GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Imagine how much the Steelers would have lost by

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't want to get too far into this nonsense, but Rudolph is at a point now where if he doesn't sue Garrett for defamation...it's kind of an admission.

So hoping the lawsuit comes shortly.
If Rudolph said it, it would have come out right away. It didn't. Garrett is clearly lying and he's now screwed himself to a lawsuit. Good for Mason.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If Rudolph said it, it would have come out right away. It didn't. Garrett is clearly lying and he's now screwed himself to a lawsuit. Good for Mason.

It's going to be messy and arduous, but I expect Rudolph to win. Unless there really was an NFL cover-up.

Unfortunately this is going to hang over his career which is already a little in the balance.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's going to be messy and arduous, but I expect Rudolph to win. Unless there really was an NFL cover-up.

Unfortunately this is going to hang over his career which is already a little in the balance.
There wasn't a cover up. Any time a racial slur is uttered it's the first thing mentioned. Here it was fabricated because a guy doesn't like that he did something stupid and wants to give a reason that isn't just flat out - I was being a dick.

Look at the Manning situation for the oilers. You think the Kings player waited a week to say oh yeah that happened? It was dealt with right away. No league covers that up. Especially for a rookie that has no clout. It's bs. It'll be outed as bs. I hope Mason sues.

I'm black and even I know Garrett is full of shit. Let me tell you this if someone called me a slur I wouldn't wait to report it. Ever. It's the first thing you say. MG lied several times about why he did what he did. His character is bs.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK and Pens1566

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There wasn't a cover up. Any time a racial slur is uttered it's the first thing mentioned. Here it was fabricated because a guy doesn't like that he did something stupid and wants to give a reason that isn't just flat out - I was being a dick.

Look at the Manning situation for the oilers. You think the Kings player waited a week to say oh yeah that happened? It was dealt with right away. No league covers that up. Especially for a rookie that has no clout. It's bs. It'll be outed as bs. I hope Mason sues.

I'm black and even I know Garrett is full of ****. Let me tell you this if someone called me a slur I wouldn't wait to report it. Ever. It's the first thing you say. MG lied several times about why he did what he did. His character is bs.

Hey, then it could be an extremely big money suit. Rudolph and his lawyers could eat up a substantial portion of Garrett's career earnings. Just hope he donates a portion of it, maybe to some sort of Social Justice cause.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Steelers don't dress Rudolph as the backup QB against the Browns this year. He should clearly be the backup for all other games...mostly based on the fact that they're so S.O.L. with the Cap (Thanks, Ben!) that they have no choice but to roll with Mason as backup. This talk of grabbing such and such veteran is absolute crap. Anyone agitating for that should spell out exactly which players they're willing to cut to fund an $8M/year backup. Stupid.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
So is the implication if Rudolph had said this, Garrett would have been justified in assaulting Rudolph? I guess he did learn something from the suspension after all. . . .

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jussi Smollett Miles Garrett is a joke and he deserves the epic lawsuit coming his way.

First it was a kick in the nuts that a fan told him about and he used that as an excuse.

League said nah and suspended him.

Then it became about race and only then. And Tomlin is right if Mason ever said a slur it'd be talked about by the Brown's players right away and they didn't. By that own omission by his own teammates, Miles just f***ed himself as a liar and a pathetic one.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
If it takes a week(believe it was exactly that) after an incident to report to the media that a racial term was used it's tough to believe Garrett. Add on the fact there is no evidence makes Garrett look like a liar.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
MR: what the hell are you doing with that cheap shot when the game was over?

Garrett: why did you bring race into this?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So is the implication if Rudolph had said this, Garrett would have been justified in assaulting Rudolph? I guess he did learn something from the suspension after all. . . .

Just Myles Garrett?

How about Roger Goodell? Why exactly did Goodell end Garrett's suspension again, particularly if he reiterated this false claim?

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just Myles Garrett?

How about Roger Goodell? Why exactly did Goodell end Garrett's suspension again, particularly if he reiterated this false claim?
Because Goodell is a moron as usual?

The worst part of this is that someone can utter stuff like this and absolutely ruin someone's character. The league interviewed everyone involved and witnesses, not once was the racial slur brought up.

But everyone so badly wants to believe someone is racist because Myles Garrett, out of the goodness of his own heart, held back this bit of news that only he supposedly heard and then didn't mention it to a single person? Wow, what a upstanding citizen.

Said no rationale person ever.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To add to that, let's just look at what they actually investigated - They literally used technology to read what was said on the field, that's some CSI shit, mates. They found nothing then.

• They asked team mates on both sides - They heard nothing.
  • Officials heard nothing.
  • Technology they used, found no words resembling that.
  • Garrett initially had no real reason for what he did, a fan told him he got kicked in the nuts so that's why, then Garrett took that on as his claim, he literally used an excuse someone else made up, as his own - People are literally assassinating Rudolph's character based on stuff this guy says, a liar.
  • As a black person - We never hold back when we hear a slur, never. Never. Anyone that utters it, whether we feel bad for them or not, we will never hold it back, anyone that says they do, are lying. That word shakes us to our core when it's not from someone within our own community. There is never a point where we hide that it was said, to save someone, from the goodness of whatever bs anyone says.
  • Browns are a rival team, they are never going to do this team any favors. Ever. E.V.E.R.

This false claim is as bad as any other false claim, it robs someone of getting that benefit of the doubt now. I would be 100% disappointed if Mason Rudolph and his camp don't sue. They have the entire NFL investigation as evidence.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wonder what racist stuff Walker and Sieman said when Garrett cheapshotted them.

Walker is black, but he must have said something racist to upset this gentle giant.

Reactions: KIRK and Jaded-Fan

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Here is Tomlin’a stance. He’s basically saying Rudolph needs to do what he has to, to defend his character.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm glad this gave us good reasons to hate the Browns again.

I just hope Mason Rudolph isn't collateral damage in all of this.

I still think he gets half a season or a full season to prove himself again. I don't think Ben and his elbow last through 2021. At that point, may as well give Mason another extended look. If he sucks like he did against Cleveland and Cincy, then we tank anyway and grab a QB 1st rounder the next year. If he continues the upward trajectory he was on after beating Indy and the Rams, maybe he gets another year after that. I think having a QB coach certainly can't hurt.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm glad this gave us good reasons to hate the Browns again.

I just hope Mason Rudolph isn't collateral damage in all of this.

I still think he gets half a season or a full season to prove himself again. I don't think Ben and his elbow last through 2021. At that point, may as well give Mason another extended look. If he sucks like he did against Cleveland and Cincy, then we tank anyway and grab a QB 1st rounder the next year. If he continues the upward trajectory he was on after beating Indy and the Rams, maybe he gets another year after that. I think having a QB coach certainly can't hurt.

Tomlin coming out to defend him vehemently to me, shows the Steelers know this is bs and are behind him, so all I hope now is that they (MR's camp) sue Garrett's camp and he f***s off to being a wanker again.

Rudolph had some bright spots but also had mostly rookie issues, that's not something to worry about, if anything, to even get this chance is a blessing during a year of a lot of issues that just happened all at once with injuries, performances, etc. Rudy now got games in to see what he really needs to work on behind Ben and learn and be ready when he is actually ready and not just thrown in because of a bad circumstance.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Here is Tomlin’a stance. He’s basically saying Rudolph needs to do what he has to, to defend his character.

Uh oh. I thought Ben was supposed to be throwing by February. Doesn't sound like that's happening yet. I guess we're only a little over halfway through the month, so no need to panic yet.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Tomlin coming out to defend him vehemently to me, shows the Steelers know this is bs and are behind him, so all I hope now is that they (MR's camp) sue Garrett's camp and he ****s off to being a wanker again.

Rudolph had some bright spots but also had mostly rookie issues, that's not something to worry about, if anything, to even get this chance is a blessing during a year of a lot of issues that just happened all at once with injuries, performances, etc. Rudy now got games in to see what he really needs to work on behind Ben and learn and be ready when he is actually ready and not just thrown in because of a bad circumstance.

I'm also down to try the "cheap QB with the stacked team" in '21 or '22...whenever Ben hangs it up. If it doesn't work, eh, just draft QB high again. Rudolph would still be the presumptive "cheap QB" at that time but next offseason I'd still listen to what's out there to maybe compete with Rudolph. Mariota in particular interests me if he just signs a 1-year deal this year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm also down to try the "cheap QB with the stacked team" in '21 or '22...whenever Ben hangs it up. If it doesn't work, eh, just draft QB high again. Rudolph would still be the presumptive "cheap QB" at that time but next offseason I'd still listen to what's out there to maybe compete with Rudolph. Mariota in particular interests me if he just signs a 1-year deal this year.
I don't know, if/when Ben retires, I still get a veteran QB (better than the usual hasbeen fodder teams sign for 3rd string or back-up) and have someone to mentor Rudolph. I like Ben, talent wise, but as a mentor? I don't think he's great at all with helping Mason be that next Pittsburgh QB.

I'd look at a solid character/leader type to sign for a year and really mentor Rudolph with good habits that they need out of him and his game.

MrRuckus

Nov 7, 2019
The only racism here is Garrett since he is using the fact that Rudolph is white against him. He wouldn't be making this false claim against a black person. Rudolph is specifically targeted with this slander for being white. A hate tort.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The messed up thing is Garrett could admit he made it up, and people would believe he was forced to do it or some nonsense and MR will always have this stigma.

I’d sue his ass, but MR name will get dragged through the mud during any proceedings... so it won’t be easy.

Your reputation is worth it though if you have nothing to hide IMHO.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I could see Rudolph thinking that anything that drags this out is harmful to him and just want to move on without a lawsuit.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Rudolph would be unwise to pursue legal action.

The most one could realistically hope for as a result of such a case would be the possibility of discovery releasing whatever audio footage they have of the incident (if the suit actually got that far without a judge throwing it out due to the complications of what's already covered by the cba).

Not only would the league likely pressure Rudolph's camp to prevent opening themselves to legal scrutiny, but legal defamation would be near impossible to prove in such a case anyway.

His suit would likely have to prove damages on top of Garrett's knowing intent to defame Rudolph's character with a lie. Since all Garrett's side would have to argue to a reasonable degree is whether or not he believes he heard something resembling the accused slur come from Rudolph, barring audio evidence proving nothing was said in the altercation at all there'd be no way to prove he doesn't believe he did, ie a lie with intent to defame.

The fact he kept it within private circles until it was leaked publicly would also likely help Garrett's case regarding intent.

Defamation is very hard to prove in American court, It's just not a very winnable case.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
The fact he kept it within private circles until it was leaked publicly would also likely help Garrett's case regarding intent.

Not sure if this would matter, but in an article on DK’s website, Dale Lolley concluded (for lack of a better word) that Garrett himself/his “camp” leaked it.

Here’s part of the section:
“Garrett also contends that FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer contacted him the next day to ask about telling his side of the story. This is where he loses all level of credibility.“

Then a long quote from Garrett, including this: “So they knew from that night. But I wanted the media to hear about it, whether it was through Jay Glazer or eventually through the aftermath of the meeting.”

Then finally from Lolley: “So, Garrett basically admits it was his people who leaked the information from his appeals hearing. So much for his statement the day after his appeal hearing that he didn’t intend for this information to get out. He absolutely did, because he felt it would paint him as the victim.”

IMO, that quote from Garrett basically throws the intent argument out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad