LeBrun: The Penguins are trying to move Alex Galchenyuk

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'll ask for the 5th time. Please name the last time a rental winger in Galchenyuk's shoes has to be traded with a sweetener to move him. Please. A single example.

I imagine it's a very similar time as a D like Ceci.
"no favours... rabble rabble... it's a business. rabble"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's not a good comparison. The "favor" in that deal was Zaitsev and his multiple years left on his contract, and the sweetener was Connor Brown.

No sweeteners were added to Ceci to entice Toronto to take the pending UFA.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I see no reason to think that Ceci has negative value, either. At worst, a team that wants D depth at the deadline and has the cap space would pay a 3rd-5th for Ceci.

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
That's not a good comparison. The "favor" in that deal was Zaitsev and his multiple years left on his contract, and the sweetener was Connor Brown.

No sweeteners were added to Ceci to entice Toronto to take the pending UFA.

The comparison is as of today, not back then. Neither should have negative value.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Maybe cause not everyone meshes with geno and sid. Horny doesn't play with them very might right now and he is anything but garbage. Chucky is still on pace for almost 40pts. He is an NHL player and can be very useful in the right situation.

Galchenyuk not meshing with linemates has been a problem for years now. This guy has the hockey IQ of a flat tire.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The comparison is as of today, not back then. Neither should have negative value.

And neither likely does. Pending UFAs who have proven to be even halfway decent NHLers are easily moved, even if the return is paltry (ie. mid to late round pick/c-level prospect). The idea that a team would have to sweeten the pot just to have that UFA taken off their hands is silly.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
A lot of classic HF stupidity here... JR was able to Rob Freaking Scuderi for Daley without adding like 19 1st round picks like people LOVE to frame things here. AG is a bad fit for the Pens, but he is NOWHERE near as horrible & useless as Scuderi... Hell even Lucic was moved for Neal. Some of you people are absolutely ridiculous.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think the best the Pens can hope for is a struggling player in return.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Good luck to you. No one is taking him on without a sweetner.

The Pens will have ~8 million capspace to play around with at the trade deadline, so why would the Pens pay someone to take UFA Chucky? Certainly not for capspace

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd still like to see an example of a comparable rental winger to Galchenyuk bringing back negative value from the crowd who thinks he's a negative value cap dump. If it was so obvious that he was a cap dump with negative value, you should be able to provide examples of 35 point offense only rental wingers bringing back negative value.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Malkin has been stapled to that half wall his entire career. Neal either played the high slot or the down low bumper. I even found an article about it.

https://thehockeywriters.com/crosby-malkin-penguins-powerplay/

First off Malkin has played the point a ton over this career, so no he is not staple to that half wall. In fact the past four years it was crosby on one half wall and phil on the other. So you already wrong there.

And I was talking about even strength. He had set plays and Neal scored a lot from one timers over there. On the power play Neal mainly scored from the high slot the majority of the time. Which was him floating above the circles not out muscling guys in front of the net. So I will agree he was in the high slot but kunitz was down low or infront of the net.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
First off Malkin has played the point a ton over this career, so no he is not staple to that half wall. In fact the past four years it was crosby on one half wall and phil on the other. So you already wrong there.
Malkin and Crosby generally shuffle and swap positions regularly throughout a pp sure. Doesn’t change anything in relation to any of my points.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
So that means he’s almost as good as Crosby right?

No I also don’t think Galchenyuk is a great player but I just don’t think he’s as bad as some people seem to want to make him out to be.

I would call him a floater in hockey terms - he has the IQ and skills and doesn’t put enough work in

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
No I also don’t think Galchenyuk is a great player but I just don’t think he’s as bad as some people seem to want to make him out to be.

I would call him a floater in hockey terms - he has the IQ and skills and doesn’t put enough work in
He doesn’t have the IQ, don’t you remember he constantly tries to dangle himself out of situations and it rarely works. He has a great shot, that’s it. Not an NHL caliber player, time to go to Russia for him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Malkin and Crosby generally shuffle and swap positions regularly throughout a pp sure. Doesn’t change anything in relation to any of my points.

Your point seems to be that Neal scores only by tips and tap ins around the net, thus Galchenyuk not being able to do that kind of thing if he was on the Oilers. That's wrong. A significant amount of Neal's goals as a Pen were from the slot area.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
He doesn’t have the IQ, don’t you remember he constantly tries to dangle himself out of situations and it rarely works. He has a great shot, that’s it. Not an NHL caliber player, time to go to Russia for him.

Galchenyuk has his flaws for sure but the guy has pretty much constantly been above 0.50 PPG in his career. How is that not NHL quality? He's one-dimensional but there are loads of players with similar traits in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad