OT: The Other Sports Thread VI - The NFL is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
As impressive of a Raptors team as I've ever seen tonight. It was something else. They shut down Houston's 3 point game and their perimeter defense was the best I'd ever witnessed from this team. Different level tonight. TOR was scary god defensively tonight. Just out of this world good.

Reactions: Redux91

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Van Horne had a great broadcasting voice, and he and Duke Snider were a fantastic team.
Oh man, talk about great memories. Those were the voices of my summer evenings back then, listening to the radio with my dad, sitting on the porch with all the time in the world. The fact that my dad is very ill now makes those moments all the more precious to me . I really miss that team and those days.

Reactions: groovejuice

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
NFL free agency is on its way. The Jets will remain a terrible team, yay.

Edit: Signed Johnson and Bridgewater. Not bad.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh man, talk about great memories. Those were the voices of my summer evenings back then, listening to the radio with my dad, sitting on the porch with all the time in the world. The fact that my dad is very ill now makes those moments all the more precious to me . I really miss that team and those days.

So sorry about your dad. My best wishes to him.

On the subject of voices of our summers, Ken Singleton was on Melnick's show this afternoon. It was so refreshing hearing his voice again.

Singleton is retiring from broadcasting at the end of the upcoming season. He's 71. He reminisced about the great days being on air with Dave Van Horne and Melnick played a few clips of from his Montreal days. He said he'd like to spend more time with his grand kids.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The project seems to have lost a bit of steam recently but the league office stills sounds fairly gung-ho about it so who knows ? If the business side and the league side are both pulling in that direction then it's only a matter of time. You just need a mayor who's desperate enough for votes.

Reactions: Runner77

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Hope Stephen Bronfman manages to resurrect them.

93-94 was magical for Montreal sports fan.
I have not watched much baseball since the Expos left Montreal. Going on strike in 1994 when we had the best record in the league, losing our best players to much wealthier teams year after year, to them having the team relocated made me lost my interest in baseball. I will watch a Boston vs NY series but that's about it now.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I have not watched much baseball since the Expos left Montreal. Going on strike in 1994 when we had the best record in the league, losing our best players to much wealthier teams year after year, to them having the team relocated made me lost my interest in baseball. I will watch a Boston vs NY series but that's about it now.

I like the A's and Giants.

Must've been a californian in a previous life. Love that region.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Nice story from the Jay's spring season in Dunedin, Fla. A Jay's split squad played the Canadian National Junior Team yesterday. Among those playing for the junior was Roy Halladay's son Braden.

Braden came into the 8th in relief and pitched a perfect 3 up, 3 down inning. Lots of high fives and friendly support to all the juniors from the Jays after the game.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
dL11FnH.jpg

Women's World Curling, China vs. Czech. 15 stones in the house, one in front.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone attending?

Cardinals vs Blue Jays. Olympic Stadium – Montreal QC. Monday, March 26, 2018, Tuesday, March 27, 2018. Doors: 5:30 PM / Game: 7:05 PM

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Looking forward to the baseball season this year. I used to be an Expos fan but when they left I switched to the Yankees. They're chock full of great young talent. I could never root for the Jay's after the Expos were taken from Montreal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looking forward to the baseball season this year. I used to be an Expos fan but when they left I switched to the Yankees. They're chock full of great young talent. I could never root for the Jay's after the Expos were taken from Montreal.

Yeah, same as you, can't cheer for the Jays. Last game I saw in person was at the new Yankee Stadium -- absolutely loved it.

I haven't been able to become a fan of any other team, however.

However, it's not like when the Als went bankrupt, became the Concordes and then came back as the Als -- I was able to disconnect so easily, haven't watched a CFL game since. But not baseball, I still follow it but everytime spring sets in, I become nostalgic about the Expos.

If they came back, would like one last season to see Dave Van Horne and Ken Singleton sharing the mic. How grand would that be?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Anyone attending?

Cardinals vs Blue Jays. Olympic Stadium – Montreal QC. Monday, March 26, 2018, Tuesday, March 27, 2018. Doors: 5:30 PM / Game: 7:05 PM
I'm thinking about it... You going?

On a side note, Jennifer Jones went undefeated and won the Women's World Curling Championship! Last year, Rachel Homan's team achieved the same feat.

Great game and a fitting ending to Jill Officer's career.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm thinking about it... You going?

Haven't been since the Expos left. I won't go. I'll watch a bit of it on TV and then reach for a barf bag, as I can't stand the Jays.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wish I could go but I can't get away from work at all this week . I'll definitely be watching the games on TV though. I'm hoping for another nice fan turnout .

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, same as you, can't cheer for the Jays. Last game I saw in person was at the new Yankee Stadium -- absolutely loved it.

However, it's not like when the Als went bankrupt, became the Concordes and then came back as the Als -- I was able to disconnect so easily, haven't watched a CFL game since. But not baseball, I still follow it but everytime spring sets in, I become nostalgic about the Expos.

If they came back, would like one last season to see Dave Van Horne and Ken Singleton sharing the MIKE. How grand would that be?

You got my back, i got your back:sarcasm:

:laugh:

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

If they came back, would like one last season to see Dave Van Horne and Ken Singleton sharing the mike. How grand would that be?
Last game I saw was when Vlad was on the team in 2001 I only got to see the Yankees play in person once and that was at the Big O. I'm dying to go to New York one day to see them play at the new Yankee stadium.

I love springtime with baseball starting and hockey playoffs. I miss the Expos alot and I always dream of Montreal getting another MLB team.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Anyone attending?

Not me. Vlad Jr. is expected to be in the lineup.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Doesn't look like Vlad Jr is in the lineup or even on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->