News Article: The Penguins hits leader is who?!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Now, I'm not a huge fan of Tim Benz, but This Article about the Penguins leader in hits is pretty interesting, and not really someone that most guys would have expected... What's even more interesting is the players named that he tops in hits!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
tumblr_n2jfa4e2XQ1sizpq5o3_500.gif

Reactions: tom_servo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
JBomb wrote that article and I’m actually not surprised it’s Jake. He initiates contact a lot on the forecheck vs some other players that go with stick in first.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
JBomb wrote that article and I’m actually not surprised it’s Jake. He initiates contact a lot on the forecheck vs some other players that go with stick in first.
Ah, was reading a Tim Benz article right before that and got them mixed up. Truth be told, I'm not huge on Bombulie either...

I've noticed that Jake has ramped up his physical game this season, especially earlier in the year when he was slotted into that 3C spot. I'm glad to see that he's starting to round out his game a bit now and is a bit more than just an scoring player now. If he can bulk up a bit without losing speed he could really be a lightning rod.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’d have guessed like Letang or Maatta. But Guentzel isn’t too surprising, he’s gritty and gets in on the forecheck.

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I was at that Panthers game and I looked at the scoreboard at the end of the 1st and hits were 12-0 panthers. I just shook my head it was the most biased hit clock I’d ever seen. It’s not a stat that can be taken at face value.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I was at that Panthers game and I looked at the scoreboard at the end of the 1st and hits were 12-0 panthers. I just shook my head it was the most biased hit clock I’d ever seen. It’s not a stat that can be taken at face value.
Oh, I agree, but I think in Guentzel's case it is pretty indicative of his increased physical play.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Guentzel hits are like gnats. Annoying, but predictable.

In other news, in an off topic interview done by Dan Potash a couple of weeks ago, he asked the players who they would let take a free swing at them, and resoundingly they picked Jake.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

In other news, in an off topic interview done by Dan Potash a couple of weeks ago, he asked the players who they would let take a free swing at them, and resoundingly they picked Jake.
I can't say I'm too surprised. I'd say it would have to be either him or Sheary. lol

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
IMO, it isn’t the AMOUNT of hits a team or a certain player has, it’s the effectiveness and the timing of them...

For example, a Sheary hit isn’t as effective as a Tom Wilson hit...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Before I opened the thread, I guessed Guentzel. Really not surprising at all. He's always finishing checks.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I'd choose Letang. He would miss and hit himself.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Hit totals is probably the most biased stat in the game.
Giveaways are right up there too. When Kunitz was playing over his last 2 years here, I would sometimes just isolate on him. Let's just say it wasn't unusual for him to have 5 in a period, and yet he wouldn't be credited with any for the entire game.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
IMO, it isn’t the AMOUNT of hits a team or a certain player has, it’s the effectiveness and the timing of them...

For example, a Sheary hit isn’t as effective as a Tom Wilson hit...

It is if he gets the puck back more (I have no idea if he does or not though).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm pretty concerned about the physical component to the team or lack thereof. Without Cole, no Kunitz and no ZAR currently we're really in a bind IMO. You need guys like that who can bang bodies and be physical either on the forecheck or in the defensive zone ala Cole. We're a pretty meek team from top to bottom and losing that many hard nosed players may prove problematic when it matters most.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
It is if he gets the puck back more (I have no idea if he does or not though).
True, but I think there is a difference between winning a puck battle, separating the man from the puck, and laying a big, game changing hit.

I’m thrilled that Jake is taking the body more, don’t get me wrong...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad