OT: The Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers are glad to have a Butler part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Tough loss. Too many missed free throws, gave up way too many wide open looks, and way too much TJ in the first half. Horribly officiated game too, dreadful in fact.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
take a look at the replay. Simmons had a clear path to the rim, and was in the best scoring position of anyone on the team.

Jerami Grant was right under the basket. He could easily have blocked Simmons path or at least fouled him. Fault Simmons for his outside shooting but he has never been reluctant to attack the rim. First option in that situation is always going to be Butler, then probably JJ then Embiid. Simmons is not the guy you want taking the last shot.

Jimmy Butler with an Important Miss vs. Oklahoma City Thunder in the fourth quarter | NBA.com

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Jerami Grant was right under the basket. He could easily have blocked Simmons path or at least fouled him. Fault Simmons for his outside shooting but he has never been reluctant to attack the rim. First option in that situation is always going to be Butler, then probably JJ then Embiid. Simmons is not the guy you want taking the last shot.

Jimmy Butler with an Important Miss vs. Oklahoma City Thunder in the fourth quarter | NBA.com

he has been reluctant to attack the rim out of fear of going to the line.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Would you trade Simmons for whoever gets the pick to choose Zion?
Haven't seen enough of him to say definitively but probably not. If for no other reason than fit. He's another guy that will do his damage in the paint without much of a perimeter game. You lose Simmons' playmaking and defensive versatility.

Zion is so funny looking. Guy looks like a DT playing basketball.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Then you don’t want him doing it there, do you. Like I said, he is not a first or second option in that situation.
Then why is he the one coming and getting the ball with 5 seconds left and an entire court to travel? If he's not going to shoot or drive the rim, don't put the ball in his hands. He dished it 5 feet away to a double teamed Butler and that was the game

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Then why is he the one coming and getting the ball with 5 seconds left and an entire court to travel? If he's not going to shoot or drive the rim, don't put the ball in his hands. He dished it 5 feet away to a double teamed Butler and that was the game

Because he’s the point guard. That’s his job. Pass it to the guy who gets the last shot. If JJ or Butler bring the ball up, do you really think they’ll be able to also get open for a shot?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Because he’s the point guard. That’s his job. Pass it to the guy who gets the last shot. If JJ or Butler bring the ball up, do you really think they’ll be able to also get open for a shot?
They could at least pull up and take a shot....something Ben would never do.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They could at least pull up and take a shot....something Ben would never do.

They would get double teamed. Which was the end result anyway. At least this way Butler got to his favorite spot. If he’s handling the ball there’s a good chance he wouldn’t be able to.

We all know Simmons has his weaknesses. They’re obvious to everyone. It’s silly to blame him for not doing something that he’s not good at. If I’m going to blame anyone for that last play I blame Brown for not drawing up a better play.Everyone knows Butler likes to take the last shot and everyone knows where he likes to take if from. OKC was waiting for it.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

FreeChristianWood

Ahh, the most excellent student of the 13th year of highschool. You would make Mike Levin proud. We're in the 10-day signing period right? I think Corey Brewer took that unused roster spot. Adding Wood probably displaces Milton or Hightower, pending the restrictions if either of those are G-League related.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

XDevilBoiX

Jan 29, 2011
By the way, Westbrook is such a chump.
2hdofnn.jpg

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
he has been reluctant to attack the rim out of fear of going to the line.
Simmons is top 20 in FTA's per game and top 10 in FTR (free throws per shot attempt).
He also has three other guys on his roster who average at least 18 pts a game who need their touches.
He should attack more, I agree. But you've got to find the touches.

He gets to the line at an elite level already. That's not what hurts you.
Missing free throws when you get there is what hurts you. 6 TO's kills you.
That's 6 possessions where you dont even get a shot up (lost touches) and OKC turned EVERY turn it seemed into points this afternoon.

Sixers get into trouble when they lean too heavily on Redick in 2nd halves and stop running / make mistakes in transition.
I've said it before but I would take some of Redick's touches and roll them over into Simmons isos in the post and on the perimeter.
Gotta set the table now with him and getting the ball out of Redick's hands a little more is addition by subtraction.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
poor free throw shooting and passing/turnovers at critical times,are the chinks in bens armor. hope he eventually learns how to take over a game,when it matters.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Grant still can't shoot a lick, I'd take Bolden over the long haul.

Sixers biggest problem is inflated expectations, Embiid and Simmonds are works in progress, Shamet and Bolden are rookies, Fultz is a weird story, Smith is still in rehab. Riddick is fine but should be coming off the bench with reduced minutes, he's Korver with athleticism but doesn't defend well enough to start. Love TJ, but he should never be matched against someone like Westbrook. Plays too many minutes.

The solutions are on the roster, what this team needs is patience, experience and polish and better depth.

Worst thing they could do this offseason, other than let Butler walk, is to pursue a "name" instead of solid bench pieces that can address their weaknesses (someone who can defend small forwards when Butler rests, Fultz/Smith can handle 2 guards and even point guards).

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Boy has that move turned out poorly too. Traded for immediate help way too soon and a pick that never had a chance at being used productively. Some of his advanced numbers are absurd.

Yeah, I always liked him. He’s developed into a nice player. He’s even developed a bit of an outside game.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Harden has 163 points in his last 3 games, none assisted. :laugh:

Since this seems to be a topic recently, I think the Rockets are horrendous to watch...but the theory is sound. Look, you're not going to win a Warriors series trying to beat them at their own game because they genuinely are that much better than everyone else. You have to find an edge. It's damn near impossible to test something like this in practicality because you need an engine. Harden can do it and beyond that...LeBron and maybe Irving?

Somehow these numbers get painted as Harden not passing, when that's patently false. He passes a ton -- almost as much as Chris Paul. It's the rest of the team that doesn't pass because the system asks them not to do so.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Since this seems to be a topic recently, I think the Rockets are horrendous to watch...but the theory is sound. Look, you're not going to win a Warriors series trying to beat them at their own game because they genuinely are that much better than everyone else. You have to find an edge. It's damn near impossible to test something like this in practicality because you need an engine. Harden can do it and beyond that...LeBron and maybe Irving?

Somehow these numbers get painted as Harden not passing, when that's patently false. He passes a ton -- almost as much as Chris Paul. It's the rest of the team that doesn't pass because the system asks them not to do so.

They play ISO ball right? I mean, when you got Harden, I can see why you would play that.

It's boring as hell, but it works.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->