The Penguins' Jabronis Are Doing Major Damage

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Hey pens fans are any of these jabronis actually something good? Like another guentzel? Or is this just a nice little surprise?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hey pens fans are any of these jabronis actually something good? Like another guentzel? Or is this just a nice little surprise?

Too early to tell what they ultimately are. I don't believe they have the high-end skill Guentzel has, so I'd be shocked if any of the youngsters end up scoring 40 goals or 70+ points. But, can they be solid bottom six guys who can chip in some points and be reliable on the PK? The early returns say it looks like they have that potential.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Too early to tell what they ultimately are. I don't believe they have the high-end skill Guentzel has, so I'd be shocked if any of the youngsters end up scoring 40 goals or 70+ points. But, can they be solid bottom six guys who can chip in some points and be reliable on the PK? The early returns say it looks like they have that potential.
Im familiar with aston-reese a little, i liked his all round game. Chips in offensively and could end up a nice piece.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Guentzel is a 40 goals kind of guy now. Tough ask that any of the new ones get to that kind of level.
But this Lafferty kid looks really interesting, more so because he has the skating required to be something real.
Blueger should be a solid bottom6 C. Marino at least a good 3rd pairing D. The rest, much too early to say.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
People were shouting gloom and doom when Malkin and other starters went down due to injury, but in the last two games the Penguins have scored 14 goals and these are the stats of some of their depth players in those games:

Sam Lafferty: 3 goals, 2 assists

Aston-Reese: 2 goals, 2 assists

Adam Johnson: 1 goal, 1 assist

Dominik Simon: 1 goal

Speaking for the non-etymologist brigade of the foreign legion, what are jabronis? Something to eat?

And who are these people?

Earmarked for further follow-ups and I don't even do fantasy. That's how impressive it is. Bottom-6 arise!

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
Speaking for the non-etymologist brigade of the foreign legion, what are jabronis? Something to eat?

And who are these people?

Earmarked for further follow-ups and I don't even do fantasy. That's how impressive it is. Bottom-6 arise!

jabroni
[jəˈbrōnē]
NOUN
US
informal
jabronis (plural noun)
  1. a foolish or contemptible person.
    "get it together, you jabronis"
ORIGIN
early 20th century (as jiboney): probably an alteration of Italian dialect giambone, literally ‘ham’.

It's a slang term, slightly offensive to someone you don't like, but mostly not offensive at all when used to describe your friends.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
jabroni
[jəˈbrōnē]
NOUN
US
informal
jabronis (plural noun)
ORIGIN
early 20th century (as jiboney): probably an alteration of Italian dialect giambone, literally ‘ham’.

It's a slang term, slightly offensive to someone you don't like, but mostly not offensive at all when used to describe your friends.
So, if I'm reading that right, calling say a pet pig a jabroni would be offensive to the Hamilton family, if not carefully explained we're friends, but not really to hungry people or them Perkele hipsters? Because it's ham originally?

Reactions: Dominance

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

They're probably closer to a Tom Kuhnhackl or Scott Wilson than a Conor Sheary or Jake Guentzel. That's me trying to temper my expectations though. Lafferty has that Bryan Rust thing going on, where everything goes in the net.

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
So, if I'm reading that right, calling say a pet pig a jabroni would be offensive to the Hamilton family, if not carefully explained we're friends, but not really to hungry people or them Perkele hipsters? Because it's ham originally?

:huh:

ummm yes, exactly that?

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
They're probably closer to a Tom Kuhnhackl or Scott Wilson than a Conor Sheary or Jake Guentzel.
That's probably true, but Lafferty and Marino make you wonder what could be. Oh, and damn are they fun to watch right now!

Reactions: BHD

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
They're probably closer to a Tom Kuhnhackl or Scott Wilson than a Conor Sheary or Jake Guentzel. That's me trying to temper my expectations though. Lafferty has that Bryan Rust thing going on, where everything goes in the net.
I've had hopes for Kuhnhackl. His father Erich was formidable at his time. Completely (and single-handedly) handed Finland its ass one memorable time.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Nah. Guenztel is a once in a decade kind of gem for a team.

Lafferty has always been a top guy on the radar for anyone who follows the Pens prospects, but he’s more of a potential good third pivot than anything.

Fortunately, that’s exactly what the Pens have been searching for.

Marino is showing promise as well.

With Marino’s skating/puck moving skills added to the mix, along with the speed of Lafferty, Adam Johnson and Tanev, they are just finally playing Sullivan’s system again.

Unfortunately, JR moved away from that a couple years ago because he wanted to get bigger and heavier.... worked out so well.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I've had hopes for Kuhnhackl. His father Erich was formidable at his time. Completely (and single-handedly) handed Finland its ass one memorable time.

Kuhnhackl was good when he first broke into the lineup in 2016. However, his game stagnated from that point on. I'm glad to see him thrive on the Island, though.

Reactions: Stubu

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
jabroni
[jəˈbrōnē]
NOUN
US
informal
jabronis (plural noun)
ORIGIN

Also popularized by The Rock at the turn of the century.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Schedule ramps up a bit this next week so we’ll see if they maintain, but certainly outperforming the post-Malkin injury expectations thus far.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Kuhnhackl was good when he first broke into the lineup in 2016. However, his game stagnated from that point on. I'm glad to see him thrive on the Island, though.
The legacy is "stronk" as they say. Islanders. [I have a soft spot because they housed Filppula. And recruited Komarov.]

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They have brought speed and tenacity to the team. Fun to watch.

What happens to all of that when Rust, Malkin, Galchenyuk and Bjudstadt come back? I'm seriously curious.

Also guys from the minors always come up guns blazing and then most of them fade, that's why they were in the minors.

Blandisi - 25
Lafferty - 24
Adam Johnson - 25

So they are not kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad