The Penguins once Crosby/Malkin leave

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Yes but remember how we were all shocked they picked Pouliot over Forsberg, and that wasn’t in hindsight.

We’ll probably tank and draft a couple of #1s again. At least we are good at that. The Oilers show it isn’t all that easy to do :).

I’m not worrying about it. 5-6 years is a long time.

I hear that.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Trading Malkin right now would be a pretty sweet move for the Penguins. He's off to a good start and had a 98 Point season last year. But Before that he had 5 seasons in a row where he never scored over 72 Points. Malkin doesn't have too much elite time left, but teams would be overpaying for him big time right now.

For example:
Malkin to Anaheim for Rickhard Rakell, Hampus Lindholm and a 2nd
Malkin to Arizona for Oliver Ekman-Larson and a 1st
Malkin to Boston for David Pastrnak and a 1st
Malkin to Buffalo for Sam Reinhart and Jeff Skinner
Malkin to Calgary for Sean Monahan, Sam Bennett and a 1st
Malkin to Carolina for Sebastian Aho, a 2nd and a 3rd
Malkin to Chicago for Artem Anisimov, Henri Jokiharju and a 1st
Malkin to Colorado for Tyson Barrie and Gabriel Landeskog
Malkin to Columbus for Artemi Panarin and a 1st
Malkin to Dallas for Alexander Radulov and Esa Lindell
Malkin to Detroit for Dylan Larkin and a 1st
Malkin to Edmonton for Jesse Puljujarvi, Adam Larson, Ty Rattie and a 1st
Malkin to Florida for Evgenii Dadonov, Mike Hoffman and Monika Caryk
Malkin to Los Angeles for Ilya Kovalchuk, Jake Muzzin and a 1st
Malkin to Minnesota for Matt Dumba, Mikael Granlund, a 2nd and a 3rd
Malkin to Montreal for Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Max Domi and 2 1st
Malkin to Nashville for Filip Forsberg, Ryan Ellis a 2nd and a 3rd
Malkin to New Jersey for Nico Hischier, Sami Vatanen and a 2nd
Malkin to New York for Mathew Barzal and a 1st
Malkin to New York for Mats Zuccarello, Jesper Fast, a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd
Malkin to Ottawa for the whole roster
Malkin to Philadelphia for Wayne Simmonds, Nolan Patrick and Jori Lehtera
Malkin to San Jose for Joe Thornton and a 1st
Malkin to St. Louis for David Perron and Brayden Schenn
Malkin to Tampa Bay for Steven Stamkos and a 1st
Malkin to Toronto for Morgan Rielly and William Nylander
Malkin to Vancouver for Elias Pettersson and a 1st
Malkin to Las Vegas for Marc-Andre Fleury and a 1st
Malkin to Washington for Nicklas Backstrom, Matt Niskanen and a 1st
Malkin to Winnipeg for Patrick Laine

Those are all some pretty sweet returns for Malkin and any of the 30 other teams would jump for a chance to get Malkin now.

I think trading Malkin is an interesting idea. Not sure it’s smart but it’s at least worth exploring the idea. He would command a good haul in return and I’m sure there would be scenarios where a few teams would be willing to pay a big price for one reason or another. Some of these are dreaming a little big though. Backstrom/Niskanen/1st lol.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bettman will hook 'em up again.

Ticket sales will tank without 87 & 71... they come back to rescue the team just like Lemieux did.... de ja vu.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I think trading Malkin is an interesting idea. Not sure it’s smart but it’s at least worth exploring the idea. He would command a good haul in return and I’m sure there would be scenarios where a few teams would be willing to pay a big price for one reason or another. Some of these are dreaming a little big though. Backstrom/Niskanen/1st lol.

I don’t see that happening as it’s not like we have pieces retiring at different times.

Malkin, Kessler, Crosby, Letang are all the same age. How do you rebuilt under those circumstances?

It all happens when 1-2 of those retire and then I see the others being shopped.

To entertain your idea...
You don’t think a team would give us decent future assets for a 36-37 year old 60 games / 55pt Malkin?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
After Malkin/Crosby?

Just be thankful Rutherford was able to win a couple Cups while torching the future. Its gonna be an ugly period once the decline starts in earnest.

Reactions: Roo Mad Bro

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
After Malkin/Crosby?

Just be thankful Rutherford was able to win a couple Cups while torching the future. Its gonna be an ugly period once the decline starts in earnest.

Its better to be atrociously bad for 5-6 years and to build a cup contender for the next decade right after.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Of no my team may stink for a while after winning numerous Cups, whatever shall I do?

Considering the Pens have been in all-in mode for more than a full decade at this point, it's a minor miracle they're more than a bubble playoff team at this point.

You've got Malkin and Crosby. You're never going to just be a bubble team really.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Side question - are the Pens the worst drafting and development org in the league? Their draft history is dark outside the top 5.

How many teams have hit homeruns outside the Top 5?

Keep in mind it's not even like the Pens have a bunch of Top 10 picks, either. Most of their picks during the Sid/Geno era have been late first picks. And that's in the years when they didn't trade away those picks to bolster the "now".

Also, whether or not their drafting has been great, I think there's no question they've done good at developing players. Look at their back to back Cup winners and see how many of their depth and complimentary guys were home grown.

IMO, a significant difference between the Pens and why the Oilers are where they are is because the Pens were able to develop players outside of Crosby and Malkin, while the Oilers are basically built entirely on their numerous 1st overall picks (or their 3rd overall in Draisaitl).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->