The Outer Worlds - Obsidian (2019 - PC, XB1, PS4)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No mod support
No mod support doesn't mean there won't be mods for it though, it just means they won't be releasing tools to help with it or structure their game for easy mod integration. We'll just have to wait and see how mod friendly the game is and what is possible with it, as there are ways games can structure their files to make modding extremely difficult.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It does look dated, especially graphically. Then again, New Vegas looked dated in 2010, especially compared to Crysis, which came out 3 whole years earlier. RPGs typically don't get high marks for their graphics and, instead, live and die by their gameplay.

yeah I'm aware...you're talking to somebody who cut their teeth on character graphic SSI games in the 80s. :)

but in relative terms this looks considerably more dated now than New Vegas did back then.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Its sad how little AAA new IP's are announced every year. Everyone wants remasters and sequels of old games.

This and Cyberpunk look insanely good.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Its sad how little AAA new IP's are announced every year. Everyone wants remasters and sequels of old games.

This and Cyberpunk look insanely good.

We are told this more AA than AAA: this isn't supposed to be on the scale of something like New Vegas.

Which is fine by me!! I loved New Vegas but I'm not interested in spending another 100 hours on a game, I'm too old for that stuff. RDR2 really burned me about on the idea of another marathon.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
We are told this more AA than AAA: this isn't supposed to be on the scale of something like New Vegas.

Which is fine by me!! I loved New Vegas but I'm not interested in spending another 100 hours on a game, I'm too old for that stuff. RDR2 really burned me about on the idea of another marathon.
I should have said "non-indie"

Im with you on the long games too. The older I get, the less story I want and the more 'just make the game fun to play.' I get.

I don't need 60 hours of intense twist, turns and story anymore.

Alot of these stories today are predictable too. Like you know whoever your BFF is will end up being a bad guy at some point.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
yeah I'm aware...you're talking to somebody who cut their teeth on character graphic SSI games in the 80s. :)

but in relative terms this looks considerably more dated now than New Vegas did back then.
Doesn't bother me at all. I am willing to forgive games not looking cutting edge or looking a bit dated if the game play, story, replayability, etc. are great. Open world games like this also almost always look a bit dated because they have huge development times, especially when coming from a smaller developer.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I keep thinking I'm too old for long ass games, and then I put hundreds of hours into indies. :laugh:

To be fair, I also put 120+ into Persona 5 this year so that might disprove me immediately.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I haven't heard the last part. Is that just your speculation because it's rumored to be more AA than AAA? I'm not sure that we can conclude that because, if you think about it, New Vegas was more AA than AAA, itself. It was a franchise spin-off farmed out to an outside developer and its development cycle was, reportedly, a rather short 18 months. Bethesda certainly didn't give Obsidian the same budget that they gave to themselves on Fallout 3. New Vegas had to have been a much cheaper game than Fallout 3, yet, despite that and a short development cycle, Obsidian still managed to make a massive game. I have a hard time imagining The Outer Worlds feeling that big, but not because of budget and more because of the trend of these types of games getting smaller but denser (whereas NV was massive but sparse).

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't heard the last part. Is that just your speculation because it's rumored to be more AA than AAA? I'm not sure that we can conclude that because, if you think about it, New Vegas was more AA than AAA, itself. It was a franchise spin-off farmed out to an outside developer and its development cycle was, reportedly, a rather short 18 months. Bethesda certainly didn't give Obsidian the same budget that they gave to themselves on Fallout 3. New Vegas had to have been a much cheaper game than Fallout 3, yet, despite that and a short development cycle, Obsidian still managed to make a massive game. I have a hard time imagining The Outer Worlds feeling that big, but not because of budget and more because of the trend of these types of games getting smaller but denser (whereas NV was massive but sparse).

It was a tweet from Kotaku or something

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I was the one who brought it up again recently in another thread. Glad this got bumped.

I personally will stay very far away from gameplay videos, leaks... etc. because I enjoy games much more going in blind. So I will tread lightly around here, personally, but I m very excited for this.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In that new video, particularly, it definitely looks like a cross between New Vegas and BioShock. I love the details, like the product and movie posters.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I should have said "non-indie"

Im with you on the long games too. The older I get, the less story I want and the more 'just make the game fun to play.' I get.

I don't need 60 hours of intense twist, turns and story anymore.

Alot of these stories today are predictable too. Like you know whoever your BFF is will end up being a bad guy at some point.

I wish RPG developers took exactly 0% of your mentality into account

Reactions: Volcanologist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->