The Penguins have a realistic chance to win the Presidents Trophy

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
The Penguins (88 pts, 67 GP) are only 3 points back of the New York Rangers (91 pts, 66 GP) for the best record in the NHL. This is a particularly unusual year with a third of the league (10 teams) within 6 points of the lead.

Honestly, I'm surprised. How are we in this position? It seems like this year has been more tumultuous than most, with long periods of us lookin great, only to go on a 6 game skid, and then return to form. Throw in the fact that Crosby/Malkin are having the worst statistical seasons of their careers, and it seems like we shouldn't be in the position we are.

The regular season means nothing to the fanbase, but it'd be ironic if THIS was the year the Penguins finished tops in the league.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Premature thread. Now if we manage to win against the Bruins AND the Wings this weekend, then I could see a thread like this being relevant. Our schedule is quite favourable after these two difficult games.

Also, are the Rangers gonna lose a game, ever? Because if they keep on winning, then there is no point in this conversation.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What are we a certain other fanbase in our division now? Let's start bragging when we actually win something.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
NYR winning the presidents trophy would be perfect.

I'd like to see how NYR would handle being the favorites with huge expectations in a crazy media market like New York.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd like being first if it means that we had Ottawa in the play-offs. Or Florida. But it will likely be Boston and you know how we do against them.

Frankie Carbone

Mar 13, 2015
The Buckeye State
NYR winning the presidents trophy would be perfect.

I'd like to see how NYR would handle being the favorites with huge expectations in a crazy media market like New York.

At least historically they have won the President's Trophy twice. 1992 (lost in the 2nd round to the Pens) and 1994 (won the Stanley Cup). With that said Alain Vigneault is a good coach, so unlike Bylsma for instance, they will be prepared.

As for the Pens they absolutely have a shot, but right now I would be happy with 1st or 2nd in the division and home ice in the first round.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
In general i think there is a lot more parity in the league than in years past. Lots of pretty good teams, no truly great ones. Same with the Art Ross race.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wasn't there a thread on the main board a little over a week ago made by a Pen's fan saying how the Pens were going to miss the playoffs?

Just sayin'.

Eleven of the final fifteen games are against crappy teams who are out of the playoffs. Whatever the Pens do I wouldn't get too excited about it.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I feel like the Pens look like a pile of dog **** most of the time I watch, which isn't every game.. I've been pleasantly surprised every time I've looked at the standings. The talent is there, but it seems like only every 4-5 games (that I see) does this team look legitimate.

Good, though. The team is talented enough to win the Cup. I don't think they will.. but the pieces are there, especially if MAF keeps playing well.

I'm not too concerned about the President's trophy. Just surprised we're even in the race, to be honest.

ThatGuy

Dec 21, 2006
Wasn't there a thread on the main board a little over a week ago made by a Pen's fan saying how the Pens were going to miss the playoffs?

Just sayin'.

Eleven of the final fifteen games are against crappy teams who are out of the playoffs. Whatever the Pens do I wouldn't get too excited about it.

every year we lose a couple pens fans who jump off a bridge because of a couple losses

rip

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
every year we lose a couple pens fans who jump off a bridge because of a couple losses

rip
Maybe these 'fans' just need a little pat on their backs...
th_penguins.gif

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I feel like the Pens look like a pile of dog **** most of the time I watch, which isn't every game.. I've been pleasantly surprised every time I've looked at the standings. The talent is there, but it seems like only every 4-5 games (that I see) does this team look legitimate.

Good, though. The team is talented enough to win the Cup. I don't think they will.. but the pieces are there, especially if MAF keeps playing well.

I'm not too concerned about the President's trophy. Just surprised we're even in the race, to be honest.

I think it suggests that it won't take a stacked team to win the Cup this year. We have familiarity bias with the flaws on this team, but other top teams suffer a similar thing.

A President's trophy could be within reach, but it would be the least impressive as any that I can recall given a certain narrow margin of victory, and the opponents in our division that will only take it as added incentive to send us home in five.

Beating some of our nemeses to finish the season will feel like a President's trophy for each victory.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will say this.

There really are no dominant shoe in teams in the NHL today. Yes, some teams, the Pens among them by the way, have decent records and will go north of 100 points. And there are teams who look a slight bit more solid than the Pens and a tier above. But there is not a team out there that would shock me to go out in the first round.

I suppose you can hang some hope on that. The proverbial grading on the curve thing. Yes, this team is dog ****, but honestly is the cow **** that some of the other teams are that much better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad