The Out of Town Thread part LXIX - All Talk From Around the League Here ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes we do.

But I think you'd agree that we're not going anywhere this year. And Markov could very well be playing on borrowed time. One more injury and hes' done.
I'll gladly stick with Markov and risk an injury. If he doesn't sustain this injury, he's a very big asset to have. He would be the perfect mentor for Beaulieu.

Yes he can move the puck. Yes he's awesome (maybe the best in the league) on the PP. But we're seriously hurting in other areas. And while we lose some mobility, right now that mobility is coming at a cost. I don't think Diaz and Markov is a very good pairing. They're just too much of a liability now.
I agree, the pairing isn't good, and that's mainly due to Diaz, not Markov.
Rafa is nothing more than a bottom pair guy. I don't think he has much of a future as a #4. I see him as a bottom guy with loads of PP time. He really hasn't been that impressive. He had a good start last year but that was short lived due to injury, and since then well, rather lackluster.

You have to give something to get something. We've got Subban and Diaz with Beaulieu on the way. Of the three I think he makes the most sense to move. But like I said, I don't see us getting a guy like Coburn back.
I wouldn't give much for Coburn. He's not what he used to be. Maybe it's because he's poorly used, I believe so, but I wouldn't give Markov for him. I think he'd be good next to Markov actually.

Well, Markov has lost a step. He's a liability moreso than Diaz is. And while Diaz is not Markov on the PP, I think he'd be good enough. And PK alone can make that PP run pretty well now. We'd still have a good productive blueline. As good offensively? No. But still very good. And Coburn isn't useless offensively either. He's just not a number one.

Defensively though I think it would be infinitely better.
I think you and I rate Diaz differently. The only thing he has on Markov is speed/mobility. Diaz doesn't have the vision of Markov and when we tried to have him set up PK it really wasn't much of a success, nor was letting PK run the show.
I'm not as convinced as you are that our blueline would still produce well. Markov was a big reason why it did as well, and PK isn't a big set up guy.
You lose arguably the best PP QB in the NHL, it's going to affect you. It's not Rafa Diaz that will pick up the pieces and compensate.

We dont' really need to replace him though. The team's offense back there is good enough. What's not good enough is the D in our own zone. Nobody can clear the crease and we need to be more physical back there.

I think moving Markov and having Coburn with Diaz as our 2nd pair wouldn't make our defensive coverage much better, it would definitely hurt us offensively and with our transitions/counterattacks.

I'm all for bringing Coburn in, but I wouldn't give Markov up for him.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
Note to self, a bit of an obvious one though...
Do NOT go in a shootout vs the Oilers, Eberle and Perron just undressed Brodeur pretty bad, both with the same move.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Quick gets the Roy/Price jeer on an easy save and acknowledges it

Only in Montreal right

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I personally think their roster is actually damn good, they just aren't playing a system designed for that sort of roster

As much as I dislike the way laviolette behaves behind the bench, I have to cut him some slack here. His defense is just not up to par. Timonen in his late 30's, they never really did much to cover the pronger loss. Streit is their best puck mover but he comes with defensive issues. Schenn and coburn are strong and physical, but schenn particularly strikes me as an overrated player. Grossman is just meh.

You combine a poor mix on defense with a out of form giroux, and you have yourself a bit of a mess

This one is on holmgren more than it is on laviolette

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
I swear some people have an obsession with RNH, I've seen at least 3 threads about him these few days in the main board.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Watching the Oilers suck has got me thinking, how would fans in Montreal react to their team not being competitive for as long the Oilers have been? I know that we would still probably sell out, but the anger of Habs fans is easily felt in this city.

Wtf you talking about? We have not been competitive in 20 years. No diff to Oilers.

Habs: Zero cup since 93
Oilers: Zero cups since 90.

There is no difference between the two teams.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Wtf you talking about? We have not been competitive in 20 years. No diff to Oilers.

Habs: Zero cup since 93
Oilers: Zero cups since 90.

There is no difference between the two teams.

there is one, and a BIG one... waching a Habs game (not the years they sucked hard obviously) is entertaining, watching the Oilers suck hard year after year after year -> not so entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad