The Philly Flu

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I was curious if there was a wikipedia article on the actual Philly Flu, so I googled it and there wasn't. There was, however, an urban dictionary entry. Not the best reference site, obviously, but not too bad. Lo and behold it was posted by one of our own.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Philly Flu

An athlete or performer who fakes illness, injury or misfortune (e.g. missing equipment) in order to not have to appear in front of a rude crowd is said to have the Philly Flu.

While the crowd intimidation factor is sort of plausible, I've been under the impression for 30 years that it was much more a matter of the physical intimidation of the Bullies. I'm not sure I can imagine a pro hockey player avoiding a game entirely because of what the fans might say or the possibility of a beer being poured on his head. And I find it odd that ol' chaos didn't even make mention of the physicality aspect. But it got me to thinking, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's a lot about the history I don't know.

So, thoughts? Evidence? Memories? Urban legends? I'd love to learn more about all of the history that shaped the coinage of the term.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
o-TAYLOR-CROSBY-SIDNEY-CROSBY-SISTER-facebook.jpg

Sry, my bad.

5366820.jpg

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
dont agree with definition in the dictionary at all...the philly flu meant that opposing teams were ****scared of the flyers and players would fall conveniently ill the day they were to meet them in the spectrum.

they werent worried about getting booed or even beaten on the score board they were worried about getting beaten up.

SgtJoseph*

The PHilly Flu was quite rampant during the Broad street Bullies days , i have seen opposing players actually comment on it as they reflected back on their careers when the topic of playing the Flyers was brought up in an interview .

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
The PHilly Flu was quite rampant during the Broad street Bullies days , i have seen opposing players actually comment on it as they reflected back on their careers when the topic of playing the Flyers was brought up in an interview .
Which ones?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
To attribute specific names goes against the ingrained mentality of a player; however, plenty of opponents mentioned they had teammates who would come down with the ailment. Walt McKechnie was one who was quoted about having such teammates. Joe Micheleti said something about it, regarding teammates. Mike Richter mentioned it though I think that was more when he was younger based on his memories. Dave Poulin, from when the Spectrum closed, said after he was traded, that he had mates who were intimidated; so that extended into the 90s. Brad Marsh said prior to coming to the Flyers, he knew guys who would suddenly come up with issues.

Last edited:

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Oh right.

I guess I didn't realize how "ratty" the question was, given the visibility of the board, and the fact that most of the players are still living.

Well, maybe we can look forward to a deeper discussion (roast) on some future forum, say about 75 years after the BSB era. Nice round number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad