The Physicality Myth

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Member when Martin helped Marner get his game back?

Pepperidge Farms members

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You guys that say we don't need Martin keep saying how it's mental. Do you not realize a guy like Martin gives the young guys more confidence? Like when Marner said they were losing a big brother/protector when Kadri got suspended. Do you really not see with a quote like that how much it can effect their mindset?

Who are you sitting to get him into the lineup?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really?

So no teams have ever had a Martin like player to help protect stars. Mkay lirl
Here's what I said:
"Must be why there's such a long history of skilled players performing better with a guy like that in the lineup, eh?"

Can you explain to me how you think that means "no teams have ever had a Martin like player to help protect stars"?

Reactions: Mork and Menzinger

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Here's what I said:
"Must be why there's such a long history of skilled players performing better with a guy like that in the lineup, eh?"

Can you explain to me how you think that means "no teams have ever had a Martin like player to help protect stars"?
I think that's self explanatory. Unless I misread it being Martin specific. In that case the Islanders are not a playoff team without him it would appear. Not saying it's just that but an example

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think that's self explanatory. Unless I misread it being Martin specific. In that case the Islanders are not a playoff team without him it would appear. Not saying it's just that but an example
I made a sarcastic post pointing out that skilled players don't actually perform better with an enforcer in the lineup, and you think it's self explanatory that what I'm actually saying is that no team has ever employed an enforcer as a preventative measure?

You really must have missed the sarcasm, right?

Reactions: Menzinger

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its all about how hard players are on the puck instead of dropping the gloves or being a pest. Putting a "boards guy" on each line gives the other two players an excuse to be soft. Babs insulation has led to this.

Reactions: Nalens Oga

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I made a sarcastic post pointing out that skilled players don't actually perform better with an enforcer in the lineup, and you think it's self explanatory that what I'm actually saying is that no team has ever employed an enforcer as a preventative measure?

You really must have missed the sarcasm, right?
indeed :)

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
Its all about how hard players are on the puck instead of dropping the gloves or being a pest. Putting a "boards guy" on each line gives the other two players an excuse to be soft. Babs insulation has led to this.

I never considered this, but I think this is correct. Wow. Learn something new every day.
You can go down the list with this...Nylander is terrible on the boards, Marner tries but has more work to do, JVR couldn't win a board battle if his life depended on it. That's every line. I understand the mentality of "there's got to be a guy to get the other guys the puck", but when that guy doesn't do his job, what do the other two do, just stand there and wait for it? Every player needs to at least try to "get the puck" themselves. That's why VGKs are successful. Same goes for Minnesota last night. Battle, battle battle. Heck, that's why Boston's top line is so dominant. Every one of those three is a board battler.

Reactions: great

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Patrick Marleau, a guy derided for being too soft in the playoffs during his career, has been one of the most physical Leafs on the boards in this series. That's a serious issue imo.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I never considered this, but I think this is correct. Wow. Learn something new every day.
You can go down the list with this...Nylander is terrible on the boards, Marner tries but has more work to do, JVR couldn't win a board battle if his life depended on it. That's every line. I understand the mentality of "there's got to be a guy to get the other guys the puck", but when that guy doesn't do his job, what do the other two do, just stand there and wait for it? Every player needs to at least try to "get the puck" themselves. That's why VGKs are successful. Same goes for Minnesota last night. Battle, battle battle. Heck, that's why Boston's top line is so dominant. Every one of those three is a board battler.
Jets are the best example of a team that battles line 1-4. Even the smaller players fight through checks for each puck. End result is a scoring chance or drawing the penalty. Would be nice when you have a top five PP.
Instead we have Hyman, Komarov and Polak force fed minutes to make up the difference. Essentially its a modern day Burke version on how to construct a lineup. Instead of grinders on line 3 & 4, its grinders on each line. Same **** different pile.
I'm sure tonight they'll come out guns blazing hitting everything in sight and pull off the victory. Then the adrenalin wears off for games 4,5 and its over.
I have no doubt Shanny and Lou will address these issues this summer.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Patrick Marleau, a guy derided for being too soft in the playoffs during his career, has been one of the most physical Leafs on the boards in this series. That's a serious issue imo.
I'm really impressed with this signing. Wouldn't be opposed to another high functioning vet or two on a short term deal in the offseason.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They don't need fighters but they do need some more sandpaper. Bozaks line alone is super soft. Komarov doesn't hit anymore and Polak plays too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They don't need fighters but they do need some more sandpaper. Bozaks line alone is super soft. Komarov doesn't hit anymore and Polak plays too much.

^ This. Having mediocre players in a lineup is almost unavoidable, but they don't kill you until you have to start using them too much. Better players than RP can become liabilities if they play too far up the lineup. Polak gets his ice time because the Leaf's D is too soft and his ice time has gone UP in the playoffs. They need more guys that are harder to play against because they have enough skill not everyone has to be a gunslinger. This season Polak should have been a 6-7 guy. The Leafs forwards are not defensively responsible enough to make him a safe 18:00 per night option. Borgman led them in hits per game, but they need a right shot guy who bumps a bit as well, and have nothing like that in the system.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is the most important topic today, because the leafs clearly lost the physicality competition. Boston owned the boards, hemmed in TOR most of the night, and cycled the puck down low better than TOR ever could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->