OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Good JuJu comes at a high price

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I know steelers have been habitual can kickers but isn’t just about everyone going to be really hurt by this? At least “contenders?”

Yeah, but the Steelers were kicking the can anyways and there is no easy way to do this. The catastophe that is at the end of the road for us financially when Ben retires is going to hurt for a few years.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, but the Steelers were kicking the can anyways and there is no easy way to do this. The catastophe that is at the end of the road for us financially when Ben retires is going to hurt for a few years.
blessing in disguise since that sets the stage for a high enough draft pick to find a successor? tho tomlin being the master of mediocrity might scupper that dream

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
blessing in disguise since that sets the stage for a high enough draft pick to find a successor? tho tomlin being the master of mediocrity might scupper that dream

Oh yeah, we can certainly hope that's the case. Fact is, in my lifetime I cannot remember the Steelers being a bottom dweller. It's bound to happen. That being said, if they pay these guys on defense, I think the defense will be good enough for the next 5-7 years to at least have us finish in the top half of the league and not let us get high enough to pick a franchise guy, unless we can get luck in the 15 range.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh yeah, we can certainly hope that's the case. Fact is, in my lifetime I cannot remember the Steelers being a bottom dweller. It's bound to happen. That being said, if they pay these guys on defense, I think the defense will be good enough for the next 5-7 years to at least have us finish in the top half of the league and not let us get high enough to pick a franchise guy, unless we can get luck in the 15 range.

Oh, it happened in my lifetime, but just a couple of one offs. This one that's coming is going to be different . . .

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Oh, it happened in my lifetime, but just a couple of one offs. This one that's coming is going to be different . . .

Yeah, the moment Ben retires we are in for it for at least 2-3 drafts. Like I said though, that defense will probably be good enough to pull us out of the cellar like they did this year. It would almost be more beneficial to embrace the tank, trade guys like Bush, Watt, and Fitzpatrick off, and do what other teams have done and pick 6-8 players in the first 2 rounds. Start fresh for another decade.

I'm hoping ownership isn't cool with rolling how they did when Bradshaw retired.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I hate to say this, but the more I think about it, the more I think Mark Madden is right about how guys like Juju, Conner, Switzer, Zach Banner are just social media loudmouths who need to actually prove their worth and win something.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
really going against the grain here and not saying that switzer and banner are first ballot hall of famers

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I hate to say this, but the more I think about it, the more I think Mark Madden is right about how guys like Juju, Conner, Switzer, Zach Banner are just social media loudmouths who need to actually prove their worth and win something.
I don't think it's fair to lump Switzer and Banner with Juju and Conner. The former are barely NFL caliber players while the latter are pro bowlers.

As far as social media, everyone is on it these days. And as a result every one thinks their opinion matters.
There's nothing else to talk about so sports guys decided to discuss Switzer's silly tweet. It really doesn't mean anything. He's the #5 wr. He'll be lucky to even get on the field.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, the moment Ben retires we are in for it for at least 2-3 drafts. Like I said though, that defense will probably be good enough to pull us out of the cellar like they did this year. It would almost be more beneficial to embrace the tank, trade guys like Bush, Watt, and Fitzpatrick off, and do what other teams have done and pick 6-8 players in the first 2 rounds. Start fresh for another decade.

I'm hoping ownership isn't cool with rolling how they did when Bradshaw retired.

Well, hopefully if the next Dan Marino falls into their lap before Ben retires, they won't pass like they did the first go around.

(From Elway to Marino is one of my fave 30 for 30 episodes)

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Or Ben plays 2 seasons retires Jordan love takes over in Green Bay and Rodgers is like I wanna sign with the team who drafted no QB with their Franchise guy coming off surgery. He thinks they draft WR every year that can play. Plus they have an amazing defensive unit

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Or Ben plays 2 seasons retires Jordan love takes over in Green Bay and Rodgers is like I wanna sign with the team who drafted no QB with their Franchise guy coming off surgery. He thinks they draft WR every year that can play. Plus they have an amazing defensive unit

To me that is how it should go. I wouldn't spend another draft pick on a QB until Ben retires unless there is a legit can't miss guy who slides...a la Ben in 2004. When he retires, sign a vet to fill in for a year or two, and then go hard after a QB in the draft.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I wonder if the NFL has a back-up bubble plan for both conferences. Because there's little reason to believe players will self-quarantine on their free time.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I wonder if the NFL has a back-up bubble plan for both conferences. Because there's little reason to believe players will self-quarantine on their free time.
Yeah they are already working out together. 1 QB will be quarantined as an emergency and they will have 16 players on the practice squad to pull from when players test positive and miss 3 weeks

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I don't think it's fair to lump Switzer and Banner with Juju and Conner. The former are barely NFL caliber players while the latter are pro bowlers.

As far as social media, everyone is on it these days. And as a result every one thinks their opinion matters.
There's nothing else to talk about so sports guys decided to discuss Switzer's silly tweet. It really doesn't mean anything. He's the #5 wr. He'll be lucky to even get on the field.
True. Yeah, the social media presence of these players sure does provide ammo for all the sports talking heads to mouth off about them. Like at least he ignores haters, but Juju’s recent TikTok video was just ridiculous. Then Banner, he needs to just stop - he isn’t going to win some twitter feud against Madden.

Madden conveniently has allegiance to only 2 incredibly and recently successful teams in the Penguins and Liverpool while not only claiming he doesn’t root for the Steelers/Pirates, but neither franchise (especially the Pirates) has had much recent success and that is 2 huge rosters of players for him to mouth off and talk **** about. And it only benefits him to do so. Convenient.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
True. Yeah, the social media presence of these players sure does provide ammo for all the sports talking heads to mouth off about them. Like at least he ignores haters, but Juju’s recent TikTok video was just ridiculous. Then Banner, he needs to just stop - he isn’t going to win some twitter feud against Madden.

By "ammo" do you mean "something to whine about"?

Reactions: Rossi Rat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad