GDT: The Pittsburgher Drama Thread: Steeler Season - Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
You were all positive a few days ago, can’t start staring at dark clouds kid.

I’m sure things will get better, and the season will be fun. Just expect to be Tomlined by the end and you won’t get pissed.

They still have the pieces in place to make a run...there was one prob last night. Ben refusing to go to Washington(he has no prob getting open and if its catchable...its a completion) and 20 targets wasted on the WRs who have the worst potential on the team. It wasnt like JW lined up and ran routes every snap and couldn't get open...he was barely used. Ben could have thrown those short passes to him instead ...an actual playmaker who has game breaking talent.

Thats why i said lets see what happens in week 2 now. If theres not a complete change then forget it. Gonna have to wait til either Ben is gone or we find another WR with the talent and potential of JW(who hes not biased towards).

How many huge plays did we see this preseason from Washington? It was non stop..didnt matter what QB was in nor did it matter if it was 1st string defense or 3rd. He proved himself in every situaton. Yet Johnny Holton(lose out on Skipper because of that) gets the call up a day before the game to take JWs spot instead.

Very confusing...and have no idea why nobody questioned Tomlin. Theres some that actually still believe it's due to JW not being ready yet when that isnt the case at all.

For example we never saw Ben force 10 balls to him like he did witth Moncrief last night. A WR can only succeed if the QB allows him to. He already spent all last season "learning" only getting 34 targets.

Diff story when you have better options. But when you waste 20 targets on players like Moncrief, Switzer, and Holton instead of the potential of what could happen if he threw it to JW and Vance that many times instead?

Thats what most are missing.

This offense never got going last night because they handicapped themselves from the start. Ben trying to make WRs better instead of throwing to his best options. So im guessing it wasnt just due to his prob with JW but also wanted to prove to the world that hes the one who made WRs what they became. And thats fine but you dont try to prove that all in one game. Not even blaming Moncrief...how about letting him get used to the offense first before the non stop targets?

We had WRs pan out the way they did because they all were put in the best situation to succeed.

No need to comment on this team about anything untl we see what the game plan is next week. They turned something that was simple into a complete mess. Conner/Samuels/Vance also suffered due to it as well.

Like I said we basically watched the Steelers offense hold an open try out for the #2 WR spot....with JW being the last option lol. Weirdest thing ive ever watched last night.

Simply put Juju on one side....JW on the other...along with DJ and Vance and Conner/Samuels accordingly.. Snap the ball. Choose best option that play. Since those are our "best" options.

You dont try to make Johnny Holton the new Martavis Bryant and Moncrief the new Brown all in one game...while not using the one WR we actually took in 2nd round who has natural talent..pedigree ..that just got done dominating the preseason with 5 catches of 40 yards or more.

Belichick grabbing Brown the day before the game messed with Tomlin again. Suddenly Holton gets activated and Skipper cut...? And JW moves down the depth chart to #6 WR.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They still have the pieces in place to make a run...there was one prob last night. Ben refusing to go to Washington(he has no prob getting open and if its catchable...its a completion) and 20 targets wasted on the WRs who have the worst potential on the team. It wasnt like JW lined up and ran routes every snap and couldn't get open...he was barely used. Ben could have thrown those short passes to him instead ...an actual playmaker who has game breaking talent.

Thats why i said lets see what happens in week 2 now. If theres not a complete change then forget it. Gonna have to wait til either Ben is gone or we find another WR with the talent and potential of JW(who hes not biased towards).

How many huge plays did we see this preseason from Washington? It was non stop..didnt matter what QB was in nor did it matter if it was 1st string defense or 3rd. He proved himself in every situaton. Yet Johnny Holton(lose out on Skipper because of that) gets the call up a day before the game to take JWs spot instead.

Very confusing...and have no idea why nobody questioned Tomlin. Theres some that actually still believe it's due to JW not being ready yet when that isnt the case at all.

For example we never saw Ben force 10 balls to him like he did witth Moncrief last night. A WR can only succeed if the QB allows him to. He already spent all last season "learning" only getting 34 targets.

Diff story when you have better options. But when you waste 20 targets on players like Moncrief, Switzer, and Holton instead of the potential of what could happen if he threw it to JW and Vance that many times instead?

Thats what most are missing.

This offense never got going last night because they handicapped themselves from the start. Ben trying to make WRs better instead of throwing to his best options. So im guessing it wasnt just due to his prob with JW but also wanted to prove to the world that hes the one who made WRs what they became. And thats fine but you dont try to prove that all in one game. Not even blaming Moncrief...how about letting him get used to the offense first before the non stop targets?

We had WRs pan out the way they did because they all were put in the best situation to succeed.

No need to comment on this team about anything untl we see what the game plan is next week. They turned something that was simple into a complete mess. Conner/Samuels/Vance also suffered due to it as well.

Like I said we basically watched the Steelers offense hold an open try out for the #2 WR spot....with JW being the last option lol. Weirdest thing ive ever watched last night.

Simply put Juju on one side....JW on the other...along with DJ and Vance accordingly.. Snap the ball. Choose best option that play.

This is why I said NE was their worst case scenario week one. They have things they need to sort out with all these new faces, and finding a #2 wr is still evolving. That may take a mo or more to sort itself out.

I’m still laughing that Butler decided running the same scheme as last time was a good idea... like Hoodie wasn’t working on ways to counter that all summer. Brain dead....

Things will sort themselves out over the next few weeks. Not too worried about it.

This team is always woefully unprepared in season openers. They have only won 3 of their last 8 or 9 openers and two of those wins were agt the hapless Stains.

I think it was 2011 when the Ravens pasted them opening weekend and they still went 12-4 and then Tomlined agt the Broncos.

Pretty sure this team under Tomlin always does better when losing their season opener.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The overall gameplan last night wasn’t wrong. They wanted to do exactly what the Pats do and dink and dunk on long, sustained drives that take time off the clock and keep Brady on the sideline.

Problem is, they pissed away their first drive with a Bruce Arians throwback call on 3rd and 4. Instead of calling a play to get 5 yards and the 1st down to keep the drive going and momentum on their side, they decide to air it out 40 yards down the field and kill the drive.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I tell you, NFL coaches are propped up as being some sort of rocket scientists who are operating at genius level every night. In reality, the majority of them lack common sense and play conservative ball far too often.

I just watched a f***ing Bellichick disciple, Bill O’Brien KNOW that Brees just had to get 8-10 more yards to put them in FG range and he pulls the Butler/Tomlin special and backs all his defenders way the f*** off the receivers, his safeties 25 yards off the line of scrimmage and low and behold the Saints get an easy completion to set up the game winning FG...

And I’m reminded of Pete Carroll’s dumb ass calling a pass at the goal line with Marshawn f***ing Lynch in the backfield. Dan Quinn choking a f***ing 28 point lead away in the SB.

Dumbf***ery all around yet these f***ers get paid millions to overthink shit and lose games...

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
at this point I would not be surprised if the Steelers go 12-4 or if they go 8-8. I'm hoping its one or the other because 10-6 and another year of Butler and co doesnt sound so fun

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's weird, I find myself more emotionally involved pulling for the Raiders tonight than I did pulling for the Steelers last night...... Never thought I would ever say that in my life.... Weird, weird stuff.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
eb4lbactnnl31.jpg

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I had to mute the ESPN monday night oakland game because I heard 'Antonio Brown at least 30 times in the first half so far.It is so f***ing disgusting the amount of attention this scumbag clown is getting.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
at this point I would not be surprised if the Steelers go 12-4 or if they go 8-8. I'm hoping its one or the other because 10-6 and another year of Butler and co doesnt sound so fun
I'm hoping for a 0-16 run this year. That would be glorious.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I tell you, NFL coaches are propped up as being some sort of rocket scientists who are operating at genius level every night. In reality, the majority of them lack common sense and play conservative ball far too often.

I just watched a ****ing Bellichick disciple, Bill O’Brien KNOW that Brees just had to get 8-10 more yards to put them in FG range and he pulls the Butler/Tomlin special and backs all his defenders way the **** off the receivers, his safeties 25 yards off the line of scrimmage and low and behold the Saints get an easy completion to set up the game winning FG...

And I’m reminded of Pete Carroll’s dumb ass calling a pass at the goal line with Marshawn ****ing Lynch in the backfield. Dan Quinn choking a ****ing 28 point lead away in the SB.

Dumb****ery all around yet these ****ers get paid millions to overthink **** and lose games...

Its crazy isnt it. The amount of coaches they have in meetings to help when things are off.....making sure all areas are covered...etc and we still see the same mistakes over and over while Belichick keeps capitalizing on them.

Thats why i was so impressed with Philly. Pederson didnt care who was across from him. Then again he knew he had to be aggressive since Foles was in over Wentz. Guarantee if Wentz doesn't get hurt, Pats win that game easily lol.

That injury finally caused a coach to go all out instead of worrying about making mistakes against them. Wilson throws an INT right over The middle ....over. Matt Ryan completely turtled in 2nd half. Deeer in headlights yet he was The one with the 28-7 lead. Then Goff who was all pro all last season, averaging 35 pts a game pulled a Matt Ryan as soon as he stepped on the field.

Wentz would have been no diff lol . Got lucky it was Foles who had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Along with the coach knowing he had to be as aggressive as possible all game.

And yeah as for the Saints/Texans ending ...not only did OBrian mess up but most coaches in the league prob would have went for Hailmary instead of relying on kicker. Never understand that. Odds are way better going with the FG attempt

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
It really puts that Jesse James call/Overturn into a clear light doesn't it?? That one NFL Replay official overturned 3 calls that led to Patriot victories and a SB appearance.

The league is owned and run by that corrupt organization. I also hear that they are heavily involved in groundbreaking HGH research, did you see Gronk's appearance last night?? Dude shrunk 3 sizes in 5 months.

there's was alsoa 4th incident. 1st game of the year cooks catches a TD pass in last minute and on replay you can see the ball roll down his abdomen.

of course the TD was upheld

Reactions: John Titor

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Charlie Batch figuring out a way to last as long as he did in the league was very impressive. Maybe he would be the coach we need lol

Honestly we might not be any better without Tomlin. He doesn't do much but we always relied more on our Coordinators anyway. So you have to have at least one or the other. Losing Lebeau ended our run as having a top Defense for about 30 years straight. And of course it happens as soon as our offense became a top unit. But we had to get rid of Dick cuz "Butler been waiting too long and he night leave". Ha..remember all that talk? Unfortunately we didnt get lucky and he stayed...finallly pushing out Lebeau.

With a coach like Tomlin you better have great coords.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Charlie Batch figuring out a way to last as long as he did in the league was very impressive. Maybe he would be the coach we need lol

Honestly we might not be any better without Tomlin. He doesn't do much but we always relied more on our Coordinators anyway. So you have to have at least one or the other. Losing Lebeau ended our run as having a top Defense for about 30 years straight. And of course it happens as soon as our offense became a top unit. But we had to get rid of Dick cuz "Butler been waiting too long and he night leave". Ha..remember all that talk? Unfortunately we didnt get lucky and he stayed...finallly pushing out Lebeau.

With a coach like Tomlin you better have great coords.
The game passed LeBeau bye. He wouldn't have done any better.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

He went to the Titans and turned their D around. Prob was all of our good players on D were washed up or gone. I just didn't like going with the switch "during" a rebuild. Let Dick help the young kids develop and then you can replace. Was it a coincidence we started missing on every D pick as soon as he left? We used to land future Probowlers in 4th and 5th rounds on D. Not only did that disappear...couldnt even get first rounders to pan out.

Took 10 years finally to rebuld the D with all first round picks at every spot lol.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He went to the Titans and turned their D around. Prob was all of our good players on D were washed up or gone. I just didn't like going with the switch "during" a rebuild. Let Dick help the young kids develop and then you can replace. Was it a coincidence we started missing on every D pick as soon as he left? We used to land future Probowlers in 4th and 5th rounds on D. Not only did that disappear...couldnt even get first rounders to pan out.

Took 10 years finally to rebuld the D with all first round picks at every spot lol.

The big thing with Lebeau is he had respect. He kept his unit in line and they played like a unit. He greatly benefited from having a defense that was stocked full of talent. Hampton, Smith, Porter, Farrior, Haggans, Polamalu, and Hope were already here. We also just had a string of 5 years where we picked 13th, 8th, 19th, 16th, and 11th. That being said...

LeBeau was stubborn and wouldn’t make any adjustments against the Patriots. He and Tomlin ran the same scheme against them for years and it never worked

...this is 100% true. The game was passing him by. He could adjust his zone scheme to teams who would just do 7 yard pitches down field. It was like Cowher and his "prevent" defense. It never "prevented" anything.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The overall gameplan last night wasn’t wrong. They wanted to do exactly what the Pats do and dink and dunk on long, sustained drives that take time off the clock and keep Brady on the sideline.

Problem is, they pissed away their first drive with a Bruce Arians throwback call on 3rd and 4. Instead of calling a play to get 5 yards and the 1st down to keep the drive going and momentum on their side, they decide to air it out 40 yards down the field and kill the drive.

The play call worked, the throw was trash.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
So they signed Hodges to the practice squad.

And signed Elliot to the 53 man roster?

Then why even let Skipper go.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I have to agree with the first part, but disagree with the latter.

My Right Big TOE could 100% do better than Butler. Have you ever listened to the man speak? Butler should have been fired 5 years ago, meaning he should have never been hired.

In the NFL, you can rebuild a defense in one offseason. The Steelers have been rebuilding their D for 10 years and it looks worse than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->