The Peter DeBoer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I still can't understand why Laviolette's name keeps being tossed around when our #1 issue is defensive breakdowns.

Have we gone that crazy?

Yes.
This is why most of us are not allowed to manage professional hockey teams, or walk with sharp objects.

DevilChuk*

I think Deboer is a very good hockey mind.. his system is honestly one of the best I've seen in awhile here in NJ.

That said, he's slowly proving he's not a very good manager. He may not be given the best deal but he's not playing his best hand possible, either. On top of his stupid line-up choices, he makes poor in-game decisions ranging from how much he plays certain lines/pairings (and the situations) and his ability to manage the game (timeouts, in-game adjustments, etc.).

It is starting to appear like Deboer might make an excellent assistant coach but a not so good head coach. Hopefully he turns it around.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
You just know they won't.

Volch and Harrold will still be paired together and little Gio will be at center on the 4th line.

I'm not sure why this is a problem, he actually has been playing pretty good (aside from faceoffs, but that seems to be a devils problem at the moment.)

I understand the want to see Yayo get another shot because I want to also, but CBGB is working right now. If our top guys like Henrique, Zajac and a few other devils we count on arn't putting up goals I'm not sure why everyone thinks Yayo coming in will change everything. Especially when Gionta is doing good with minimal mistakes.

You can point to the minus 2 in the other game but he literally stepped on the ice behind the play when one happened and had no part in the second.

Yayo will get his chance, no need to do it at the expense of someone who is actually doing their job.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I once waited to use my timeout until we were down 4-2 with 90s remaining.

Lead 1-0 and then took 38 penalty minutes in the 2nd period and trailed 4-1 after it.

Professional athletes shouldnt need an extra 30s break after giving up a goal to realize their 3-0 lead has evaporated.

We've seen taking the TO have absolutely no effect a helluvalot more than having a big one.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I still think the Finals run was due to Oates and Robinson

The Finals run was due to great team chemistry and Marty channeling his younger self. And I think a lot of teams were caught off guard by just how aggressive we were, both offensively and defensively. Then we ran into a team that played the same way, but were better at it, and we lost.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i really dont think firing pete is the answer. all we need to do is sort out our defense- and for all we know, hes being handcuffed by Lou. i'm reminded of a ****show in petes first game back in florida, where he handled the loss very well with the players. lets hope this is something similar

NC107*

I have said some of this before the coaching staff doesn't appreciate chemistry. Lines that don't constantly change get to know one another and learn where a player will be. These coaches don't seem to spend time grooming young players instead they yank them when they make a mistake while leaving vets in after making numerous mistake. I don't think Stevens is a good or even a fair defensive coach and that is hurting the team. Robinson worked with all players especially the young ones. DeBoer lets Lou Lams run the team and is afraid of losing his job. Set an example Lou fire Stevens first. If things don't improve then fire DeBoer.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I once waited to use my timeout until we were down 4-2 with 90s remaining.

Lead 1-0 and then took 38 penalty minutes in the 2nd period and trailed 4-1 after it.

Professional athletes shouldnt need an extra 30s break after giving up a goal to realize their 3-0 lead has evaporated.

We've seen taking the TO have absolutely no effect a helluvalot more than having a big one.

As Edmonton's use of the timeout last night showed us. They continued to play like crap the 2nd period and got boo'd loudly for not "turning it around" after calling timeout.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
Pete may be too nice of a guy, he needs to crack the whip more

- last year, on the Florida trip, the guys are out getting sunburned and playing golf instead of focusing on hockey...I bet they enjoyed it, they extended that vacation for the rest of the season

- resting everyone in the preseason, the team probably would have come out stronger if they had taken camp & preseason a little more seriously...and with all the new guys, they needed the time together to adjust

- it's nice to start Schneider in Vancouver, and possibly the right call based on Brodeur's performance last night...but why announce it ahead of time? It's as if they were looking past the Edmonton game - every game is important when the team is winless...one game at a time just win it

Buckingham Claude*

This is Lou's fault more so than DeBoer, however i would like to see Deboer show more emotion once in a while. I played college hockey and our coach was too easy one year. It makes a difference.

Lamoriello got us into this pickle by putting together a really bad defense. There are only two defenseman I would keep - Salvador and Greene.

After game 2 someone replied back to me and said "Harrold had a great game, why would we replace him?"

My answer: Harrold is a career minor leaguer, He reminds me of Mike Motteau. You don't win cups with a shaky D. That's a fact.

Zidlicki, Volchenkov, Harrold and even Larsson are all weak d men.

The NJDs won cups with good D and goaltending. The forward just need to work hard and put some in the net like they did last night.

Don't fire Pete yet.

Trade a good forward for a D man or bring up some kids to see how things fare.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Not that it would ever happen under Lemaire, but if we ever did blow a three-goal lead with him, the presser would have been real interesting.

Pointed this out last night. I miss his post games like hell. Talk about making a fan feel like **** is going to get DONE.

Oh where or where has my Jacques Lemaire gone
Oh where oh where can he beeeee

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
This is Lou's fault more so than DeBoer, however i would like to see Deboer show more emotion once in a while. I played college hockey and our coach was too easy one year. It makes a difference.

Lamoriello got us into this pickle by putting together a really bad defense. There are only two defenseman I would keep - Salvador and Greene.

After game 2 someone replied back to me and said "Harrold had a great game, why would we replace him?"

My answer: Harrold is a career minor leaguer, He reminds me of Mike Motteau. You don't win cups with a shaky D. That's a fact.

Zidlicki, Volchenkov, Harrold and even Larsson are all weak d men.

The NJDs won cups with good D and goaltending. The forward just need to work hard and put some in the net like they did last night.

Don't fire Pete yet.

Trade a good forward for a D man or bring up some kids to see how things fare.

Larsson played very well yesterday......

Buckingham Claude*

Larsson played very well yesterday......

How did you like Larsson game 2?

Everyone has good games, even Volchenkov has good games.

I am not picking on Larsson but fans need to realize he may have boneheaded tendencies. Hockey intelligence does not grow on trees. I want to see him flourish and certainly have not given up, but you can't tell me the progress has been good.

It's the other guys I have serious problems with.

Volch, Zid and Harrold should not be in this line up.

Lamoriello needs to do something about this. What he does I have no idea but I am not the GM.

We will continue to disappoint until this is rectified. All 3 need to go ASAP (Volch, Zid and Harrold)

They will look good, and then they will look bad,

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Haha, this thread is absolutely hysterical.

This loss is not Deboer's fault. Brodeur, who did make some good saves tonight, let in two soft goals to allow Edmonton to tie things up, and made a poor effort on the go ahead goal to Hall (despite that also being blown coverage).

Calling a timeout would have changed the game how, exactly? That sounds like a an arbitrary thing to ***** about.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
before we fire our coach lets see if our goalies can stop some pucks then we can cry about firing our coach

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

This loss is not Deboer's fault. Brodeur, who did make some good saves tonight, let in two soft goals to allow Edmonton to tie things up, and made a poor effort on the go ahead goal to Hall (despite that also being blown coverage).

Calling a timeout would have changed the game how, exactly? That sounds like a an arbitrary thing to ***** about.

no broeduer has been awesome so far in the two losses if debeor knew what he was doing brodeur would not have let in 4 goals in 7 mintues

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I just wish Pete would acknowledge the specific deficiencies in the team's play right now and give us some kind of assurance that it's bring worked on. Instead we get the same canned lines after every game while the same mistakes keep happening.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Here's my solution. Fayne in for Harrold, Josefson in for Gionta, Laviolette offered an assistant coaches position. Gives DeBoer a reason to find some motivation without firing him.

Wednesday/Thursday Lou needs to find a way to make Volchenkov vanish and get Gelinas in the lineup.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

So your saying there is not a trend of blowing multi-goal third period leads under Deboer? I don't think Marty played well last night, and it is exhibit A of why Schneider needs to get the majority of starts, but this is something that has been on going.

You go back to 2011-12 this happened constantly (even during the playoff run), they just usually came back to win and get the points anyways. But that type of luck is running out basically.

They aren't good defensively in their own zone. A lot of that is coaching.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
its been said before by me and others....but I will say it again.

I love Pete's system and I think its perfect for the team. However, I don't think Pete is a great evaluator of talent. And he is seemingly way too loyal.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The defensive collapse is the reason why we blew a 3 goal lead in about 10 minutes. Perron's goal came from Salvador's fantastic coverage off the faceoff and Hall's goal came from our two bonehead blueliners being on the same ****ing side of the ice.

Mistakes like that are seen at the junior level, not the NHL. We currently have two AHL blueliners working our 3rd pair and that will never get you anywhere when trying to compete for a Stanley Cup, let alone a playoff spot.

The good thing is that we have a NHL caliber blueliner just waiting for his # to be called and Lou will have to work his magic to land us the other, who to me, is a bus ride away and that's Gélinas.

A Gélinas-Fayne pairing would be light years better then a #28-Harrold pairing... and it wouldn't even be close either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->