The Panarin Situation, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Panarin is a good guy but I dont see him play with his heart.

Maybe his logic goes something like: "I have proven myself, Im guaranteed a juicy $70m+ contract; in July I will choose where to play and why should I give my very best and possibly extend the season right now while my holiday can start in just 5 weeks...?".

I know its an assumption and I hope Im wrong, but its possible that Im right
As humans we project our feeling onto someone else. It's a natural reaction to a challenging situation. We have no idea what another person's logic is, what their feelings are.... Assumptions are meaningless, my friend.

Don't be shocked if Bread resigns with you after all. He'll get sales pitches from Vancouver, NYR, NYR, Florida and the Flyers. Chicago and Tampa may end up in the mix if some contracts are dumped at the draft. But if Columbus ends up offering NMC, most money and term, who knows? It's clear to the management that Duchene is not replacement. Don't give up just yet.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
As humans we project our feeling onto someone else. It's a natural reaction to a challenging situation. We have no idea what another person's logic is, what their feelings are.... Assumptions are meaningless, my friend.

Don't be shocked if Bread resigns with you after all. He'll get sales pitches from Vancouver, NYR, NYR, Florida and the Flyers. Chicago and Tampa may end up in the mix if some contracts are dumped at the draft. But if Columbus ends up offering NMC, most money and term, who knows? It's clear to the management that Duchene is not replacement. Don't give up just yet.

I knew someone was going to say it was a projection and its fine. However it wasn't.

I simply dont see him play with his heart, thats all. Neither do I see passion for the game in his interviews.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But if Columbus ends up offering NMC, most money and term, who knows?

I think they probably already made him a giant offer, maybe as high as $11.5m x 8 years, full NMC, money up front in bonuses. A month ago Milstein and Panarin communicated their decision to the FO, and then there was a moment where Milstein had to call Panarin back again because of new information. I think it's likely that the club just put out a monster offer at that moment, but Artemi said no anyways.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Too bad the price for a test drive of Duchene was a first round pick.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Duchene has never been a star in this league. Perhaps he hasn't been in a perfect position to break through. But not everyone gets perfect; sometimes you just have to bust your a**. Duchene is a good complementary piece and a solid 1b center. Definitely a guy who can help a good team win. I think this was the expectation, and maybe a hope that he may bust out and become elite. Here is the crazy thing. He's going to get 8.5 m / 7 yrs somewhere. And I find this price tag absurd.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Duchene has never been a star in this league. Perhaps he hasn't been in a perfect position to break through. But not everyone gets perfect; sometimes you just have to bust your a**. Duchene is a good complementary piece and a solid 1b center. Definitely a guy who can help a good team win. I think this was the expectation, and maybe a hope that he may bust out and become elite. Here is the crazy thing. He's going to get 8.5 m / 7 yrs somewhere. And I find this price tag absurd.

Yes, solid 1b center.

It wouldn't surprise me if he'll get paid in that neighborhood. It looks pretty much the same as the Johansen contract, similar performance too. It's certainly not a good value, it's something you only do if that's the one piece you need.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I had a question for anybody. The Jackets don't make the playoffs and are thrown into the lottery and they win one of the top three spots. The Duchene trade was conditional on that possibility, so what happens now? We get to keep our first this year. What does Ottawa get in return?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I had a question for anybody. The Jackets don't make the playoffs and are thrown into the lottery and they win one of the top three spots. The Duchene trade was conditional on that possibility, so what happens now? We get to keep our first this year. What does Ottawa get in return?

First next year, regardless of if he signs. If he signs, they would also get a pick the next year

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Here's a question that deserves consideration

Is Panarin playing to avoid injury?

He's going to bank minimum (conservative guess) 70 million with an 8 year deal, an injury, esp.
if serious could cost him his biggest contract ever

I said during a GDT he had checked out ~3 weeks ago, long before the trade deadline

I just do not and have not seen the real Panarin for a long time now, so long
I forget what he really is capable of

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

He's going to bank minimum (conservative guess) 70 million with an 8 year deal, an injury, esp.

I said during a GDT he had checked out ~3 weeks ago, long before the trade deadline

He won’t be allowed to get an 8 year deal from anyone since he insists on being a free agent. It’s still a hell of a lot of money though. He doesn’t care about winning cups so it’s feasible.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Guys that aren't playing hard are more likely to get hurt than guys playing hard. So if that is what's he s doing he's getting terrible advice.
If he wants to avoid getting hurt then he should just claim he has a migraine. or just tell Torts he has the shits again :)

Reactions: akmuo33

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

I have been accused of projecting and making a horrible assumption when speculating about Bread.

Its like his heart isnt there anymore I agree.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
If his heart isn't there anymore is it because:
  1. expected to be somewhere else but isn't ?
  2. isn't happy with the incoming players - would have rather played out the season with the team before trade deadline ?
  3. isn't happy with the incoming players - not enough/too little/bad chemistry and/or poor performance ?
  4. reality if we even make playoffs we'll get crushed by Tampa ?
  5. all of the above ?
  6. other ?
  7. aliens ...

Reactions: logan etherton

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
  2. isn't happy with the incoming players - would have rather played out the season with the team before trade deadline ?
  3. isn't happy with the incoming players - not enough/too little/bad chemistry and/or poor performance ?
  5. all of the above ?
  6. other ?
  7. aliens ...

It isn't 4 or 5, I feel confident in saying. The rest, up for grabs.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
  5. all of the above ?
  6. other ?
  7. aliens ...
It’s always aliens.

Reactions: Madifer and Viqsi

logan etherton

Mar 9, 2019
  5. all of the above ?
  6. other ?
  7. aliens ...
I'd add that the option of an 8 year deal with another team has been taken away from him and that probably didn't make him too happy.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I'd add that the option of an 8 year deal with another team has been taken away from him and that probably didn't make him too happy.
But didn't he say he didn't want to get traded and wanted to finish the season with Columbus? Or was that said to the public so he wouldn't look like the bad guy but privately Panarin or his agent asked for a trade?

logan etherton

Mar 9, 2019
But didn't he say he didn't want to get traded and wanted to finish the season with Columbus? Or was that said to the public so he wouldn't look like the bad guy but privately Panarin or his agent asked for a trade?
I might have missed that statement. But like you said it could have been a PR move.

I'm with The Athletic's Tom Reed on the Panarin and Bobrovsky situations. He believes that they should have been both moved over the summer. The front office might be all in but Im not so sure about Panarin at this point.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
In my mind there is no doubt he is checked out. It’s been apparent in his play,but what was revealing to me was his sheepish reaction when he scored the shootout game winner vs NJ. That was not the exuberant celebration we’ve seen in the past.

I would add that it has sabotaged the effort Jarmo made at the trade deadline. Also I’m sure that his teammates have noticed and I wonder if it has impacted the locker room(?)

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
In my mind there is no doubt he is checked out. It’s been apparent in his play,but what was revealing to me was his sheepish reaction when he scored the shootout game winner vs NJ. That was not the exuberant celebration we’ve seen in the past.

I would add that it has sabotaged the effort Jarmo made at the trade deadline. Also I’m sure that his teammates have noticed and I wonder if it has impacted the locker room(?)

Mostly agree. I have some hope though that if we get into the playoffs, he may turn it on again.

But we obviously have to get there.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I really don't understand where this "he's checked out" thing is coming from. I disagreed with it from Bob too, but at least there was actually an incident that could cause debate there.

Panarin had like 10 shot attempts last game. He's firing the puck and trying to be creative. PLD has been pretty dismal since Duchene has been here, and he's the centerman on the line. The chemistry between the three players on the top line has grown stale and I think its been frustrating for them. Panarin hasn't been as dynamic this year as he was last year, whether thats because he's saving himself for next year or if he's just not performing as well, IDK, but I don't see a "checked out" player. I think he's just frustrated like everyone else. (And I think this "checked out" mindset is here because we're losing and he's slumping.)

Reactions: Madifer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->