The Physicality Myth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The idea that a "protector" helps a team's confidence is absurd?

Weird then that Marner would use that in describing the loss of Kadri.

Yes it’s absurd because at best it’s a placebo.

You don’t sit a player like Kapanen or Johnsson that.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yes it’s absurd because at best it’s a placebo.

You don’t sit a player like Kapanen or Johnsson that.

Who said you do that? Komarov is a candidate. So is Plekanec. Leivo in for Plekanec and Martin in for Komarov.

Placebos are very effective. The mind is a very powerful thing.

What's the worst that could happen? Losing game 3? Sort of heading there already aren't we?

Reactions: dsred

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The idea that a "protector" helps a team's confidence is absurd?

Weird then that Marner would use that in describing the loss of Kadri.

Marner says Kadri is 'a big brother to this team ... a protector out there'

Disappointed by the length of suspension to Nazem Kadri, Mitch Marner says that the team will feel his absence, and that he is a big brother to many of the younger players.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/marner...er-to-this-team-a-protector-out-there~1371094

Reactions: Pookie

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Marner says Kadri is 'a big brother to this team ... a protector out there'

Disappointed by the length of suspension to Nazem Kadri, Mitch Marner says that the team will feel his absence, and that he is a big brother to many of the younger players.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/marner...er-to-this-team-a-protector-out-there~1371094

Right now we are playing this like:

giphy.gif

Reactions: yubbers

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kadri out and now Komarov out and those are Leafs 2 most physical forwards in terms of hitting and able to play the Bruins game.

An already soft team got even softer now and Bruins are going to exploit that Leaf weakness even more now.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Matt Martin back in the line-up in game #3.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Kerby Rychel would look pretty good on our 4th line right now...

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Do you see why we should spend JVR money on a guy like Simmonds now?

So done with that cupcake

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
Everyone laughed when I said/say Martin needs to play...I don't get it. We have enough talented forwards who can score...well should be able to score.

I love it though physical play is a " myth " just to funny. That being said Martin is not going to stop the top Bruins line...I don't think anyone can best chance is Kadri this team is SOFT playoffs are showing that. You don't have to be big tough guy to play physical with some grit....it will be fixed next year at least I hope...

Lets tie the series and make it at interesting to watch

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
And the nerf hockey fans still can't admit they're wrong. The game hasn't changed that much when it matters

Nope and all the other matchups seem to be even more physical then this one. JVR what a beast that guy can be if he had some physical game. Hyman is the type of player I love...not the best skills but he will do it all or at least try

Reactions: yubbers and deepz

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
And the nerf hockey fans still can't admit they're wrong. The game hasn't changed that much when it matters
All year on HF it’s been small, skilled fast players are what we need. People were upset when we even drafted anyone big because it was the “old way” to play in the NHL.

Now, where are those posters? They’re just as shook as the Leafs in these playoffs. The fact remains you need sandpaper and grit and “being a man” in addition to skill. I watch all of the playoffs (not just the Leafs) and hitting is real. Aggression is part of the game and we have none.

Luckily I think our ownership and management will correct this. Too many soft players on this roster.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Having Matt Martin in the lineup wouldn't have made any difference so far in the series. The Leafs are being out hustled, out skilled, out smarted and out scored. It's not the Bruins' physical game that's been obstructing our kids, it's our kids who are obstructing their own way and our vets are napping and doing absolutely nothing to help. A young core of players without much playoff experience in the oppositions barn is ripe for the taking. This is where we need our vets and coaching to be the calming presence. None of our vets have made any sort of impact and if anything, guys like Gardiner/ Hainsey/ JVR/ Bozak/ Polak have been soft as butter and have been absolute turnover machines. When your vets get flustered, it's very hard for the kids to stay calm.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Need skilled players that are not scared. They have to be willing to get in someone's face or use their body. We have guys in this series afraid to take a check and that's why we are losing.

Martin is not the difference maker. Guys that get in their faces and don't get pushed around win.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Having Matt Martin in the lineup wouldn't have made any difference so far in the series. The Leafs are being out hustled, out skilled, out smarted and out scored. It's not the Bruins' physical game that's been obstructing our kids, it's our kids who are obstructing their own way and our vets are napping and doing absolutely nothing to help. A young core of players without much playoff experience in the oppositions barn is ripe for the taking. This is where we need our vets and coaching to be the calming presence. None of our vets have made any sort of impact and if anything, guys like Gardiner/ Hainsey/ JVR/ Bozak/ Polak have been soft as butter and have been absolute turnover machines. When your vets get flustered, it's very hard for the kids to stay calm.
You fail to realize how guys like Martin help skill play their game.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
You fail to realize how guys like Martin help skill play their game.
I don't want to knock Martin in any way. Believe me, if I had it my way, all of Martin, AJ and Leivo would be in the lineup and Moore, Turtleneck and Leo would be sitting.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Need skilled players that are not scared. They have to be willing to get in someone's face or use their body. We have guys in this series afraid to take a check and that's why we are losing.

Martin is not the difference maker. Guys that get in their faces and don't get pushed around win.

I agree with you. I would love it if our team had more Kadris. But we have what we have.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

This series in terms of physicality and punishment could really be labeled ;

Pit Bulls vs Poodles

With the Pit Bulls dominating in all aspects of the game enforcing their will upon the Poodles.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Maybe Hunter knew what he was doing when he was drafting some grit, size, and physicality. You'd be surprised at how effectively those 3 traits can negate talent. Obviously, it's a generalization. It's not toughness>talent. However, I always thought a team should be a swiss army knife. Versatile and can adapt to any situation.

Reactions: thewave

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
no f***ing way Marner is anywhere near 175 pounds
team lacks confidence and Babcock is pushing the line match nonsense
the team needs to play their game not trying to match the bruins game

Reactions: HockeyMad68

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe Hunter knew what he was doing when he was drafting some grit, size, and physicality. You'd be surprised at how effectively those 3 traits can negate talent. Obviously, it's a generalization. It's not toughness>talent. However, I always thought a team should be a swiss army knife. Versatile and can adapt to any situation.

The big, heavy, physical Bruins team is also full of skill and highend talent as the Bergeron line is demonstrating & can play the game anyway they want, while the the Leafs can really only play the game one way as its built on speed and skill and lacks size and toughness.

If you contain the speed by disrupting the rush you have all but eliminated the Leafs and their greatest ability.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->