The Pacific has looked like bird shit (so far)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Seriously, it's been an awful start for the pacific. 5 out of 8 teams below 500, and the 3 divisional teams are Anaheim, Calgary, and Vancouver. Two of those three look prime for regression (Vancouver because they always start good but their depth and defensive is awful, and Anaheim because a 39% CF, a goalie with a 945 SV%, and a PDO of 104.6 is definitely a sustainable strategy for long term success), and the flames goalie situation is held together by a mike smith who's groin is hanging on by a thread.

I think San Jose will probably pull out of their slump, but just above every other team I didn't mention has huge question marks (LA is old af and lost Quick long-term, everyone is mimicking the Vegas system and this team already looked like it was primed for some regression, Edmonton has poor forward depth, sketchy goaltending, and a battered defense, while Arizona can't score for shit).

It's early, but this division looks weak this year; seriously, I am surprised by just how terrible it's looked so far. I'd assume the teams with the least number of flaws could steal divisional spots just for not totally sucking, but I have no doubt we aren't stealing a wildcard spot from the central.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sk8M8

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
after 5 or 6 games we get this thread? the knee jerk reactions here are getting out of hand

I say in Jan or Feb when things are far more known--we bump these kinds of threads and mock the comments in them

Reactions: Mez

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Mike Smith is becoming underrated all of a sudden. I do agree that the Flames need help at the position, though. We should still make the playoffs in this division, I hope

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eh, Minnesota is 1-2-2, St. Louis is 1-2-2, and Winnipeg and Dallas haven't looked great so far either. Also have my doubts that Chicago can sustain their success.

The West as a whole looks mediocre this year. Most of the elite teams are in the East now: Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto...

The West has maybe 2 true elite teams: Winnipeg and Nashville.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
after 5 or 6 games we get this thread? the knee jerk reactions here are getting out of hand

I say in Jan or Feb when things are far more known--we bump these kinds of threads and mock the comments in them

That's why I said so far. But looking at the teams, I wouldn't be surprised to see a team squeeze in just because the rest of the division sucks (honestly, I'm start to bet on Edmonton over Vegas for 3rd).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Pacific is either old over the hill teams or rebuilding teams. I think Calgary will win that division this year. They seem like the only team capable of contending (so far) in that division.

Yes, I know Anaheim leads that division but have you seen them play so far?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
There are shit coaches in the Pacific division.

Tocchet should've been fired after that shit start last season, he's clearly not NHL level, Carlyle is mediocre old-fashioned and past-it, Stevens should only have been used as a caretaker coach...he's an assistant, Bill Peters is not an NHL level coach, McLellan is mediocre and has a poorly constructed team, and jury's out on Travis Green who might actually be competent but it's a rebuilding team.

So it's basically just SJ and Vegas who have competent enough rosters and good enough coaching.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You realize the ducks have missed perry getzlaf kesler kase eaves Ritchie Silfverberg thus far in a game

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Or human ****?

It depends on the human. My ****, for example, is magnificent and doesn't stink.

On a serious note, I can't speak for the other teams, but I'm expecting the Kings to trend downward.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Hot take alert.

Anyone watching Anaheim knows that save for the St. Louis game they've played like hot garbage.

In any event, I've lost count over how many low sample size threads we've had.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Pacific is either old over the hill teams or rebuilding teams. I think Calgary will win that division this year. They seem like the only team capable of contending (so far) in that division.

Yes, I know Anaheim leads that division but have you seen them play so far?

Can't see it with the goaltending. The flames probably have the best or second best built roster right now outside of that position in the pacific, but we are really weak in net.

And seriously, 104.6 PDO. If there is any team with more red flags than Anaheim, please raise your hand and tell me how that is possible. Either Jon Gibson will be the best goalie of this millennium this year, or Anaheim is falling to pieces really soon.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Way too early... but if the pacific had more bottom teams than other divisions it shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You realize the ducks have missed perry getzlaf kesler kase eaves Ritchie Silfverberg thus far in a game

Perry is out for the next 4 months and is on the downswing, and same can be said for kesler. That entire forward group is getting old, and it's really start to show.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Why bird ****? Not dog ****? Not pig ****?

Or human ****?

San Jose is close enough to San Francisco to make this relevant.

It depends on the human. My ****, for example, is magnificent and doesn't stink.

On a serious note, I can't speak for the other teams, but I'm expecting the Kings to trend downward.

It's fitting because...

Pacific division > Pacific Ocean > Seagulls > Bird ****

Because the NHL is mostly white guys.

You people are really reading too much into this XD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad