The Out of Town Thread - LXX - Large Extra Extra? - All talks around the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Under 6'0, C but shoots right, not good defensively, can't stick in Ottawa....

I wouldn't, he doesn't fill any needs.

He's french, not half-baked french like we are, but pure-breed french. I say we get him.

Seriously, he could really help us out in Hamilton.

PricePkPatch*

He's french, not half-baked french like we are, but pure-breed french. I say we get him.

That's a stupid reason to pick a player. If we pick a french player, it's because he'll fit in our lineup.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
25stanley just posted an article about Ribeiro, and there is this picture of his house in Texas at the bottom

Screen-shot-2013-10-17-at-1.37.58-AM.png

holy. ****.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Thomas faces his old team tonight and yikes according to the Panthers GDT Gomez is now their #1C !?!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
25stanley just posted an article about Ribeiro, and there is this picture of his house in Texas at the bottom

holy. ****.

That was a sad article. I knew Ribeiro personally, he's a great guy - his wife, not so much. Hope it works out though, and she doesn't skewer him on alimony payments or whatever.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

holy. ****.

The housing market in the States is ridiculous. There's the one extreme of Manhattan, then there's the house the parents of one of my best friends from Japan semi-recently bought in Lynden, Wash. that used to belong to a head exec. with Boeing. Huge house, huge separate stable with horses and llamas (came with the house, funny enough), and about at least 20 acres of rolling fields basically at the foot of Mount Baker. I can't remember if it cost them $500 000, or $750 000, but I assure you I haven't forgotten a zero in there, which is ridiculous, because the the cost and installation of the sound systems and other electronic controls wired into that place must have cost a decent percentage of that. I looked up some of the speakers that you can actually see in the walls/ceiling, and there were 8 in this one room that go (or used to go) for something like $5-10 000 a piece...

Also, you'd be surprised/disgusted at how little you can pay to get a 2 storey, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, plus garage throughout the southern half of the States - even in warm, gated, beach areas like, say, West Palm Beach. My brother and I found countless places in the $60-80 000 range that almost tempted us!

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Of course, you never bothered to check that Halak is 4-1-3 lifetime against the Hawks, with a 2.07 GAA and 0.930 SV%.

Somewhat more relevant sidenote would be how many of those games were against the 6th/8th seed Hawks from 2010-2012 vs the 8 regulation losses in 54 season games + cup 2013 Hawks. Blues are playing back to back. If Halak gets lit up again and Elliott wins tomorrow with a shutout or something close, recent history suggests Elliott might get a string of starts as long as he puts up great numbers - something he has done.

That's a stupid reason to pick a player. If we pick a french player, it's because he'll fit in our lineup.

Or a midget.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
2012/13: 1-0, 2.00 GAA, 0.929 SV% (26/28). Any other questions?

lol. that's this year. 0-1 last year, let in 3 goals.

The point isn't that Halak will get lit up, it's that he has a higher likelihood at it vs a team like the Hawks than the Jets (who they play tomorrow). Since it's a back to back, Elliott is guaranteed an easy start versus the Jets tomorrow. If you couple the Sharks game with a poor showing tonight from Halak with a good showing from Elliott tomorrow night, is it not conceivable that Elliott gets a run of starts based on recent past of Blues goalie management? After all, both are impending UFAs and you'd think they want to make sure they keep the right one.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The point isn't that Halak will get lit up, it's that he has a higher likelihood at it vs a team like the Hawks than the Jets (who they play tomorrow). Since it's a back to back, Elliott is guaranteed an easy start versus the Jets tomorrow. If you couple the Sharks game with a poor showing tonight from Halak with a good showing from Elliott tomorrow night, is it not conceivable that Elliott gets a run of starts based on recent past of Blues goalie management? After all, both are impending UFAs and you'd think they want to make sure they keep the right one.

I'm gonna guess that you didn't watch the SJ/St.Louis game, because while that wasn't 10 bell saves left and right from Halak, I'm positive no one is hanging that result on him - especially when Elliot was brought in for the usual "team shake up" to start the 3rd, and let in 2 goals on 13 shots. Any team/goalie anywhere in the league could conceivably get blown out like that if they play the Sharks that way this year. Obviously they're hoping to go forward with Halak.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

You're trolling your own board. Recent past management of Blues goalies shows Halak to have got all 5 of the team starts and they are coming back with him again in an important contest.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Somewhat more relevant sidenote would be how many of those games were against the 6th/8th seed Hawks from 2010-2012 vs the 8 regulation losses in 54 season games + cup 2013 Hawks. Blues are playing back to back. If Halak gets lit up again and Elliott wins tomorrow with a shutout or something close, recent history suggests Elliott might get a string of starts as long as he puts up great numbers - something he has done.

Yeah but it all just seems like you WANt this to happen to halak more than it possibly just happening to him..

hes on my fantasy team so i rly hope it DOESNT happen, but to think that halak will get lit up for 4-5 goals and then simply lose his starting job because of losing the cup champs really just sounds like something you want to happen over it ACTUALLY happening

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The housing market in the States is ridiculous. There's the one extreme of Manhattan, then there's the house the parents of one of my best friends from Japan semi-recently bought in Lynden, Wash. that used to belong to a head exec. with Boeing. Huge house, huge separate stable with horses and llamas (came with the house, funny enough), and about at least 20 acres of rolling fields basically at the foot of Mount Baker. I can't remember if it cost them $500 000, or $750 000, but I assure you I haven't forgotten a zero in there, which is ridiculous, because the the cost and installation of the sound systems and other electronic controls wired into that place must have cost a decent percentage of that. I looked up some of the speakers that you can actually see in the walls/ceiling, and there were 8 in this one room that go (or used to go) for something like $5-10 000 a piece...

Also, you'd be surprised/disgusted at how little you can pay to get a 2 storey, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, plus garage throughout the southern half of the States - even in warm, gated, beach areas like, say, West Palm Beach. My brother and I found countless places in the $60-80 000 range that almost tempted us!

Yup. I saw that pic and then read "Texas" and then I was: "ok, that's probably about $500,000". No more than that since the lot looks very small. My sister in Qc probably paid more for her 1,500 sq. ft. townhouse.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'm gonna guess that you didn't watch the SJ/St.Louis game, because while that wasn't 10 bell saves left and right from Halak, I'm positive no one is hanging that result on him - especially when Elliot was brought in for the usual "team shake up" to start the 3rd, and let in 2 goals on 13 shots. Any team/goalie anywhere in the league could conceivably get blown out like that if they play the Sharks that way this year. Obviously they're hoping to go forward with Halak.

They also hoped Halak was going to be their starter last season and the year before. I think you're still missing the point of I was trying to say in my original post and proceeding comments. I think you're taking it as 'Halak playing poorly' while what I'm trying to suggest is the path for Elliott to take #1 from Halak is beginning to take shape.

Hypothetical scenario: Halak gives up 3 goals tonight in a loss - he'd have given up 10 goals in his last 3 starts in 8 periods. Elliott puts in a great performance Friday for a win. Next 2 Blues games are another back to back the following Friday (Canucks) and Saturday (Predators). Since the Blues have trusted Halak to be their starter at the start of the season, chances Halak gets the tougher Nucks while Elliott gets the no offense Preds.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a window for Elliott depending on the next 4 games with tonight being the big one.

Considering they traded for Halak and signed Elliott without giving up assets, I'm not surprised they want the former to be the starter. I think if the acquisition methods were the other way around Elliott would be the one starting the season with managerial favour. I believe they want Halak to be the #1 but will give Elliott a thorough evaluation over the course of the season. It's logical for them to want Halak as #1 but also to want to let go of the right goalie. With Elliott being 37-18-5 in the last 2 seasons with a 1.84 GAA and 0.929 SV%, it would be silly no to given him a fair shot.

Yeah but it all just seems like you WANt this to happen to halak more than it possibly just happening to him..

hes on my fantasy team so i rly hope it DOESNT happen, but to think that halak will get lit up for 4-5 goals and then simply lose his starting job because of losing the cup champs really just sounds like something you want to happen over it ACTUALLY happening

Never said I didn't want it to happen. As a Brian Elliott keeper league owner via waiver pick up in early 2011, I'm analyzing this closely and waiting patiently to go from middle of the pack to contender status. :laugh:

And no, I don't think it's as simple as losing tonight. My point is a loss tonight would give Elliott a window of opportunity in the next 2 weeks to take the #1 and go on a run of starts.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
They also hoped Halak was going to be their starter last season and the year before.

Well, he was the starter the year before, and the Blues simply didn't ignore a "hot hand" (Elliot's '11/12 numbers stick out from his career numbers far more than Halak's did, obviously), and would have been used as such again last year if not for being affected by groin issues for about 1/4 of the shortened, compressed season. They keep coming back to Halak when he's ready, so obviously they see him as a "better" goalie than Elliot.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You're trolling your own board. Recent past management of Blues goalies shows Halak to have got all 5 of the team starts and they are coming back with him again in an important contest.

A team that has been dominant at home over the years started season on a 5 game home stretch with 1, 3, 2, 2 days between each game and won the first 4 games. Would not really make sense to not start Halak if you are going to start the season with him as #1 again. :dunno:

This is the first road game and first back to back. Halak can either come out a dominate solidifying himself as the true #1 or lose and give Elliott an opening. Based on scheduling, likely starts for Elliott in the coming weeks look like easy wins that can make his case to getting more starts.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Well, he was the starter the year before, and the Blues simply didn't ignore a "hot hand" (Elliot's '11/12 numbers stick out from his career numbers far more than Halak's did, obviously), and would have been used as such again last year if not for being affected by groin issues for about 1/4 of the shortened, compressed season. They keep coming back to Halak when he's ready, so obviously they see him as a "better" goalie than Elliot.

underlined what's part of the problem with Halak

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

Seriously, he could really help us out in Hamilton.

You can't pick up players on waivers for your AHL team.

(You can but it would be pointless since you have to put them back on waivers to send them down. The original team that waived him has priority.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->