OT: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers: The Sixers Use Harden - It Was Super Effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
When was the last time a Philly team brought in a veteran star player and that player actually played near expectations?

It seems a big move that always blows up in the Philly team's faces.

I said at the time, I didn't see the point in acquiring Harden. He was near the end. I would have rather taken two good role players for Simmons

I guess Bryce Harper and TO are the only examples in the last 20 years of a move actually working out.
We brought in Butler and he played to expectations especially when it mattered in the playoffs and when Brown conceded and let Butler be the point forward. They then proceeded to coddle Ben and conceded to him as the PG to lead the team into the future. As we saw ...terrible short-sighted decision given that Ben Simmons hates playing basketball but likes the lifestyle it offers...hence his shitty work ethic and attitude. Ben Simmons seriously screwed this team over something bad but he was enabled by a dipshit FO. Let's see if Morey can do better....the Harden play was definitely risky one but we had to move on from the cancer that was Ben Simmons.

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
Incidentally, the Flyers problem during the 90's was that they refused to bring in vet pieces to put them over the top. I checked some of Dallas' moves during that timeframe - Belfour, Hull, Verbeek.... all guys who were huge pieces for them.

Meanwhile, Clarke wasn't doing shit of note in free agency and trading valuable assets for players like Daigle and Falloon.

It will be a miracle if a Philly team ever gets competent management again.

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
We brought in Butler and he played to expectations especially when it mattered in the playoffs and when Brown conceded and let Butler be the point forward. They then proceeded to coddle Ben and conceded to him as the PG to lead the team into the future. As we saw ...terrible short-sighted decision given that Ben Simmons hates playing basketball but likes the lifestyle it offers...hence his shitty work ethic and attitude. Ben Simmons seriously screwed this team over something bad but he was enabled by a dipshit FO. Let's see if Morey can do better....the Harden play was definitely risky one but we had to move on from the cancer that was Ben Simmons.
im not going to give them credit for the Butler trade. They blew assets on a rental.

In hindsight, they should have signed Butler and traded Simmons but that was impossible to predict at the time.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Incidentally, the Flyers problem during the 90's was that they refused to bring in vet pieces to put them over the top. I checked some of Dallas' moves during that timeframe - Belfour, Hull, Verbeek.... all guys who were huge pieces for them.

Meanwhile, Clarke wasn't doing shit of note in free agency and trading valuable assets for players like Daigle and Falloon.

It will be a miracle if a Philly team ever gets competent management again.
Let me introduce you to the Philadelphia Eagles. You will be very happy.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
im not going to give them credit for the Butler trade. They blew assets on a rental.

In hindsight, they should have signed Butler and traded Simmons but that was impossible to predict at the time.
It was not impossible to predict.....they just kept ignoring the red flags and even the history from his LSU stint. So I call BS on that...

BTW those assets turned out to be negligible anyway for the most part...

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It was not impossible to predict.....they just kept ignoring the red flags and even the history from his LSU stint. So I call BS on that...

i saw someone on a video podcast talk about the issues with Simmons started early in his youth. Even on his travel bball teams he would just do what he wanted and was so good at it coaches wouldn't be able to get through to him. He has never been told what to do on a basketball court.

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
i was trying to be nice to say it was impossible to predict

they essentially ruined their chances there.... horrible management

Reactions: Embiid

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
i saw someone on a video podcast talk about the issues with Simmons started early in his youth. Even on his travel bball teams he would just do what he wanted and was so good at it coaches wouldn't be able to get through to him. He has never been told what to do on a basketball court.
I mean Paul Pierce in a video montage I posted up thread that had all sorts of snippets about Simmons' lack of character said it best when he said you have to be a real asshole to get kicked out of a practice by Doc Rivers which was a double insult because Doc Rivers might as well be like Doug Mo with his practices. Niang was laughing in a podcast interview with Redick about how when Niang came over from Utah to the Sixers it was like heaven because of how light and player friendly Doc Rivers' practices typically are...Redick pretty much agreed.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
When was the last time a Philly team brought in a veteran star player and that player actually played near expectations?

It seems a big move that always blows up in the Philly team's faces.

I said at the time, I didn't see the point in acquiring Harden. He was near the end. I would have rather taken two good role players for Simmons

I guess Bryce Harper and TO are the only examples in the last 20 years of a move actually working out.
Both of these guys were pretty good...

CBX11070212_Phillies_at_Blue_Jays.jpg

GYI0064336082.jpg

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
Both of these guys were pretty good...

CBX11070212_Phillies_at_Blue_Jays.jpg

GYI0064336082.jpg

yea but it seemed it could have been so much better... the entire "4 Aces" team didn't meet expectations.

I didn't like how they let the offense rot.

The 2008 and 1980 teams won mainly because of great everyday lineups.
I'd much rather have a stacked lineup than "4 Aces".
So, I guess Lee and Halliday pitched well prior to injuries but I didn't like the construction and concept of the team

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
yea but it seemed it could have been so much better... the entire "4 Aces" team didn't meet expectations.

I didn't like how they let the offense rot.

The 2008 and 1980 teams won mainly because of great everyday lineups.
I'd much rather have a stacked lineup than "4 Aces".
So, I guess Lee and Halliday pitched well prior to injuries but I didn't like the construction and concept of the team

They had the best record in baseball in 2010 and 2011. After winning the WS in 2008 they lost to the eventual WS champs the next three years. Obviously it was disappointing but that's really not too shabby.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad