Rumor: The Penguins to be an internal cap team?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Inside the Penguins’ collapse and the big changes still to come

I thought it was worthy of its own thread given the possible implications for the league as a whole. Pittsburgh is a pseudo big market, having spent to the cap consistently for over a decade. If they're looking to cut spending, how many below, or even above, may look to do the same under the circumstances? The squeeze on player contracts this Summer could be monstrous, if widespread.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see this being true, but I also just saw this:

And if the Penguins are trading for Max Domi (which I certainly believe is possible, based on JR trying to acquire him in the past), that kinda spits on the idea that they're going to be an internal cap team.

Reactions: belair

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

And if the Penguins are trading for Max Domi (which I certainly believe is possible, based on JR trying to acquire him in the past), that kinda spits on the idea that they're going to be an internal cap team.

I highly doubt the Pens are an internal cap team.

I could definitely see the Pens going after Domi. That would solve their 3C issue and they went after him before and offered up Rust in a deal to Phoenix for him.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Inside the Penguins’ collapse and the big changes still to come

I thought it was worthy of its own thread given the possible implications for the league as a whole. Pittsburgh is a pseudo big market, having spent to the cap consistently for over a decade. If they're looking to cut spending, how many below, or even above, may look to do the same under the circumstances? The squeeze on player contracts this Summer could be monstrous, if widespread.

I think a lot of teams will be in the same boat.
People only talking about capspace being scarce are missing how badly this pandemic is hitting the teams financially.

I fully expect my Avs to not spend to the cap and if anything even look at shedding some salary in the offseason despite them being a contender.
Kroenke is firing staff at Arsenal (and he is probably more invested in them as he is in the Avs). These owners don't like to lose money....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust
Poulin
POJ
Johnson
Murray

for

Domi (H)
Mete (R)
2nd

Who says no?

Penguins because that's horrendous for them. Good god.

Rust for Domi is pretty even, and I think Murray and Johnson for a 2nd is at least close. That leaves POJ and Poulin for Mete, which is just way too much.

Reactions: TNT87

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
"And Rutherford, who operated on a budget during his run in Carolina, is more familiar than anybody in the organization with building a contender without the deepest well of resources."
It was at this point, when everything proceeding it became irrelevant. Since Carolina became a budget team with him as the GM, they made a combined 0(zero) playoff appearances. He has no idea how to build a contender without spending to the cap.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I highly doubt the Pens are an internal cap team.

I could definitely see the Pens going after Domi. That would solve their 3C issue and they went after him before and offered up Rust in a deal to Phoenix for him.
Max Domi's going to be making like $6m+ on his next contract.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You're underestimating what it would take to get that Johnson contract off the books now that they're in a hurry to move $$.

Why would Montreal take murray when they have Price? they aren't moving Price, not at that cap hit

Play him as backup and get his value up, then move him and bring up Primeau permanently.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're underestimating what it would take to get that Johnson contract off the books now that they're in a hurry to move $$.

Play him as backup and get his value up, then move him and bring up Primeau permanently.

1. There's no proof that they're in "a hurry to move money".
2. They'd sooner just buy-out Johnson if his negative value is that high

He makes only $3.25 million on the cap and only $2.75 million in terms of real dollars in the last 3 years of his deal. His contract is not even remotely significant enough to sink that many futures to get out of it.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The only way to compete as an internal cap team is to keep ALL your picks and prospects, and then trade established players you can't afford to resign while they still have term left to get back more assets. You have to build through the draft.

The Pens have spent their picks and prospects for a decade in order to chase cups. Changing that philosophy now triggers the absolute end of the Crosby/Malkin Era. It will take 5 years of hoarding picks to rebuild back to respectability.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

A year ago Domi was untouchable. I hope Habs don't move him. This year, 2020 been a crazy season. Domi is better than this.

Reactions: Morrison

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Players with high cap hits and low salaries may become a premium commodity.

Yep. It’s why I’m pretty confident Kris Russell is easy to move this summer (4 million cap hit, but only owed 1.5).

You’ve got to assume there’s going to be lots of teams that have internal budgets for the next couple years. You’re going to see a lot more Melnyk’s (operate as a business that wants to make money) than Katz’s (operate as a passion, and don’t care about the money)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Murray is going to get 5.5 million on his next deal?

It was rumored he was looking for $7 million prior to this season. With his struggles, that's likely gone down. But at the same time he's going to want a raise (he's making $3.5 million I believe) and he's still got the whole 2-time Cup winner thing going for him, as well as his age.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It was rumored he was looking for $7 million prior to this season. With his struggles, that's likely gone down. But at the same time he's going to want a raise (he's making $3.5 million I believe) and he's still got the whole 2-time Cup winner thing going for him, as well as his age.

Well, that definitely rules Montreal out (not that I thought he was ever a realistic option for him anyways).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, that definitely rules Montreal out (not that I thought he was ever a realistic option for him anyways).

Yeah, Montreal doesn't make sense for Murray. It'll either be a team who needs a #1 and thinks Murray can rebound there, or a team that is looking at going with a tandem that splits the starts.

I don't think it makes sense for any team nor for Murray to go to a team where he'll be the backup.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The only way to compete as an internal cap team is to keep ALL your picks and prospects, and then trade established players you can't afford to resign while they still have term left to get back more assets. You have to build through the draft.

The Pens have spent their picks and prospects for a decade in order to chase cups. Changing that philosophy now triggers the absolute end of the Crosby/Malkin Era. It will take 5 years of hoarding picks to rebuild back to respectability.

Not true.

An internal cap team keeps their core 7 skaters and goalie and move secondary players for cheaper prospects and picks.

Thry won’t trade for rentals unless they felt they could seriously advance but this happens maybe 1 time every 4-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad