The Patrik Koyš Hype Thread

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I do realize that this is super extra early, but this kid has had a great start to the season with MHK Dubnica´s U18 team to the Extraliga U18 season (8 points in 8 games) despiting still being only 13 (born 24.10.1995) and as an addition has even been named the captain for Dubnica U18 recently. So I thought it might be nice to have a thread on him and I tried to collect all the info available.

Stats:
2006/2007 SVK U15 29GP 28G 32A 60PTS +67 16PIM
2007/2008 SVK U15 not available *
SVK U14 23GP 34G 29A 63PTS +55 4PIM
2008/2009 SVK-1 U18 8GP 5G 7A 12PTS +16 2PIM
SVK U15 39GP 56G 66A 122PTS +129
2009/2010 SVK U18 Extraliga 8GP 5G 3A 8PTS +4 0PIM

He´s also been mentioned in an interview with Dubnica´s U18 coach Robert Halaber at webhokej24.sk
The scoring leader of the U15 league was Patrik Koyš (1995,36GP,56G+66A=122PTS), the youngest between the top 50 players.
"Patrik is an intelligent, and really very talented young player with great skating abilities, his play is a play with an idea. From my POV he´s an another Tatar."

What is awaiting him, so that this words would come true?
"The most important thing is for him to realize that it won´t work without hard work. He has to realize that there is huge potencial, huge talent in him and if he´ll be healthy, I´m convinced that he´ll be a great hockey player one day.

The most important thing is to give a chance to such boys.
"I brought him to the U18 team from the 7th grade (U13), this change was unique in this age category. The jump to the U18 league is the hardest jump in the life of a hockey player. Often there are still frail boys who get into a category with guys a lot older and more physically disposed players."

And what place did you give him in the team?
" It makes no sense to bring such a player into the U18 league and to give him 3rd-4th line duties. He played on the first line, because I´m convinced that a good-class player even though younger has to play with the best that can help him the most."

Patrik has also represented Central Slovakia at various tournaments, for example the U13 tourney in FLIMS in autumn 2007 and at the Grischun Cup in Zilina in April 2008 where he recorded 16 points for 11 goals and 5 assists in 6 games. At the 95 World Selects Invitational where a Team Slovakia West played, he played for a Canadian team ESC Quebec and he recorded 9 PTS (5G,4A) in 7 games.

As I already said, I do realize it´s super early, but Koys has a chance to become the next top player to come out of
Slovakia.:yo::yo:

*I can´t seem to open the site with those stats at the szlh website.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
hell no.

Kyos is 13/14 and is already 5'9'' and 154 lbs. Tatar is a hobbit.

Well, what Kalaber wanted to say is that he is the next talented kid to come out of Dubnica and Tatar was the last one to grow up there thus the comparison. I really don´t think he wanted to compare them as players.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
hell no.

Kyos is 13/14 and is already 5'9'' and 154 lbs. Tatar is a hobbit.

Marek Svatos is also a hobbit, and last night I was there in person when he skated through the billion dollar Brian Burke defence like it was butter.

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
It's truly early but at least we finally have a prospect we can track and hype the same way the Canadians,Russians,Finns and Swedes do with their young prospects.

:yo:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It's truly early but at least we finally have a prospect we can track and hype the same way the Canadians,Russians,Finns and Swedes do with their young prospects.

Ha Ha, finally someone noticed where I stole the whole "hype thread" idea.:laugh: Koyš had an another point today btw, an assist in Dubnica´s U18 2:5 loss to Košice.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Interview

patrik%20koys_resize.jpg

You´re by far the youngest player in the U-18 Extraliga.
"There´s an another 95 born player, Paulovič in Topolčany!"

You´ve just returned from an U-15 game, in which you have defeated Banská Bystrica 8:4, where you guys scored 7 goals, the same amount that BB had let in in all their othe rgames in the season. In Dubnica, 30 minutes was enough for you to score the same amount.
"The U-18 league is on break, so we went to help the guys in the U-15 league. There also are very good players there and I´m always glad to return there. It´s easier to play in a lower category, but there also are players here, who are already playing U-18 style game."

What´s the difference between U-15 and U-18 hockey? You ve been avergaing a point per game so far.
"In the U-18 Extraleague there is, of course faster and more physical hockey played, so it´s harder for me to break through now in the U-18 league than it was last season."

When did you start playing hockey?

"When I was three years old. My dad worked at the stadium, he had been playing hockey for long years, so he didn´t hesitate with the decision to take me on the ice for too long. It´s also thanks to him that I´m where I am now."

You were coached by more coaches.
"I was coached by Otto Bača, Vladimír Havlíček, Miroslav Nemeček and now in the U-18 category by Róbert Kaláber."

It sure is hard to say which of the coaches do you remember as a coach with a capital C.

"Well, definitely Miroslav Nemeček and now Róbert Kaláber."

Can you remember your first hockey match?
"Well, I don´t think so. Wait, I´m gonna ask my dad! (And dad did remember. It was when Patrik was 5 years old in a two years older category!)

Were you a natural scorer from the start?
"I must have had at leats some talent, I was scoring from the start."

Last season, you were national champions in the U-15 category. It seems that you were lucky to meet a good birth year or two.
"Definitely, there is more very good players here and we were doing good together. More of us have been playing in an upper category, we met again in the U-15 finals and so we and our coaches were rewarded for common hard work."

You crtainly have a lot of prizes from tournaments at home. Which´s the most important for you?
"It´s tough to say, I have to think about it, I was happy about every one at the point I´ve gotten it alike. Besides, prizes are given out to individuals for goasl and assists. An indvidual however isn´t important, one person can´t manage anything alone, even if they´re the best. The important thing is that my whole team does good, thanks to me as well."

You have a few interesting foreign names on your roster as well.
"Yes, we have skilfull boys from Croatia here. Mislav Rosandič was the first to come here, he liked it in a preparation camp here and he brought others here, this year even his brother!"

Have you tried any other jersey than the Dubnica one, some national team jersey?

"Not yet, I´ve only played in the regional selects teams. My age category doesn´t have a national tea, yet. I´ll have a chance to break through to the youngets one this year."

A 13-year old in an U-18 league is a rarity. It´s not just a differenc ein age in 5 years, but in many cases also in a few tens of kilograms or centimeters, if we don´t think about the difference in playing experience. What about your parameters.
"I´ve got them quite good for my age. 174 cm and 70 kg. It would be real tough in the U-18 league otherwise."

How do you cope with the games physically.

"I think that quite good. Coah Kaláber as prepared real hard summer conditioning for us, so I´ve got something to base on."

"What´s your relationship towards the summer training, that many players hate?"

Not everybody likes it, that´s clear. Hard summer training hurts a lot, but if it is hard, then it´s 100% advisable and it just doesn t work without it."

Source: www.webhokej24.sk

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
I am beginning to like this kid. It will take a few years to actually see him on TV but if he keeps on the right track he will get there for sure. He is already as tall as I am and he will keep growing. Let's hope he stays clear of injuries too.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yup he´s prety huge for a 13 year old and weighs almost as much as Tatar did when he started the season fr Zvlen last year, lol :laugh:

He had two points for a goal and an assist for Dubnica today, his stats in the U18 league so far:
11GP 7G 5A 12PTS 4PIM +5

Leads his team in scoring:yo::yo:

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
He picked up another goal and assist against Liptovsky Mikulas, makes it total of 15 points in 13 games.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
He picked up another goal and assist against Liptovsky Mikulas, makes it total of 15 points in 13 games.

Nice.:handclap:

Talking, about other 1995 talent, MHC Martin´s Tomáš Torok, who had a real slow start to the U18 season seems to be back on track now as he has 4points (1+3) in last 3 games. Another 2 interesting 95 born players (currently playing in U18 1.liga) to look out for might be Czeh born Martin Reway (who despite being Czech, is Koys´s and Torok´s teammate in the 95 Central Slovakia team) has 33pts (19+14) in 11 games for Dolný Kubín U18 and Ružinov´s Róbert Varga, who has 31pts (15+16) in 13 games.

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
Nice.:handclap:

Talking, about other 1995 talent, MHC Martin´s Tomáš Torok, who had a real slow start to the U18 season seems to be back on track now as he has 4points (1+3) in last 3 games. Another 2 interesting 95 born players (currently playing in U18 1.liga) to look out for might be Czeh born Martin Reway (who despite being Czech, is Koys´s and Torok´s teammate in the 95 Central Slovakia team) has 33pts (19+14) in 11 games for Dolný Kubín U18 and Ružinov´s Róbert Varga, who has 31pts (15+16) in 13 games.

It's hard to tell how good the kids are based on stats, especially in the U18 1st liga but at least we know which ones should we track. Hopefully, I will get to see a game by Koys soon.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It's hard to tell how good the kids are based on stats, especially in the U18 1st liga but at least we know which ones should we track. Hopefully, I will get to see a game by Koys soon.

Yup, I know it´s just stats, but the Central Slovakia trio has been top notch at the international level for the 95 team as well, although once again it´s just stats. As for Varga, if I remember it right, he was ranked 2nd in 95 borns scoring in the U15 league after Koys last year. But yeah, it´s just stats and they all are very very young, so we´ll see in a few years, hopefully everything goes right for them, we would really need it...

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

Correct!

This is the kind of player we need to put Slovak hockey back on the map.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I'm just wondering don't you what his average time on ice is compared to players ahead of him in the scoring race?

Well, as of today that isn´t that many of them that would be ahead of him, I don´t know anything for sure, but I would say most probably equal as Dubnica´s coach Kaláber has said that Koyš would be getting top line ice-time. And btw 9 of the guys who are infront of him are 1992 borns, so they are 3 or even more older considering his late birthday.:)
Disappointed he isn´t with the U16 games against Russia, hopefully he´ll be involved in the December tournament.:(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad