News Article: The Ottawa Senators have turned the corner with D.J. Smith's approach

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Crisis? What crisis? No changes on defence for Senators despite Monday mess against Hurricanes

Why are NHL coaches so bloody scared to mix up their d pairings? Why is it so taboo? Happens to the forward lines all the time.

(Also, I hope this headline doesn't have the same effect as the other two we are now discussing)

Like John Tortorella said a few years ago, give coaches 10-year contracts, and you'll see a vastly different (and more entertaining) game.

(I'm paraphrasing a bit, don't remember the exact quote.)

Coaches try whatever they can to win that game, that night. They know (in most cases) they have a short self life, so the thought of building a strong foundation that will reap benefits 4+ years down the road isn't really a priority. As a result, you see an over-reliance on boring systems play, a lack of creativity, and a reliance on more predictable veterans over rookies. And the sad thing is, it not only hurts the watch-ability of games, but also the development of young player (hence why you need to over cook them in the AHL) and long-term success with the same core.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The true test will be how this team performs next season. New coach, new system is always amazing the first season.

I think the bad roster will have more to do with performance than the new coaching staff. This team needs more talent to compete with the stronger SC contending teams and it will take years to rebuild to that level. The team is missing an entire first line of top talent. The coaching staff cannot compensate for that significant disadvantage.

I think the more aggressive forechecking is a good strategy/tactic as it means the puck should not be in your own D zone as much. It would be interesting to see some stats on that. Hint. :)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think the bad roster will have more to do with performance than the new coaching staff. This team needs more talent to compete with the stronger SC contending teams and it will take years to rebuild to that level. The team is missing an entire first line of top talent. The coaching staff cannot compensate for that significant disadvantage.

I think the more aggressive forechecking is a good strategy/tactic as it means the puck should not be in your own D zone as much. It would be interesting to see some stats on that. Hint. :)
Hard fore checking and loses leads to more loses when players give up because it isn't resulting in success. That is the story with Sens coaching over the years.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Like John Tortorella said a few years ago, give coaches 10-year contracts, and you'll see a vastly different (and more entertaining) game.

(I'm paraphrasing a bit, don't remember the exact quote.)

Coaches try whatever they can to win that game, that night. They know (in most cases) they have a short self life, so the thought of building a strong foundation that will reap benefits 4+ years down the road isn't really a priority. As a result, you see an over-reliance on boring systems play, a lack of creativity, and a reliance on more predictable veterans over rookies. And the sad thing is, it not only hurts the watch-ability of games, but also the development of young player (hence why you need to over cook them in the AHL) and long-term success with the same core.

They gave Babcock 8 years and he's still just as bad as he was though and dresses guys like Polak and plays them way too much.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
DJ switched up the d pairs, at least two of them, and it seemed to have worked. I appreciate that he took his time before breaking things up, but it continues to demonstrate that he has a plan in place

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
DJ switched up the d pairs, at least two of them, and it seemed to have worked. I appreciate that he took his time before breaking things up, but it continues to demonstrate that he has a plan in place
I find it interesting that we only have two d-men that are minuses in Chabot at -7 and Brannstrom at a -3. Impressive I guess

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I find it interesting that we only have two d-men that are minuses in Chabot at -7 and Brannstrom at a -3. Impressive I guess
I find it funny that the two D that most think are their best defencemen moving forward are the worse defensively, reminds me of EK. Chabot takes too many risks & needs to cut that out of his game & Brannstrom needs to bulk up in order to fend off the bigger forwards in the NHL.

It wouldn't hurt either of these guys if they had bigger & tougher partners to help them out defensively against the bigger NHL forwards. Ottawa needs a couple of big tough good young D who can skate & play higher up in the lineup to help Chabot & Brannstrom's defensive misgivings. A defenceman like Dobson to play with Chabot or Brannstrom.

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm having a tough time criticizing Chabot this season for his defensiveness shortcomings, if only because I feel like a lot of the issues stem from him trying to do too much. Once this team can surround him with some real talent I think he'll settle in nicely. Brannstrom is admittedly a whole other kettle of fish, but I can't really judge him too harshly either since he shouldn't even be up here right now.

Reactions: bert and Deku

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm having a tough time criticizing Chabot this season for his defensiveness shortcomings, if only because I feel like a lot of the issues stem from him trying to do too much. Once this team can surround him with some real talent I think he'll settle in nicely. Brannstrom is admittedly a whole other kettle of fish, but I can't really judge him too harshly either since he shouldn't even be up here right now.

100% agree on chabot. He's totally trying to do it all himself.

Brannstrom looked really good vs Jersey imo, a real step in the right direction.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t like the trend I have seen towards Boucher hockey the last couple games. Seems to me the forecheck has lessened and they are sitting back more

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Naw, I think everyone is pretty tired. So many back to backs, and it’s tiring coming at teams in waves over and over again down by a goal or two.

Im not seeing passive forechecking as much as guys changing lines when they can in the third.

However, the style of play should change when trying to protect a lead in the late stages of the third, every team does this. I think the problem with Boucher is that we’d start to tighten up after a lead in the 1st and let the other team clobber us in waves until they scored.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’ve always wondered if it’s easier or be a thinner player like Chabot / EK doing it for 25+ minutes a night then a bigger fella like Burns / Pronger.

Smaller players may recover faster because they play less physical but in battles they probably have to go to their limit more, bigger dudes have the advantage of almost always being the strongest player in the battle but disadvantage of having to lug all that weight around and face the biggest competition on a nightly basis.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think the ideal player would have the build and density to provide the mass and strength, over packing on extra layers of muscle to the detriment of speed and stamina. Some players are just specimens who can be strong and fast, with stamina to match; they’re just rare.

Paul is probably a decent example. He’s plenty fast and strong, and is apparently one of the fittest and strongest players on the team. DJ remarked a while back that Paul can go full tilt all game.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the ideal player would have the build and density to provide the mass and strength, over packing on extra layers of muscle to the detriment of speed and stamina. Some players are just specimens who can be strong and fast, with stamina to match; they’re just rare.

Paul is probably a decent example. He’s plenty fast and strong, and is apparently one of the fittest and strongest players on the team. DJ remarked a while back that Paul can go full tilt all game.

I remember watching Selanne. He was a stallion! Big, strong, fast, quick, smooth, skilled.
Cannot leave out Ovechkin. He was a Beast. Big, strong, fast, quick, physical, skilled.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I remember watching Selanne. He was a stallion! Big, strong, fast, quick, smooth, skilled.
Cannot leave out Ovechkin. He was a Beast. Big, strong, fast, quick, physical, skilled.

Yeah, different caliber of player, but that’s the type. Lebron...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’ve always wondered if it’s easier or be a thinner player like Chabot / EK doing it for 25+ minutes a night then a bigger fella like Burns / Pronger.

Smaller players may recover faster because they play less physical but in battles they probably have to go to their limit more, bigger dudes have the advantage of almost always being the strongest player in the battle but disadvantage of having to lug all that weight around and face the biggest competition on a nightly basis.
Everybody has a different capacity to recover and optimize oxygen intake. Endurance athletes just have different genetics from other high performance athletes regardless of body type. For instance EK would probably be able to run a marathon without much training because he’s a freak with his recovery.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I wonder how big of a part DJ was of the winning Leafs last year? Looks like they are in need of new coaching.

The Toronto Maple Leafs sit fourth in the Atlantic Divison at the moment. Their power play and penalty kill, both led by assistant coaches who were brought in this summer, rank in the bottom third of the league, respectively, while their odds at qualifying for the playoffs languish at precisely 33.4% prior to Saturday night, according to MoneyPuck.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I really like this coaching staff, they seem to have this team playing a very good aggressive system with the players they have. Can't wait for a few more prospects to play in Ottawa & a number of players traded.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
D
I really like this coaching staff, they seem to have this team playing a very good aggressive system with the players they have. Can't wait for a few more prospects to play in Ottawa & a number of players traded.

DJ appears to be relying a lot on maximizing the opportunity of below average players to earn “next level” contract (brown, Ennus, demelo, doc, Pager, etc). It will be Intersting to see how he deals with higher skilled/higher paid players as the team commits to players coming off their ELC. Laf/By type players may present a different challenge and White has hardly excelled after signing his $26+ deal and Chabot has been “good/okay” (for a guy who signed $8x8)

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
D

DJ appears to be relying a lot on maximizing the opportunity of below average players to earn “next level” contract (brown, Ennus, demelo, doc, Pager, etc). It will be Intersting to see how he deals with higher skilled/higher paid players as the team commits to players coming off their ELC. Laf/By type players may present a different challenge and White has hardly excelled after signing his $26+ deal and Chabot has been “good/okay” (for a guy who signed $8x8)

I don’t think he’s relying at all. He’s implementing a system, and using the players he has at his disposal. He’s using core players like Chabot, BT, and Duclair just as much as guys that you have erroneously called ‘below average’.

As those players are replaced with younger guys, they will play the same roles that they have grown into from Belleville up. Given the focus on character, and how close the young guys seem to be, I doubt we see anything but a solid group looking to continue to kick ass and pay the price.

In the end those higher paid players will be the same players working their asses off for him right now.

As a side note, Chabot isn’t an 8 million guy this year, he’s an absolute bargain once again. Also, it’s getting a bit tedious reading you try and shoehorn White and his contract into every single post. I think everyone knows how you feel at this point.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t think he’s relying at all. He’s implementing a system, and using the players he has at his disposal. He’s using core players like Chabot, BT, and Duclair just as much as guys that you have erroneously called ‘below average’.

As those players are replaced with younger guys, they will play the same roles that they have grown into from Belleville up. Given the focus on character, and how close the young guys seem to be, I doubt we see anything but a solid group looking to continue to kick ass and pay the price.

In the end those higher paid players will be the same players working their asses off for him right now.

As a side note, Chabot isn’t an 8 million guy this year, he’s an absolute bargain once again. Also, it’s getting a bit tedious reading you try and shoehorn White and his contract into every single post. I think everyone knows how you feel at this point.

Duclair is a free agent and Brady is one year away from negotiations. It’s just my opinion but the core that is generating effective play on this team are nearing contract negotiations. I guess the Sens haven't signed anyone so the entire team is nearing negotiations.

Chabot is the obvious outlier ... Aside from his minutes I would consider his play good (not amazing for him). His contract is secured going forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->