The Out of Town Thread (Part 47)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Those are some pretty big misses by the Sens that many would be up in arms about as McAvoy, Boeser, Jokiharju would cause so much trouble for the Habs for years to come to add to Chabot, Formenton, etc.. It would be justified to a degree since if he drafted those players on top of what they have he likely could have the makings of a possible contender in a few years when you add in all those top picks they are sitting on.
Like I said, every team has those big misses. I genuinely believe that Tampa would have won at least 1 cup in the past few years if they drafted Seth Jones instead of Jonathan Drouin. Hedman-Jones would be one of the best pairings in the past decade+. And they also drafted Koekkoek instead of Forsberg. Boston with their 2015 1sts was terrible, could have been a dynasty with Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Those teams make up for it thought. I'm sure they are upset, but nowhere near as much as us because they make up for it by drafting Pasta, McAvoy, Chabot, Hoffman, Stone, Kucherov, Palat, Vasi, Cirelly, Point...etc

Meanwhile we missed on Jeff Carter, Travis Zajac, Claude Giroux, Chris Kreider, Evgeny Kuznetsov(even Kevin Hayes would have been great), Oscar Klefbom, Morgan Reilly(and Hampus Lindholm), Shea Theodore, Brandon Montour(I don't want to count this because it's so far away, but you did the same with O'Brien), Sebastian Aho. Now did we make up for this? Somewhat with the Price pick and 2007 draft. But from Chris Kreider and onwards? We only have Gallagher.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like I said, every team has those big misses. I genuinely believe that Tampa would have won at least 1 cup in the past few years if they drafted Seth Jones instead of Jonathan Drouin. Hedman-Jones would be one of the best pairings in the past decade+. And they also drafted Koekkoek instead of Forsberg. Boston with their 2015 1sts was terrible, could have been a dynasty with Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Those teams make up for it thought. I'm sure they are upset, but nowhere near as much as us because they make up for it by drafting Pasta, McAvoy, Chabot, Hoffman, Stone, Kucherov, Palat, Vasi, Cirelly, Point...etc

Meanwhile we missed on Jeff Carter, Travis Zajac, Claude Giroux, Chris Kreider, Evgeny Kuznetsov(even Kevin Hayes would have been great), Oscar Klefbom, Morgan Reilly(and Hampus Lindholm), Shea Theodore, Brandon Montour(I don't want to count this because it's so far away, but you did the same with O'Brien), Sebastian Aho. Now did we make up for this? Somewhat with the Price pick and 2007 draft. But from Chris Kreider and onwards? We only have Gallagher.

Hab fans complain more then any other fan base I have known at least. If we did what boston did in '15 or the sens in '11 or even TB, there would be a lot of crap thrown Timmins way unless it led to a cup. Just as Timmins would look better if management was able to build a better around Price when we had him at his peak, Markov-Subban Pac, Gallagher and if Galchenyuk continued to progress and was that 60-70 forward for us and we were able to be a contender with other parts added in. Unless everything failed under MB/Molson, drafting, development, coaching, mistakes everywhere.

I just don't see the sens as being great and we suck. Clearly Timmins made too many mistakes in the dark years but Sergachev looks like a very good pick and if Drouin could play consistently like he did to start this season. We don't get Domi without Galchenyuk putting up 50ish pts a year on average. Kotka was loved by many on here pre draft. Pac gets us Suzuki and Tatar plus a 2nd. It's not enough to make up for the misses but I think it moves us much closer to the sens then you think.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal

Fun fact, he lifted the cup on a season where he played only 1 game with the big team before being put on waivers and playing in the AHL all season before being called up for the last game of the season and the playoffs, where he didn't even get to play. Tough season for someone who had to live away from his family all year, especially with an autistic son. Veteran of the NHL, he was the 4th Blues player to lift the cup during the ceremonies, but as he didn't play 41 regular season games with the Blues nor any game during the SC Finals, his name is not engraved on the cup (unless the rule changed?).

Congrats for a long NHL career (especially for an enforcer), ending with a Cup win, that is the dream of many!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It may have been posted when it was announced a few weeks back but the Caps assistant coach Reid Cashman has left the team to take the job as head coach of Dartmouth in the ECAC conference of the NCAA (we had a few Dartmouth draft picks like JT Wyman, Dustin Walsh, Joe Stejskal, plus undrafted UFA Brandon McNally was in Hamilton/St John's)

It's funny cause I can remember posting about wanting us to sign him out of the NCAA as an undrafted FA as he put up good numbers but didn't do much in the AHL. Good luck to him.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I was surprised to find it was only 4 months ago, definitely felt a lot longer.

I am sure you have friends that Leafs fans, how were they taking it? I know what must have happened. The Leafs started thinking that they would easily win and the Hurricanes played extra carefully with a good defense so when the Leafs didn't score as expected they got nervous and many started taking things into their own hands and their play fell apart. It happened to me when I played tennis and my opponent injured himself slightly. I thought that if I play from side to side to make him run and hurt himself more. Took some chances and then I got nervous and that was the end of it.

Reactions: Forum93

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I am sure you have friends that Leafs fans, how were they taking it? I know what must have happened. The Leafs started thinking that they would easily win and the Hurricanes played extra carefully with a good defense so when the Leafs didn't score as expected they got nervous and many started taking things into their own hands and their play fell apart. It happened to me when I played tennis and my opponent injured himself slightly. I thought that if I play from side to side to make him run and hurt himself more. Took some chances and then I got nervous and that was the end of it.

Yes, it definitely backfired on the Leafs. The only Leaf fan I know is my father-in-law, at his age he didn't really care all that much. Although we are from Southern Ontario most of my friends are Hab fans, with a couple of Bruin fans we get to bicker with.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
2020 Hockey Hall of Fame candidates debated

“The Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2020 will be announced Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET. In preparation, NHL.com convened a selection committee of nine writers who'll stump for who they believe to be the most deserving players and builders this year.”

Iginla/Provost/Mogilny/Elias/Hossa/Baizley/Alfredsson/Brind'Amour/Mikhailov

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal

Random fact: Except Stevens, they all coached P.K. Subban in the past (as head coach or assistant), if we count Sochi where he played 11 minutes with Ruff in the staff.

I wonder if Laviolette style would be the best fit, with the young forwards NJ has that might need some guidance. Would also be a "revenge" after former Devils coach Hynes took his job in Nashville.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal

Best PPG in the AHL this season, 2nd for points, but not good enough for the NHL I guess? Could be a star in the KHL if he adapts.

Is he still eligible to play in the NHL playoffs if he signed in another league? I’ve red he could have been considered by the Canucks for their extended roster.

Good for him, it might be better financially if the KHL starts the next season on time while we don’t know yet what’s gonna happen with the AHL for 20-21.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Best PPG in the AHL this season, 2nd for points, but not good enough for the NHL I guess? Could be a star in the KHL if he adapts.

Is he still eligible to play in the NHL playoffs if he signed in another league? I’ve red he could have been considered by the Canucks for their extended roster.

Good for him, it might be better financially if the KHL starts the next season on time while we don’t know yet what’s gonna happen with the AHL for 20-21.

That is a curious question, because he signed with the KHL for next year. But technically, he is still under contract with the Canucks as we speak.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

at least we don't have to face him any more, he's got 65 goals in his last 109 games with Utica.

though I wonder if some players like him that normally would be AHL vets might worry that the AHL could be in trouble next season cause they likely can't play unless they have fans whereas in the KHL or other Euro leagues they can. So sign for more money and better odds at actually having a season, perhaps we will see a few more do this.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
That is a curious question, because he signed with the KHL for next year. But technically, he is still under contract with the Canucks as we speak.
But with the current plan for both leagues, NHL 19-20 playoffs and KHL 20-21 calendar might overlap! Interesting...

though I wonder if some players like him that normally would be AHL vets might worry that the AHL could be in trouble next season cause they likely can't play unless they have fans whereas in the KHL or other Euro leagues they can. So sign for more money and better odds at actually having a season, perhaps we will see a few more do this.
I agree with you, and that won’t help AHL ticket sales whenever fans will be back to arenas.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Because of the slower pace, there are some ways to get points in the A which won't work in the NHL. Some of the AHLers are very good at using those strategies that do not work in the NHL.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
2020 Hall of Fame Class

- Ken Holland (builder category)
- Marian Hossa
- Jarome Iginla
- Kevin Lowe
- Kim St-Pierre
- Doug Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.