OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Clock Management? Pfffft. We got this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
**** off. This game is on Ben and the coaches.

Conner had almost 100 yards on what, 16 touches? They've ignored him 2 straight weeks after he dominates much of the previous 2 months and we were throttling teams. He dominated in Baltimore.

Yeah he's got to sure up the ball security but today is on Ben, Grimble fumbling at the ****ing goal line and more pathetic play calling.

He had a nice run to start the year but that's all it was, a run; it was never sustainable. He's playing like an average player because that's what he is. Best accept that and stop riding his nuts.

If he was playing well and the team had confidence in him, they would have lined up and put the game in his hands.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Pats lost 3 games...we lost 3 games. Pats lost to the lions. And Titans.

If youre gonna crown a team..pick another.

We had to replace Bell...Conner was doing great..hasnt been the same since concussion. Theres a reason they arent using him much...so many short passes instead of running him. Thats what im worried about. Hes still young. Dropped a pass last week..and now this fumble that cost us the game.

We really have to focus on the run the next few games to get him back in it..mentally

Point is, I'm not sure there's a team as talented as us in the entire NFL. Yet we piss away winnable games every year because our coaching is ****. WE should be 10-1 like the Chiefs. 7-3-1 is nice and all. The NFL has parity, I get it. I'll put this team, roster spot by roster spot, up against any. Yet our coaching staff is bottom tier.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It amazes me how many times they handed them the game. That last pass was going to be intercepted even if it made it past the line. What the Hell was he thinking throwing that....

Look at this way, it saved you at the very least another grueling 15-30 minutes before Denver ended it in another heartbreaking fashion.

Time for my Apple pie.................yummmmmy

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
So many individual mistakes at the worst moments. Grimble, Ben, Conner....

ugh..

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Reason why I don't have them making it far in the postseason. this team lacks play makers on defense. It's what makes Shazier getting hurt much worse. He was becoming that guy.

You've got to be able to create turnovers.

It also doesn't help when the DBs give the other team's receiver so much cushion.

Hell, the D-line hardly ever tips any passes. And when they do, nobody is around to grab the INT.

Reactions: KIRK

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
beginning to think that the new frontier in coaching might be recognizing that protocol be damned a lot of the time guys cleared to play come back in and promptly make egregious errors

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
The number of Unforced Errors flipped this game. Maybe 2-3 TDs. Blocked FG, Brindle, Ben’s early INT, Connors fumble.
And that last play? How does a team w so much experience fail to execute in the clutch like this? Did AB finish his route even? Did Ben see the underneath NT?

Tennis is my other sport, and when I’d play talented players that made loads of Unforced errors I always had confidence. They’d find a way to keep me in it, or blow it somehow. When it really counted they were their own worst enemy, and I just had to play smart.

Seriously, the Steelers can’t shoot their d*ck off this many times in a winnable game and expect to be taken seriously for AFC or SB.

Teams like this, never mind the HOF talent, just aren’t in that conversation. Call it coaching or whatever you want.

Reactions: Andy99

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
It also doesn't help when the DBs give the other team's receiver so much cushion.

Hell, the D-line hardly ever tips any passes. And when they do, nobody is around to grab the INT.

Our d-line actually did tip one today. About 50 feet into the air. Amazingly, yet not surprisingly, we didn't come down with it.

We have to be near the bottom in takeaways. In a league that deemphasizes (is that a word?) defense, that's one thing you have to be able to do.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This was a winnable game and the Steelers lost it. Ben, Grimble, and Conner to be exact. If Grimble cuts inside, if Conner holds on to the ball, if Ben doesn't miss 2 wide open WR's or toss it to a NT.

Oh well. Ifs and buts don't win you games.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Our d-line actually did tip one today. About 50 feet into the air. Amazingly, yet not surprisingly, we didn't come down with it.

We have to be near the bottom in takeaways. In a league that deemphasizes (is that a word?) defense, that's one thing you have to be able to do.

There were at least two tipped passes at the line. The first bounced way up in the air, and no one came down with it. The second just kind of fluttered into open space. Sanders fumbled his catch down the sidelines out of bounds near the goal line. Grimble fumbles through the end zone. Just that kind of day as far as bounces go, although the Steelers could have easily had a fifth turnover on Switzer's punt adventure. Three RZ turnovers, plus blocked field goal and Ben's first Int were all killers. And yeah, the last series from the 3 was a head scratcher, and the execution on the last play was extremely frustrating.

They needed this win with the schedule they have coming up.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Thats why I wanted to trade for that playmaker type at the deadline . but they were happy with SSensabugh..who would be on his couch every sunday if not for the Steelers. Hes our weak link and its hurting others.

Janoris Jenkins(4 INTs) this year could have exceled in our D. Making plays and others better as well.

Our D is good at stopping teams but yeah bad at creating turnovers. Howver, why I dont blame them as much because our Offense is the one constantly blowing games. No reason we should turn the ball over 3- 4 times a game.

When we dont? 52-21 Panthers game. Our D is good enough to take us all the way ONLY if our offense doesnt continue to make mistakes.

And having Ben throw 40 times a game..he will turn the ball over. Hes Farve..will make great plays but will also throw INTs. Ever since Conner had that concussion..weve been using him like Kamara. Hes not that. He needs his 20+ carries.

He had 10 TDs in 9 games. Unstoppbable once inside the 5 yard ljne. Yet the last two games(since Conner getting concussed) we were in shotgun down there. Cant worry about him getting hurt..or this will happen. Dropped a TD last week. Fumbled today.

Get him his carries and he will be fine.

Reactions: wheelz87

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Dont care about blowing bye week either....we are horrible after sitting for a week. I want them to have to play WC week. Thats when they went the furthest...and that was with Rogers and Hamilton as our WRs other than Brown.

Need these types of losses at times. They had these when they won it all. I obviously wanted to keep winning...but also know it would get to their heads .

I see us winning in a shootout next week...with Coty getting abused. Coach has to replace him. We arent winning it all with him...not happening. Id take Burns all day over him. He will make his mistakes but also makes plays. Let him start and get his confidence back. He forced a fumble and a safety this year. Coty in the run game? Lol a joke.

Regular season is to figure out what works best in the playoffs. Now its up to coaching to figure some things out.

Get rid of Coty.
Let Conner get 20 carries a game again.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Thats why I wanted to trade for that playmaker type at the deadline . but they were happy with SSensabugh..who would be on his couch every sunday if not for the Steelers. Hes our weak link and its hurting others.

Janoris Jenkins(4 INTs) this year could have exceled in our D. Making plays and others better as well.

Our D is good at stopping teams but yeah bad at creating turnovers. Howver, why I dont blame them as much because our Offense is the one constantly blowing games. No reason we should turn the ball over 3- 4 times a game.

When we dont? 52-21 Panthers game. Our D is good enough to take us all the way ONLY if our offense doesnt continue to make mistakes.

And having Ben throw 40 times a game..he will turn the ball over. Hes Farve..will make great plays but will also throw INTs. Ever since Conner had that concussion..weve been using him like Kamara. Hes not that. He needs his 20+ carries.

He had 10 TDs in 9 games. Unstoppbable once inside the 5 yard ljne. Yet the last two games(since Conner getting concussed) we were in shotgun down there. Cant worry about him getting hurt..or this will happen. Dropped a TD last week. Fumbled today.

Get him his carries and he will be fine.

I’m not sure he’s fine.
Hope so, but did not see anything today that make me think he’s back from the concussion.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I’m not sure he’s fine.
Hope so, but did not see anything today that make me think he’s back from the concussion.

As in mentally or still concussed? Because if hes concussed he shouldnt even be in there. Them half assing it..having him start but barely using him is making things worse. Just use Samuels then .

Teams arent afraid of the running game now..knowing all we do is pass. Have to get back to being more balanced. You dont win in the playoffs turning the ball over this much. So im glad it happened now rather than then.

Conner has faced plenty of adversity. He can come back from this. These next two games are perfect for that too.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
There were at least two tipped passes at the line. The first bounced way up in the air, and no one came down with it. The second just kind of fluttered into open space. Sanders fumbled his catch down the sidelines out of bounds near the goal line. Grimble fumbles through the end zone. Just that kind of day as far as bounces go, although the Steelers could have easily had a fifth turnover on Switzer's punt adventure. Three RZ turnovers, plus blocked field goal and Ben's first Int were all killers. And yeah, the last series from the 3 was a head scratcher, and the execution on the last play was extremely frustrating.

They needed this win with the schedule they have coming up.

Needed it for what? A bye week? Then Ben would come out and throw a few INTs lol.

Id rather play WC week...be the underdogs and win. Thats how it happened in the past. We just arent good after byes.

The fact that everyone is down now...thinking we dont have a shot...has me more confident in a playoff run. Everytime we thought we were the best team...we lose. When we had our struggles...we won.

Lets see if they fix the areas that need to be fixed tho..thats my concern. Our offense is capable of putting up over 30 every game...but youre not gonna wih turning the ball over 3-4 times.

Playcalling was horrible to end the game. You line up with Nix in there and an extra TE...and run the ball. Get back to being both a finesse team when needed...and a smashmouth team when needed. We went away from that the last two games. Almost cost us last week..and cost us tonight.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Needed it for what? A bye week? Then Ben would come out and throw a few INTs lol.

Id rather play WC week...be the underdogs and win. Thats how it happened in the past. We just arent good after byes.

The fact that everyone is down now...thinking we dont have a shot...has me more confident in a playoff run. Everytime we thought we were the best team...we lose. When we had our struggles...we won.

Lets see if they fix the areas that need to be fixed tho..thats my concern. Our offense is capable of putting up over 30 every game...but youre not gonna wih turning the ball over 3-4 times.

Playcalling was horrible to end the game. You line up with Nix in there and an extra TE...and run the ball. Get back to being both a finesse team when needed...and a smashmouth team when needed. We went away from that the last two games. Almost cost us last week..and cost us tonight.

I'd rather have a week off. Both Tomlin teams to get to the Super Bowl were the second seed and had a week off. In other Tomlin years it didn't matter what seed they were.

More importantly, they've got a tough schedule, and one of their "easy" games is in Oakland, where they've had a history of *****ing the bed. So a spot in the playoffs is still not secure.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
So many individual mistakes at the worst moments. Grimble, Ben, Conner....

ugh..
Yep. I’m sure people will roast Tomlin, but the players, in particular - the offense, lost that game. Literally had a chance to score on probably 95% of their drives and settled for one offensive TD (Big Al’s catch doesn’t count). Bad game.

Reactions: TNT87

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I remember that tip. It was the first one in a while.

The reason they don't get many turnovers is because they play to "tackle the catch." The idea is that eventually the other team will make a mistake. That might have worked in the last decade when teams that didn't have a QB named Brady or Peyton Manning ran the ball a lot more. But now mostly any QB better than Blake Bortles can make those throws in wide open windows. So unless the opposing QB does something incredibly stupid (like Cam Newton a few weeks ago), this defense will get picked apart slowly while sitting back and hoping a turnover will happen.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Tuitt has been out too..remember that. But it also made Hargrave better. Problem was, it created a hole in the run game. But when Tuitt comes back...those 3 on the line should be even better.

Still 5 games left before the playoffs. Most our concerned with losses...im more concerned with injuries. Idc if we are a WC team if it meant we were fully healthy going into the playoffs finally. These last 4 years we had key players missing. Getting sick of that.

So stay healthy...and pray that coaching finally realizes Coty is not gonna get it done come playoff time. Let Burns get his confidence back...who has played in 4 playoff games and actually did well. So he starts the year off bad and they sit him the rest of the year? f*** that..we are literally going nowhere if Coty is the starter. He will be attacked constantly.

I said these last two games were the perfect time to get Burns back in there. Against QBs who aren't that good..and teams that run the ball. They kept going Cotys way...he cant stop a damn thing. Burns is way more aggressive and can stop the run. Make a play here and there.

Anyway, lets see if they learned on offense(get back to being more balanced...finnesse when needed..smash mouth when needed. Throwing teams off) and on defense(getting Coty the hell off the field). And no injuries to end seasons.

Those are my 3 concerns.

Ben cannot throw 40 times a game..let alone 56. He will throw INTs. Especially since defenses know we are passing. Get back to running Conner 20 times..and use play action on deep balls.

The fact that we won last week and almost again while getting destroyed in the turnover battle shows how good this team is. Id rather be in this position(even tho its frustrating) than simply not having the talent to win. Like so many other teams.

Conner has to be more involved in the offense like I said. Hes no Kamara. Hes a type that needs to get warmed up..the more carries the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->