OT: The Other Sports Thread VI - The NFL is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Raptors will still have both Ibaka and Lowry on the cap next summer, so it's two years from now we're talking about when they'll rid themselves of those contracts.

Are the Raptors better than the Celtics in the East next year? I don't see it. Let alone the two obvious Western teams (although we'll see about Houston, they lost too much defensively).
Not only the Celtics...Sixers and Pacers too IMO.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Raptors will still have both Ibaka and Lowry on the cap next summer, so it's two years from now we're talking about when they'll rid themselves of those contracts.

Are the Raptors better than the Celtics in the East next year? I don't see it. Let alone the two obvious Western teams (although we'll see about Houston, they lost too much defensively).

The Raptors are there with the Celtics and Sixers. We are forgetting just how good the bench is, albeit they struggled in the playoffs, but they're a class above the rest of the league.

I think with the defense Kwahi, Lowry and Ibaka can bring, they match up very well with anyone in the East.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The Raptors are there with the Celtics and Sixers. We are forgetting just how good the bench is, albeit they struggled in the playoffs, but they're a class above the rest of the league.

I think with the defense Kwahi, Lowry and Ibaka can bring, they match up very well with anyone in the East.

There's no way you can tell me with a straight face that Leonard/Lowry/Valanciunas/Ibaka is as good or better than Irving/Hayward/Tatum/Brown. Both offensively and defensively.

And we'll see how many games Kawhi even suits up for with Toronto. Reports already suggest he has no desire to play there.

P.S. I like the value given up by the Raptors in this deal fine. Just too much uncertainty given the circumstances of it. I wouldn't do it myself.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
There's no way you can tell me with a straight face that Leonard/Lowry/Valanciunas/Ibaka is as good or better than Irving/Hayward/Tatum/Brown. Both offensively and defensively.

And we'll see how many game Kawhi even suits up for with Toronto. Reports already suggest he has no desire to play there.
That's the key thing obviously, the deal is only good if Kawri stays long term, which isn't at all a given. Masai will have to do an amazing sell job to get any extention done cause Kawri can go pretty much anywhere he wants.
As far as the top teams in the east are concerned, I'd have a hard time putting the Raptors automatically past Boston and Philly, even with Leonard. Those are going to be hard fought series.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's the key thing obviously, the deal is only good if Kawri stays long term, which isn't at all a given. Masai will have to do an amazing sell job to get any extention done cause Kawri can go pretty much anywhere he wants.
As far as the top teams in the east are concerned, I'd have a hard time putting the Raptors automatically past Boston and Philly, even with Leonard. Those are going to be hard fought series.
They're obviously going all-in for next year...if they don't make it, they'll blow it up.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Boy what a stupid deal for the raptors, if they dont win it all next year they are in complete rebuild
They'd be looking at a rebuild regardless...

They essentially slightly improved their chances to get to the Finals for next year, but the ultimate result, would likely be the same

DeRozan or Leonard...they're not beating the Celtics and/or Sixers in the East.

I do admire Masai Ujiri for having the balls to pull off this move, he didn't have many options, but returning with Lowry/DeRozan as his main guys, is not something he could do.

Reactions: Redux91

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Another aspect of this deal I don't like. DeRozan is what he is, I get it, but he did stick with the franchise through thick and thin and then was stabbed in the back by Masai (referring to him being lied to in Vegas a few days back).

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Another aspect of this deal I don't like. DeRozan is what he is, I get it, but he did stick with the franchise through thick and thin and then was stabbed in the back by Masai (referring to him being lied to in Vegas a few days back).

That's an awful take by Sixeiro (shocking) because while DeRozan is a very good player...he's not a superstar

and the NBA is a superstar driven league.

You HAVE to have one of the top 3 players at a given position, to be able to challenge for titles.

DeRozan with all due respect, is not even a top 5 shooting guard...he can't shoot and he can't guard lol

Reactions: OldCraig71

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
They'd be looking at a rebuild regardless...

They essentially slightly improved their chances to get to the Finals for next year, but the ultimate result, would likely be the same

DeRozan or Leonard...they're not beating the Celtics and/or Sixers in the East.

I do admire Masai Ujiri for having the balls to pull off this move, he didn't have many options, but returning with Lowry/DeRozan as his main guys, is not something he could do.
Immense difference between a top 3-5 two-way player and a top 20-25 "empty stats" player. They weren't going anywhere in the playoffs with DeRozan. The Bench Mob is what made them elite last year. LeBron knew all he had to do is shut the 2nd unit down and it was smooth sailin' from there.

If KL is somehow motivated watch out because on paper the Raps have a legit top 3 defense. They are the clear no 2 in the East.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Immense difference between a top 3-5 two-way player and a top 20-25 "empty stats" player. They weren't going anywhere in the playoffs with DeRozan. The Bench Mob is what made them elite last year. LeBron knew all he had to do is shut the 2nd unit down and it was smooth sailin' from there.

If KL is somehow motivated watch out because on paper the Raps have a legit top 3 defense. They are the clear no 2 in the East.

They aren't going anywhere in the playoffs with KL if your baseline is to have a shot at winning it all. As constructed, the Raptors have no chance of that with or without KL. They might get an NBA Finals participation ribbon if lucky, but that's it. Is that the goal Masai has in mind?

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
They aren't going anywhere in the playoffs with KL if your baseline is to have a shot at winning it all. As constructed, the Raptors have no chance of that with or without KL. They might get an NBA Finals participation ribbon if lucky, but that's it. Is that the goal Masai has in mind?
Yes, that is what Masai has in mind.

KL, Green, OG, Siakam, Ibaka, VanVleet, Wright, and Powell are all + or ++ defenders. Lowry can still bring it at times and Val looks really good next to Ibaka in some matchups. They have so many bodies to throw at teams. For the first time the Raptors have a competitive team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Yes, i'm certainly not arguing that DeRozan is better or even on par with Leonard.

He's not...

But the issue is does this make them better than the Celtics or Sixers?

I don't think it does. But I also don't blame Masai for this move.

I have ZERO confidence that KL is staying, he's from LA and he's going back home for sure next year.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Yes, i'm certainly not arguing that DeRozan is better or even on par with Leonard.

He's not...

But the issue is does this make them better than the Celtics or Sixers?

I don't think it does. But I also don't blame Masai for this move.

I have ZERO confidence that KL is staying, he's from LA and he's going back home for sure next year.
KL cancels Simmons, Fultz is essentially a rookie, and Embiid barely practices with his team for fear of injury. I love the Sixers but they aren't there yet.

The Celtics are another story but we can't forget how mentally weak the Raptors have been with the Lowry/DeRozan duo. Whatever happens the Raps aren't getting swept or gifted two wins because the opponent doesn't respect us.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

There's no way Kawhi will sit out...he would forego his free agency status for next year, not to mention all the money he'd lose.

He might dog it next year, play up minor injuries as major ones, but he's not sitting.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I agree. They should be a strong regular season team with the bench, and a bit harder to play in the playoffs, because they just got better defensively.

I'll call it an improvement, but I don't put them in the serious contender category for the title.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Tuned in at 5-1 for the Jays in the 7th and now it's 5-9 for the White Sox after 8. :laugh:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I agree. They should be a strong regular season team with the bench, and a bit harder to play in the playoffs, because they just got better defensively.

I'll call it an improvement, but I don't put them in the serious contender category for the title.

No one is, it's basically the Warriors and then everyone else. The race for 2nd place lol.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Boston sitting at 40 games over .500 and it's still July. That seems almost impossible, and yet there they are and still no sign of slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->