The Outer Worlds - Obsidian (2019 - PC, XB1, PS4)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m pretty pumped on this game. New Vegas is my all time favourite and everything I’ve seen on this looks promising. Plus it comes out on my birthday which means happy birthday to me (usually I’m cheap and I’ll wait a few months to buy games).

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Getting some really nice reviews. Lots of 7-8-9 of 10, 4/5 etc. Believe it's launching on Gamepass as well, so super excited to check this out.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
very excited for this one. been needing to scratch my RPG itch

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
very excited for this one. been needing to scratch my RPG itch
There are a few top RPGs coming out in early 2020. I'm holding off till then, I can see this game being a bust IMO and I don't want it to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
There are a few top RPGs coming out in early 2020. I'm holding off till then, I can see this game being a bust IMO and I don't want it to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I was still a little skeptical but the reviews today have been very good

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Hard to say what to expect out of this game now that Avellone left Obsidian. I haven't played them a lot but I've read that the last few Obsidian games have had mediocre writing.

I don't really expect much on that front from Cyberpunk 2077 (CDPR don't have a great track record for RPGs, Witcher II was decent at best and Witcher III wasn't really a RPG). I really hoping Vampire Masquarade Bloodlines II is the game I think it will be.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm pretty excited to try this one out.

I get the distinct impression that the hardcore RPG fans among us may be disappointed. It looks to be a fun, humourous "fluff" sort of RPG. For me, personally, that sounds like a nice change of pace.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Take of the day - Witcher 3 wasn't really an RPG lol...

OK now back to these good scores.
well, you clearly roleplay in it, just as an existing character (geralt).

Anyways, damn the graphics are really impressive, puts fallout 76 and the billion dollar corporation behind it to shame.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Take of the day - Witcher 3 wasn't really an RPG lol...

OK now back to these good scores.

You don't get to role play much in Witcher 3: your decisions don't really affect the plot much. There's a lot more of it in the second one. The third was too big to also be a full RPG.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
You don't get to role play much in Witcher 3: your decisions don't really affect the plot much. There's a lot more of it in the second one. The third was too big to also be a full RPG.
Witcher 3 was an RPG. Every single gaming outlet would agree with me. There's skills, builds, dialogue options, multiple endings, leveling up, etc.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
In what way do your decisions not affect the outcome? I literally can't think of a quest or questline in the witcher 3 where your decisions don't affect the outcome.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
In what way do your decisions not affect the outcome? I literally can't think of a quest or questline in the witcher 3 where your decisions don't affect the outcome.

I said "your decisions don't affect the plot much".

I also said Witcher 3 wasn't much of an RPG, I didn't say it has no RPG elements.

Usually, in an RPG, your decisions affect how the plot unfolds. This is not the case in Witcher 3. Your decisions are limited in scope: most of your decisions come down to who you side with. You can't befriend a character in one playthrough and then kill them instead in another playthrough to see how that character dying changes things.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You can't befriend a character in one playthrough and then kill them instead in another playthrough to see how that character dying changes things.
You can do that though, you can kill or side with quite a few characters.

But you're right, it doesn't affect the actual plot (the main plot at least, outside of the final ending), however, by that definition, 90% or rpgs, dont qualify as RPGs. Its a ridiculously strict requirement to classify something as an rpg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad