News Article: The Ottawa Senators have turned the corner with D.J. Smith's approach

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
D

DJ appears to be relying a lot on maximizing the opportunity of below average players to earn “next level” contract (brown, Ennus, demelo, doc, Pager, etc). It will be Intersting to see how he deals with higher skilled/higher paid players as the team commits to players coming off their ELC. Laf/By type players may present a different challenge and White has hardly excelled after signing his $26+ deal and Chabot has been “good/okay” (for a guy who signed $8x8)

A few points:
- I don't have a lot of concern for White or Chabot, IMO both are having a bit of a softmore slump, moreso White at the moment. I expect next season that both will bounce back, afterall they are both still quite young & Chabot leads the league in ice time. IMO they need to find that RD that can play with Chabot who can compliment his weaknesses & look after the backend when he takes off with the puck, JBD could be that guy. And White IMO also needs two complimentary players to improve his play.

- I also have no concerns as to how this coaching staff will deal with any new prospects, there is plenty of experience on this staff to deal with almost any situation IMO. Add to that the coaching in Belleville are playing the same style as in Ottawa & in Belleville they get the basics so that by the time they are NHL ready they fit into the system easily. Clearly not every prospect is going to turn into an NHL player even though a few of them might be fan favourites, it happens all the time. What's important with the rebuild is that they get as many good young players as possible onto the NHL team & improve where needed & they have the assets to do just that.

- regarding your post above, Duclair is not a "Free Agent", he is restricted which is a huge difference & gives the team all the leverage. IMO the team has two options, to ether qualify for what the league requirements are or sign him to a contract both sides agree to, a third option would be to trade him by the deadline which I doubt happens. IMO they should just qualify him for another year & than decide to either pay him or trade him, depending on how the team is doing & whether anyone else has stepped up to score as many goals. He'll be more expensive next yr but at the same time he will have proven to be a little more consistent with his overall play.

- regarding Tkachuk, IMO he will be signed long term as Chabot was for whatever he deserves, IMO he is a cornerstone of this team & any future team. And IMO there will be plenty of money to sigh him especially given the fact that Ottawa has 10 UFAs who might be gone by the end of the season along with a couple of LTIR.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A few points:
- I don't have a lot of concern for White or Chabot, IMO both are having a bit of a softmore slump, moreso White at the moment. I expect next season that both will bounce back, afterall they are both still quite young & Chabot leads the league in ice time. IMO they need to find that RD that can play with Chabot who can compliment his weaknesses & look after the backend when he takes off with the puck, JBD could be that guy. And White IMO also needs two complimentary players to improve his play.

- I also have no concerns as to how this coaching staff will deal with any new prospects, there is plenty of experience on this staff to deal with almost any situation IMO. Add to that the coaching in Belleville are playing the same style as in Ottawa & in Belleville they get the basics so that by the time they are NHL ready they fit into the system easily. Clearly not every prospect is going to turn into an NHL player even though a few of them might be fan favourites, it happens all the time. What's important with the rebuild is that they get as many good young players as possible onto the NHL team & improve where needed & they have the assets to do just that.

- regarding your post above, Duclair is not a "Free Agent", he is restricted which is a huge difference & gives the team all the leverage. IMO the team has two options, to ether qualify for what the league requirements are or sign him to a contract both sides agree to, a third option would be to trade him by the deadline which I doubt happens. IMO they should just qualify him for another year & than decide to either pay him or trade him, depending on how the team is doing & whether anyone else has stepped up to score as many goals. He'll be more expensive next yr but at the same time he will have proven to be a little more consistent with his overall play.

- regarding Tkachuk, IMO he will be signed long term as Chabot was for whatever he deserves, IMO he is a cornerstone of this team & any future team. And IMO there will be plenty of money to sigh him especially given the fact that Ottawa has 10 UFAs who might be gone by the end of the season along with a couple of LTIR.

Thanks for sharing. Duclair is absolutely a free agent. He is a “restricted free agent” and although there are protective mechanisms in place for both sides he is absolutely playing for a contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for sharing. Duclair is absolutely a free agent. He is a “restricted free agent” and although there are protective mechanisms in place for both sides he is absolutely playing for a contract.
He has been playing for his career since his days in Arizona. The guy was seen as on his last chance in Clb and was looking like he wouldn't get qualified by them. The idea that he is only playing well because its a contract year requires that we ignore that it was a contract year for him last year while he played terrible in clb. DJ Smith has gotten threw to him, and he is buying what the coach is selling. Its far more than just it being a contract year for him.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and JD1

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
my apologies if this is a rehash of a posts that have previously appeared.

The man played 12 or so years in junior, the minors and a few games in the pros. He has been an assistant in junior, a head coach in junior an assistant in the pros and now a head coach.
At 42 he is a perfect blend of youth and experience
From what I see of him, he is humble...does not stand there and believe he is the smartest man in the room. low ego. Not a yeller and a screamer..

so a real good resume. He is holding a team together that is a crazy collection of seemingly throwaways, aging veterans, young players, etc.

Most of you are probably way too young to remember, but the Oakland Raiders had Tom Flores in the late 70's, early 80's..This guy reminds me so much of him..If that is the case...two Superbowls for Flores..It does however make Eugene, Al ...OOOOHHHHH

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
He has been playing for his career since his days in Arizona. The guy was seen as on his last chance in Clb and was looking like he wouldn't get qualified by them. The idea that he is only playing well because its a contract year requires that we ignore that it was a contract year for him last year while he played terrible in clb. DJ Smith has gotten threw to him, and he is buying what the coach is selling. Its far more than just it being a contract year for him.
This is just an assumption. While I imagine the coach had something to do with the turnaround, it's more likely that several things fell into place for Duke this year. Maturity, his teammates (I think Brady has some influence even at his young age), etc.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
This is just an assumption. While I imagine the coach had something to do with the turnaround, it's more likely that several things fell into place for Duke this year. Maturity, his teammates (I think Brady has some influence even at his young age), etc.

I am posting this now and will definitely take some heat for it but seeing as it’s in vogue (not the right saying but I’m rolling) - Brady Tkachuk will be written in history as the best player this decade.

Reactions: Variable26

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
From the coach: Jan. 5th, 2020
by Craig Medaglia @craigmedaglia / Ottawa Senators

Following today's Sens Skills presented by Sport Chek, Sens head coach D.J. Smith shared his thoughts on the event and results as well as providing a few updates on some of his injured players.

From the coach: Jan. 5th, 2020

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jaros won the fastest skater competition???
Boucher used to say he was the fastest on the team, and that was while Formenton was on the roster.

He doesn't have the top end acceleration from stand still but there is a lot of power in his stride allowing him to make ground on the 3rd and 4th steps and he can really move at top speed when he wants to. Reminds me a bit of Greening in his skating.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Jaros won the fastest skater competition???

Great..now lets see a 6'3", 23 year old, will be 24 nearing the end of the season..has 68 NHL games, 1 goal, 11 assists. Has a grand total of 5 games played, 0 goals, 2 assists, this season.

Who cares what competition he wins, we need him to start producing in games, start establishing himself as worthy of a spot and start contributing to success (although to fend off the attacks that will come, not for another 2 years, we need to tank for that long. right?) We sure need him to give us a sign that he will be part of the rebuild, or a chip to be used in trades. As of now, we have very little.

Reilly puck control. White shot accuracy...OMG.... could there be greater irony.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean the Sens skills competition isn't exactly reliable lol. Its for kids entertainment.

It wouldnt shock me if they juiced the hardest shot numbers.

Last year he was recorded at 109.5 so yeah... maybe...

These guys will never get that kind of shot off in game. Chara and Weber have cannons they can get off from a a stand still, and Paul will never be unloading from the point like that even if he could. He might have a rocket of a slapper, but it's not a weapon he'll ever use.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Shockingly, I don't think Connor Brown scored in the breakaway challenge..lol

While the team is doing this bad, rather than a team challenge, why not have a family fun day..Get a local band to play (some band that is kid friendly) Have a skating session with the players. You kill 2 hours, the $20/$15 that people pay, help pay for everything. And you don't have this.

What are you telling people when players who's days are numbered with the club win these events. So that today, instead of talking about it in favorable terms, we are mocking it.

White wins accurate shot..3 goals..all but 1 or 2 of the starters have more. Pretty much all the starting forwards have more.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
While the team is doing this bad, rather than a team challenge, why not have a family fun day..Get a local band to play (some band that is kid friendly) Have a skating session with the players. You kill 2 hours, the $20/$15 that people pay, help pay for everything. And you don't have this.

What are you telling people when players who's days are numbered with the club win these events. So that today, instead of talking about it in favorable terms, we are mocking it.

White wins accurate shot..3 goals..all but 1 or 2 of the starters have more. Pretty much all the starting forwards have more.
This is probably the wrong thread for this discussion, but not sure where else to put it.

I have never been to Sens Skills, before yesterday. My 6-year old son loved it and had a great time, and thats probably all that matters. However, (I know you will all be shocked), I found the event sort of underwhelming. Brady and Boro not participating was disappointing, obviously they were injured, but still disappointing none the less.

I completely agree with you, the family fun day aspect would be fantastic. They were handing out reversible Team White/Team Red signs that could transform to a noise maker. There must have been none left when I got there 45 minutes before the event, or I was completely blind, because I didn't see any anywhere. There were also hockey cards being handed out, but the man that was doing this seemed to pick and chose who the cards were handed to, and mostly avoided the kids and gave them to the adults. Sparty and the t-shirt cannons were out, but that's about it.

They are in the business of trying to attract new fans, so give all the kids in attendance something to remember, a t-shirt, a calendar, as poster, a bobblehead, not a sign that was difficult to find and one that mostly was thrown in the garbage by the time the event was over. All the kids in the building loved to dance when the music played, why not have DJ Prosper there?

Doing something similar to Fanfest is what they should do, minus the 5-6 hours of Fanfest and minus the Dean Brown/Gord Wilson sideshow. Nobody thinks they are funny except themselves.

Will say, that Brady Tkachuk is just what this organization needs. Even though he wasn't on the ice, he had a baby or small child in his arms throughout the whole event and signed autographs until the event was over. Kudos to him, he gets it.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There were also hockey cards being handed out, but the man that was doing this seemed to pick and chose who the cards were handed to, and mostly avoided the kids and gave them to the adults.
That seems outright ass-backwards to me...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
That seems outright ass-backwards to me...
It was a little strange. I was with my wife and my two kids (6 & 3), walking behind my brother in law and his two kids. The guy gave two packs of cards to my brother in law and completely avoided his kids, while I had to ask for a pack and was only given one. It's not like there were thousands of people there. Obviously this is most likely nobody's fault but the man handing out the cards, but I did find it quite strange.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
one thing about DJ that im sure some players appreciate is that he doesn't really expose anyone on the ice. could be the system but no one plays poorly. everyone is allowed to do their thing at an appropriate level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad