The Pickard Brothers

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I looked at his stats and they have always been pretty below average. I have never watched him play, so is his team weak? Obviously they are in last place, but are the players in front of him poor or is he letting in some weak goals? Is it just that the WHL is a hard league to be a goalie in? Is he not very good? Obviously stats aren't everything so I wanted some opinions from people who have seen him play.

EDIT: Is the fact that Chet is playing in the ECHL a bad sign? I always saw this as a league where players went if they were busting. His stats are kinda sketchy too so if anyone watches or knows how he's progressing that would be great too.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bro he just won a 3-1 game saving 57 shots.

WHL is the probably the best defensive league in the world, but Seattle has a pretty struggling defense core. Their offensive core is pretty good and they have good size, but he sees tons of shots and I believe has played 97% of the games.

I've seen him play and he's very fast. Like Jack Campbell fast and even though he's kind of small he knows this and makes himself look huge and has great positioning.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Seattle is perhaps the most shoddily run organization in the Dub, and their team this year and last is just awful.

Definitely wouldn't just look at the stats on this one. He's a well regarded prospect for a reason, and his mammoth workload is certainly part of that.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What's below average?

His 3rd ranked .915 save% in the entire WHL? That's below average?

He also has over 2100 saves, which is nearly 500 more than any other goalie in the entire league.

The guy faces a ton of rubber....as in almost 40 shots against PER APPEARANCE.

A 3.39 GAA isn't really too bad considering how many shots this guy faces.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Seattle hasn't been very good the last two years, but Pickard keeps them in games. On average, he faces 40 shots per 60 minutes which is pretty high. The other WHL goalies with better GAA numbers face the standard ~30 shots per game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What's below average?

His 3rd ranked .915 save% in the entire WHL? That's below average?

He also has over 2100 saves, which is nearly 500 more than any other goalie in the entire league.

The guy faces a ton of rubber....as in almost 40 shots against PER APPEARANCE.

A 3.39 GAA isn't really too bad considering how many shots this guy faces.

People need to focus on save percentage over GAA which majority of them do not. Because you can tell that 3.39 is pretty bad, but seeing .915% means that he's doing his best trying to win the game so then you can tell he's on a terrible team due to his GAA.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
People need to focus on save percentage over GAA which majority of them do not. Because you can tell that 3.39 is pretty bad, but seeing .915% means that he's doing his best trying to win the game so then you can tell he's on a terrible team due to his GAA.

I noticed his good save percentage but just wanted to get some other opinions anyways.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Calvin Pickard is the only reason Seattle doesn't get embarrassed on a nightly basis. That's all that really needs to be said.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
The ECHL is pretty much being used to get goalies more starts rather than riding the pine in the AHL. It's not that Chet was playing poorly, he just can get way more playing time in the ECHL.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The ECHL is pretty much being used to get goalies more starts rather than riding the pine in the AHL. It's not that Chet was playing poorly, he just can get way more playing time in the ECHL.

The only concern a Preds fan would have about Chet is that he is currently in year 2 of his pro career. Usually, what NHL teams do is assess the kid at camp and decide whether it's best for him to start either at the AHL or ECHL. Usually, if a goalie has to go down to the ECHL, it means that he's not quite ready for the pro game and needs to work on some things. Would be better for him to play against lower competition.

However, since this is year 2 of his development as a pro, it would be a bit concerning for a Preds fan to see Pickard still in the E and not moving onto the A. Hope is not lost, but would simply mean that he needs more time, which the Preds can afford with Rinne and Lindback on their NHL roster.

But, if Chet is still in the E next season, I don't hold out much hope for him in the NHL.

KingJet*

Calvin's Better, Chet I think will be a started some day, after he gets traded, Calvin has Colorado's future on his back, hes actually so sick played against him, hes actually hard to score against, just needs a few good D.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
The only concern a Preds fan would have about Chet is that he is currently in year 2 of his pro career. Usually, what NHL teams do is assess the kid at camp and decide whether it's best for him to start either at the AHL or ECHL. Usually, if a goalie has to go down to the ECHL, it means that he's not quite ready for the pro game and needs to work on some things. Would be better for him to play against lower competition.

However, since this is year 2 of his development as a pro, it would be a bit concerning for a Preds fan to see Pickard still in the E and not moving onto the A. Hope is not lost, but would simply mean that he needs more time, which the Preds can afford with Rinne and Lindback on their NHL roster.

But, if Chet is still in the E next season, I don't hold out much hope for him in the NHL.

Sounds a lot like Thomas McCollum. His numbers are worse actually.

Actually, I'll gladly eat crow if McCollum ever starts an NHL game.

Last edited:

SeattleShark

Jul 16, 2010
Calvin is just on a really bad team who i have the pleasure of watching all the time. He plays waaay too much. He is positionally sound and makes some fantastic saves but he does let in the softies. He has not been as good this year as last, but i think he is just really frustrated with the team and organization and he is starting to show it on the ice.

EDIT: seattle jacks up the shots against on home ice. no joke. Calvin gets like and extra 10 "saves" a home game. its actually kind of funny seeing it during the game

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Well, usually when a goaltender has a HUGE sv% and a bad GAA at the same time it just means his team sucks balls and he is doing really well considering the situation.

I wouldn't be too worried.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Chet is experiencing growing pains. It's not looking good for his development. But goalies can come out of no where so there is still hope.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I hope they keep Calvin in Seattle one more year just so he can keep getting shelled every game.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Chet is behind one of the best goaltenders in the AHL in Mark Dekanich, so yes, he's getting more playing time in the ECHL...but that said, he didn't acquit himself well when given the chance in Milwaukee. He was outplayed by Jeremy Smith, who was considered a pretty much throwaway prospect by a lot of fans(and still probably is, but it's a statement about Pickard, maybe).

Really wish we had taken Eberle with that pick instead. Would feel pretty great about the 08 draft with Wilson and Eberle.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Do you guys see Calvin being the Avs goalie of the future? Does he have that kind of upside? I just don't get to watch him enough.

I think so. He's not as big as I would like him to be, but he does a good job making himself look bigger. He plays his angles well and controls his rebounds well.

The only other thing along with his size that seems to bug me a bit is his tendency to let in a pretty soft goal here and there. I guess it happens to every goalie, especially young ones, but that's an area of concern for me.

But hey, facing as many shots as he does, he's only going to get better daily.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
Facing 40 shots a game will actually help Calvin in the long run, in my opinion. Guy sees more shots than anyone I can think of recently in the WHL.

Calvin has seen more shots I believe, than any other goalie in the WHL for all 3 seasons with Seattle. If you go to the stats on WHL site, you can compare his shots against compared to all other goalies. It is rediculous!
He is the only reason Seattle is has a chance most of the time. As much as I think people say, the more shots, the better for a good goalies development, it has to be tough on him, playing as much as he does, and not having the support! 3 years of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad