The Out of Town Thread (Part 48)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
So let's say, Laffy or not, that the Leafs want to trade one of their extra forwards for an elite defenseman. Which team has one to spare?

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Unless there is collusion with the league, there is an 87% chance against an outcome involving the Leafs' picking 1OA.

The complement of that tiny likelihood rates an A- in some courses that I give.

Reactions: Maliki2

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Tavares was a luxury for the Leafs when he signed there. Can't fault the Leafs for signing him I guess since he wanted to go there but that 11m would've been much better if invested in their defense instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maliki2

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Build a culture based on losing and its hard to break out of it. Buff, TO, Edmonton. These are all teams that spent years obviously trying to lose and they can’t win now.

If you are not trying to win as an Org don’t be surprised when you players don’t give a shit when you wake up one day and want to win.

Losing breeds losers

Reactions: Maliki2 and ROEN

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
If Leafs get Laf, we should try to get Johnsson. Such a good player. Would be an amazing fit with Lehkonen and Danault.

And it would kind of be funny watching them have no defense in 3 years but have all their cap tied up on like 4 players lol
Except Johnson is one of the few guys on a good contract. He’s not the one they should be trading. If anything, they need a few more guys like him

or, I don’t know, maybe they can sign another forward for 9 mil, see if that helps

Dubas is a genius yo

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Except Johnson is one of the few guys on a good contract. He’s not the one they should be trading. If anything, they need a few more guys like him

or, I don’t know, maybe they can sign another forward for 9 mil, see if that helps

Dubas is a genius yo
They ain't gonna be able to trade the others. They'll probably move guys like Johnsson. f*** he's good.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Man I would really hate to see Lafreniere end up in Toronto. I'd rather EDM or PIT before that.

We've already got Bergeron and Huberdeau in the division, do we need another french canadian star who dominates in the bell center?

Reactions: dinodebino

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
IF they are intelligent...what they could do with trading Marner and Nylander.....it's scary.

If they are intelligent.

With the cap staying flat, I don't think Marner will be moved if they don't eat salary. He's just under 11-million for the next 5 years.

Nylander should be easier to move because his cap hit was movable.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So let's say, Laffy or not, that the Leafs want to trade one of their extra forwards for an elite defenseman. Which team has one to spare?

Im not sure why were tying to fix their problems for them lol...

people are all of a sudden becoming leafs fans and lafrenieres not even on the team yet lmao

And i agree with another post, why would a team want to bail them out..? makes no sense to me

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Build a culture based on losing and its hard to break out of it. Buff, TO, Edmonton. These are all teams that spent years obviously trying to lose and they can’t win now.

If you are not trying to win as an Org don’t be surprised when you players don’t give a shit when you wake up one day and want to win.

Losing breeds losers

Yet, Pens, Caps and Hawks did that too and won.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Tavares was a luxury for the Leafs when he sighed there. Can't fault the Leafs for signing him I guess since he wanted to go there but that 11m would've been much better if invested in their defense instead.
Luxury was nice for rich teams back when there was no salary cap. Nowadays, balance is important, and let's just say that no one took a hometown discount over there (not that they have to, but now the GM has his hands tied by his own fault)

Reactions: sheed36

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They lost a 7-game round 1 against the Washington Capitals without Tavares. That's not shameful.

Yes. They also went Game 7 last year with JT against Boston, too.

Either way, they weren't better without him and they aren't better with him. He just costs them 11-million.

That is a lot of money they should have used on defense. Adding Tavares to Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. And having guys like Kapanen, Johnsson, and Hyman growing within the organization, they could have used that money on where they really needed it.

Reactions: DAChampion

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Luxury was nice for rich teams back when there was no salary cap. Nowadays, balance is important, and let's just say that no one took a hometown discount over there (not that they have to, but now the GM has his hands tied by his own fault)

"We can and we will" has turned into "We did and we can't". Win a playoff round that is. :)

Reactions: DavePeak

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Those teams were able to draft elite players outside the top 10.

But nobody will convince me that Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kane and Toews are not the ones responsible for their wins.

Yes, I always say you need great surrounding and not sleep on your top picks. But it's just not true that tanking never works. It does. The idea here is that whether you tank or don't, you still need capable management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad