The Peter DeBoer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I said this after the Islanders game... but opposing forwards are not afraid to skate and dance around in our zone. Guys like Volchenkov, Harrold, and Salvador plain SUCK against guys like Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov (he was a non-factor last night), Perron, Hemsky...

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I'll just leave this here:

Jason Arnott: “In the last few weeks Jacques has taken over and he set a tone for us. He put in a system that works for our team and you can tell when we do it to a T we create goals and we win hockey games. It’s helped us out a lot. Jacques has changed the mentality of the team. He puts confidence into the players. I don’t know how he does it but he really gets involved behind the bench, he comes out one-on-one in practice and teaches us things, even me. I have been in the league a long time and I am still learning. He still teaches me things and when you get a coach like that you can tell the difference in the hockey club. We have more confidence in what we are doing on the ice and we are having more fun. He came in and told us we had to get back into shape, and start working harder. Then he implemented a system and it has been working great ever since.â€

http://thehockeywriters.com/jacques-lemaire-i-believe-in-my-guys/

Sounds like exactly what these guys need. If I'm Lou, I'm on the phone with Lemaire. Right now. Starting the begging process.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I said this after the Islanders game... but opposing forwards are not afraid to skate and dance around in our zone. Guys like Volchenkov, Harrold, and Salvador plain SUCK against guys like Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov (he was a non-factor last night), Perron, Hemsky...

He was great under Lemaire. I think he'd benefit the most from a coaching change. His style just doesn't fit this system. Which is why I was surprised we didn't just buy him out and keep Tally.

Even though I'm not one to bury Volch because I do recognize the contributions he can potentially make, I'm not too sure if he can actually makes those contributions here.

This team needs a defensive system. I know Lemaire won't come back because he's 67, enjoying family life - but how about hiring him as an "advisor" to Stevens. Fly the damn team out to him to teach them some work ethic.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I actually think the team played it's best hockey under Sutter to be honest. They were scoring 3, 4, 5, and 6 goals regularly and were still playing defense.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Yes that makes sense.

Our deficiencies are on the back end, defensively. Player development. Discipline.

And let's not bring on a guy who rectified those VERY SAME problems last time. That's the LAST thing this team needs.

Not true. Last time he brought a system into a team that had none (players actually said they had no idea what sort of system they were supposed to be playing) and got them into shape and skating when they weren't. Plus he was notorious for not playing youth and bingo balling the lines even more than Pete. I love Lemaire but if he shows up as Pete's replacement, I think we're in more trouble than he can solve as an organization.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
im really pretty sure we dont want Lavy anywhere near this team. get lemaire or maurice behind the bench with pete to sort this **** out. and for the love of god, get rid of the boneheads on D

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
dude its time to move on from Lemaire. hes like 70 years old. I don't want that guy coaching anymore.

That's an entirely different argument. You said "the last thing this team needs is Lemaire" which, when not justified or qualified with anything, is asinine.

Especially considering Lemaire's best traits are traits that would almost instantly impact this team positively (since he's done it before, here, with a bigger train wreck).

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Not true. Last time he brought a system into a team that had none (players actually said they had no idea what sort of system they were supposed to be playing) and got them into shape and skating when they weren't. Plus he was notorious for not playing youth and bingo balling the lines even more than Pete. I love Lemaire but if he shows up as Pete's replacement, I think we're in more trouble than he can solve as an organization.

I don't agree that it would symbol some huge problem within the organization. However, I don't think it's time to give up on Pete. So an "adviser" role or an assistant role would be great.

Though great point on Johnny Mac's lack of a system. Though I don't believe it would be that much of a problem for Lemaire to implement his system.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That's an entirely different argument. You said "the last thing this team needs is Lemaire" which, when not justified or qualified with anything, is asinine.

Especially considering Lemaire's best traits are traits that would almost instantly impact this team positively (since he's done it before, here, with a bigger train wreck).

dude...he's like, 70 years old :sarcasm:

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown

At least someone here gets it. The defense is Volchenkov, Salvador, Greene, Harrold, Larson and Zidlicky. Take a deep and repeat those names to yourself. Then take a moment to let it soak in. What exactly do you expect from this group that your not getting? They are going to get eaten up most nights. You can blame the coach for minor things like Fayne sitting and not using his timeout properly but at the end of the day he can only play the guys on his roster. By the way, who put this roster together and why isn't there a thread about him? Not being negative, being realistic. No one on this board had realistic expectations for this team this year.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
In a couple years, having Larsson, Greene, Merrill, Severson, and Gelinas back there is going to be amazing... but the Devils need a veteran that's 25-30 years old back there.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
In a couple years, having Larsson, Greene, Merrill, Severson, and Gelinas back there is going to be amazing... but the Devils need a veteran that's 25-30 years old back there.

It's alright. Greene will be the veteran back there. And we'll have Fayne too! in 5 years he'll be 31 and will help....oh wait.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Are we throwing out the name of Lemaire as a replacement for DeBoer? Why don't we bring back Robbie Ftorek as well?

I just think it's time to put the Lemaire "speculation" to rest, unless Lou has gone completely mad.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
In a couple years, having Larsson, Greene, Merrill, Severson, and Gelinas back there is going to be amazing..

i used to think that too. but with the way larsson's being bungled, who knows how these young guys will turn out?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would like Lemaire back, but I doubt he'd return. Even if he did, it would only be the rest of the season. He's old and enjoying retirement I'm sure.

One things for sure, if we played Lemaire's type system, the breakdowns would be less frequent. We would probably allow the same amount of shots against, but they would be much safer.

Marty would probably look a hell of a lot better under Lemaire or a system like the one Lemaire plays.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I would like Lemaire back, but I doubt he'd return. Even if he did, it would only be the rest of the season. He's old and enjoying retirement I'm sure.

One things for sure, if we played Lemaire's type system, the breakdowns would be less frequent. We would probably allow the same amount of shots against, but they would be much safer.

Marty would probably look a hell of a lot better under Lemaire or a system like the one Lemaire plays.

Kovy would abandon his KHL dreams and run back. He absolutely LOVED Lemaire and was devastated when he left.

(I'm obviously joking about him leaving but Kovy did love Lemaire. All the players did but Kovy most of all.)

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Kovy would abandon his KHL dreams and run back. He absolutely LOVED Lemaire and was devastated when he left.

(I'm obviously joking about him leaving but Kovy did love Lemaire. All the players did but Kovy most of all.)

If Lemaire was still the Devils coach, Ilya Kovalchuk would still be on this roster. That's how much of a bromance there was between the two (imo)

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Glad to see people finally reaching the conclusion that DeBoer isnt a very good NHL coach.

Took a while, but people finally came around.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Glad to see people finally reaching the conclusion that DeBoer isnt a very good NHL coach.

Took a while, but people finally came around.

I've always been skeptical of him, but never thought he was this bad. I've seen a lot of ''Deboer is one of the best coaches in the league'' and I wonder what makes people really believe this. A coach that's been to the playoffs once in 5 years.

We need a breakaway counter each game. We've averaged 3-5 breakaways against per game so far? I can't keep up.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You know what else would be less frequent under Lemaire? Goals.

We added SIX new players this offseason. Chemistry isn't something that just happens 7 days into the season. This is a marathon, and you can't be eliminated in the first 5-10 games.

I can't defend Volchenkov or Harrold in over Fayne, but Lou is as much to blame for giving Volch a 6 year deal and bringing back Zids/Harrold when we were already gushing with D.

People forget that this was an 8-10th place team the first half of 2012 until the Poni/Zids acquisitions. We were playing win one/lose one hockey for 40 games.

If we were losing with Fayne and Josefson in the lineup, would you guys still be complaining about the coaching? I doubt it.

It's October 8th, everyone relax. Can we at least wait until Halloween before freak out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad