OT: The Other Sports Thread VI - The NFL is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
No QB for the Giants is a bit of a surprise. I guess they figure Manning still has some gas left in the tank. I'm not a huge fan of picking a running back that high but who knows I guess. I wouldn't be all that happy if I were a NY fan though, you don't get to pick #2 that often, you might as well go QB.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
No QB for the Giants is a bit of a surprise. I guess they figure Manning still has some gas left in the tank. I'm not a huge fan of picking a running back that high but who knows I guess.

not a fan of RBs taken higher but Barkley can do it all. Explosive from the backfield and basically another receiver. Never been a huge fan of Manning. I would have gone QB in their place.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
not a fan of RBs taken higher but Barkley can do it all. Explosive from the backfield and basically another receiver. Never been a huge fan of Manning. I would have gone QB in their place.
Given the circumstances I'm not a huge fan of the pick. They really needed to go QB, you don't get to pick that high too often. Manning is getting real banged up and past his prime.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Ward ? That a bit of a reach, I don't even have him as the best cornerback of the draft. Super athlete though.

I have him as the top CB but it's a bit high. I prefer James and Fitzpatrick as safeties. Little less value at the position but both will impact the game greatly. Both can defend against the pass and against the run. I would have gone for Nelson, one of the safeties or trade down (Edmunds for me).

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'm with Aikman on Allen. Drafting a QB with accuracy issues is running after trouble. Quite hard to correct that. Good luck to Allen nonetheless.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm still giggling like a school girl at the Barkley pick. Couldn't be happier with it.

P.S. I had Barkley, Nelson and Chubb as my top 3 for NYG.

P.P.S. They weren't gonna go with a QB. That much was clear a while back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's my first time watching an NFL draft and am finding myself constantly comparing with what usually happens in NHL drafts.

I've been watching for the last hour or so and like the format. "The pick is in" on the center screen is effective, the commish announcing the picks on his own also works (except for a special pick announcement by someone from the Steelers) and the players who are in attendance, don't leave their seats.

It's also quite a different presentation when they show the player and his highlights, once he's been drafted. Some of guys are really laid back and have a sense of humor. Some of them are shirtless and heavily tatooed and break some moves, adding entertainment to the process.

The configuration of the space is also interesting, with fans so close to center stage and some of them accompanied by cheerleaders, pom poms, slick logos and accessories -- it feels professional. I also like when the camera breaks to a group away from the arena, that is cheering for the selection.

You see a lot of players who were just taken, taking it easy, talking on their cellphones while those around them are showing much more emotion than they are. Most of them are just taking in the moment, barely acknowledging the camera.

Seems to me there is a better flow to the proceedings than what we typically see with NHL drafts -- this whole parade of owners, management types and their friends and families waiting on stage for the selected player to shake everyone's hand is a nice touch but I wonder if it really is necessary, when you how well the NFL draft flows.

What was also funny were fan reactions. The group supporting the Baltimore Ravens had the oddest reaction upon the announcement of their team's pick -- you could see one guy mouth off "who?", looking to fellow fans for approval as it were, and then other fans from the same group looking at each other with a blank stare, confused about the selected player but then erupting nonetheless in a celebration as if they had just realized that the camera was on them and they didn't want to look like they weren't supporting their team. Lots of entertaining moments.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
No QB for the Giants is a bit of a surprise. I guess they figure Manning still has some gas left in the tank. I'm not a huge fan of picking a running back that high but who knows I guess. I wouldn't be all that happy if I were a NY fan though, you don't get to pick #2 that often, you might as well go QB.

Barkley is THE guy we all wanted as NYG fans. The response has been overwhelmingly positive.

There was no franchise QB available in this draft, at least that was the consensus going in. Most experts view Darnold as the closest to hit that ceiling, but that is not a sure thing either. You don't gamble drafting that high unless you're positive about a player. The NFL teams draft by need and the NYG nailed it here IMO. They picked the best player in the draft. You don't say no to an RB that ran 4.4 at the combine. He'll immediately open things up for Eli. Just look at what Zeke did for Prescott. And I believe Barkley is better than Elliott.

Not sure why you think he's another receiver. His catching ability is alright, but that's not his strength. It's his ability to get to the edge and blow by the secondaries that makes him a huge threat. He possesses an incredible "ankle-breaking" balance to dance around the interior D, but he likes to get out wide after that and gain his yards that way. He's a game-breaker, the type of an rb that can make a 4 yard play result in a gain of 60.

As to the concerns with him... I won't pretend there aren't any. One aspect of his game he'll have to work on is his ability to break tackles early into his carries. The NFL poses a much greater challenge than what he is used to at the college level.

Lastly there's the position he plays. That's nothing to do with Barkley as a player of course. The reason RBs aren't picked high often is due to the wear and tear that limits their careers more often than not. I generally share those sentiments. But a player of Barkley's caliber trumps those concerns IMO. You take the odds and roll with it IMO.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Barkley is THE guy we all wanted as NYG fans. The response has been overwhelmingly positive.

There was no franchise QB available in this draft, at least that was the consensus going in. Most experts view Darnold as the closest to hit that ceiling, but that is not a sure thing either. You don't gamble drafting that high unless you're positive about a player. The NFL teams draft by need and the NYG nailed it here IMO. They picked the best player in the draft. You don't say no to an RB that ran 4.4 at the combine. He'll immediately open things up for Eli. Just look at what Zeke did for Prescott. And I believe Barkley is better than Elliott.

Not sure why you think he's another receiver. His catching ability is alright, but that's not his strength. It's his ability to get to the edge and blow by the secondaries that makes him a huge threat. He possesses an incredible "ankle-breaking" balance to dance around the interior D, but he likes to get out wide after that and gain his yards that way. He's a game-breaker, the type of an rb that can make a 4 yard play result in a gain of 60.

As to the concerns with him... I won't pretend there aren't any. One aspect of his game he'll have to work on is his ability to break tackles early into his carries. The NFL poses a much greater challenge than what he is used to at the college level.

Lastly there's the position he plays. That's nothing to do with Barkley as a player of course. The reason RBs aren't picked high often is due to the wear and tear that limits their careers more often than not. I generally share those sentiments. But a player of Barkley's caliber trumps those concerns IMO. You take the odds and roll with it IMO.

Barkley is definitely more than alright catching the ball

starting at the 1:20 mark

IMO, there are 3 franchise QB's in this draft class. Maybe not on Luck's level but really not far behind. Since the 2012 draft, they're my 3 highest graded QB's. Mind you Wentz went on to develop great aned it remains to be seen if they can develop as well but still. Even going back further, I'd only have Ryan, Bradford, RG3 and Stafford before those guys.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Barkley is definitely more than alright catching the ball

starting at the 1:20 mark

IMO, there are 3 franchise QB's in this draft class. Maybe not on Luck's level but really not far behind. Since the 2012 draft, they're my 3 highest graded QB's. Mind you Wentz went on to develop great and it remains to be seen if they can develop as well but still. Even going back further, I'd only have Ryan, Bradford and Stafford before those guys.

What I meant was to say that, while Barkley can become as good as Bell in the ball catching ability, he's not at the level of top end WRs in that regard. Not that it's a negative, I just took that as the comparison point. Among RBs he's up there of course with his soft hands.

Who do you believe has the potential of becoming franchise QBs? Ranked from the likeliest to hit that ceiling. I'm curious to see the list and its justification.

Myself, I can name a QB drafted last year who I believe has more potential of any of this year's QB draftees. Care to guess who that is?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
What I meant was to say that, while Barkley can become as good as Bell in the ball catching ability, he's not at the level of top end WRs in that regard. Not that it's a negative, I just took that as the comparison point. Among RBs he's up there of course with his soft hands.

Who do you believe has the potential of becoming franchise QBs? Ranked from the likeliest to hit that ceiling. I'm curious to see the list and its justification.

Myself, I can name a QB drafted last year who I believe has more potential of any of this year's QB draftees. Care to guess who that is?

Guessing Watson. But pre-draft, I'd have those 3 ahead for sure.

I think Mayfield is the likeliest to be a franchise QB. Darnold 2nd with the highest upside and Rosen 3rd. I really don't see Mayfield failing unless he's injured. Rosen has awesome mechanics but he has to learn to protect himself. I can see all 3 becoming top 10 qbs within 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->