_tyrann_mathieu_1.html

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
A promise is nothing but words. Holmes burned us with promises.

I can see a scenario where we do snag him...but I fully suspect someone will chomp at the bit before we'd have a chance. I expect someone like Cincinnati to take him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
A promise is nothing but words. Holmes burned us with promises.

I can see a scenario where we do snag him...but I fully suspect someone will chomp at the bit before we'd have a chance. I expect someone like Cincinnati to take him in the 3rd or 4th round.

Was that a pun? :sarcasm:

The Steelers gave Mike Adams a chance and I think he was smoking weed, it was to the point where they informed him that he was off the Steelers draft board, he went to them, apologized, promised change and they took him in the 2nd round.

Not sure if they will want take Tyrann Mathieu or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->