OT: The Other Sports Thread VI - The NFL is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who did it best?

25isru.gif

Reactions: mariolemieux66

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I heard on the radio that Vlady Jr. got 4 hits in his very first MLB spring game! Chip off the old block as they say.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I heard on the radio that Vlady Jr. got 4 hits in his very first MLB spring game! Chip off the old block as they say.
They're talking about it on Tim and Sid at this very moment . It's hard not to get hyped for that kid, yet the team will have to cool it off somehow because he's not supposed to play in the majors this year at all.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
They're talking about it on Tim and Sid at this very moment . It's hard not to get hyped for that kid, yet the team will have to cool it off somehow because he's not supposed to play in the majors this year at all.

I didn't realize that. Is it an age restriction?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I didn't realize that. Is it an age restriction?
No there's been a few 18 years old rookies in the past, it's just very rare. Vlad Jr hasn't even played AA ball yet, going from A to the majors is a massive jump and baseball is a very conservative sport. As a point of reference, guys like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout played in the MLB at 19 and they were as good as it gets in minor league ball.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
No there's been a few 18 years old rookies in the past, it's just very rare. Vlad Jr hasn't even played AA ball yet, going from A to the majors is a massive jump and baseball is a very conservative sport. As a point of reference, guys like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout played in the MLB at 19 and they were as good as it gets in minor league ball.

Thanks. Jay's prospects are the best they've been for quite a long time. I'd rather be rooting for the Expos though...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
That was a devastating blow by Monday. If I recall correctly, Fanning brought Rogers in in relief. He had Bill Lee and Woody Fryman ready to go.
I had my Expos jersey on and wearing a glove that my uncle gave to me I had all of my favorite players names written in that glove, it was devastating to give up that run and lose on a team with so much promise to win it all.

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I had my Expos jersey on and wearing a glove that my uncle gave to me I had all of my favorite players names written in that glove, it was devastating to give up that run and lose on a team with so much promise to win it all.

I was a diehard Expos fan too. Didn't miss too many TV broadcasts over the years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Van Horne had a great broadcasting voice, and he and Duke Snider were a fantastic team.

They didn't refer to the "dulcet tones" of his voice for nothing. Can't think of a better way to have spent a summer day. Mow the lawn, pour a cold one and listen to Dave Van Horne calling the game. One of life's simple pleasures at the time and now oh so missed.

I still remember the commercials his broadcast partner, the Duke of Flatbush, would be doing for local radio, "Television Shop on Wheels." That's just the thing -- wouldn't even bother to change the station when these guys did commercials and I'm sure many did the same. Van Horne and Snider were a great team and so likeable. But that ad reference -- it sounds like something from the 50s, lol.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
They didn't refer to the "dulcet tones" of his voice for nothing. Can't think of a better way to have spent a summer day. Cut the grass, pour a cold one and listen to Dave Van Horne calling the game. One of life's simple pleasures at the time and now oh so missed.

I still remember the commercials his broadcast partner, the Duke of Flatbush, would be doing for local radio. "Television Shop on Wheels." That's just the thing -- wouldn't even bother to change the station when these guys did commercials and I'm sure many did the same. Van Horne and Snider were a great team and so likeable. But that ad reference -- it sounds like something from the 50s, lol.
Van Horne was a beauty to listen to.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I miss hearing his voice on the radio. I miss the Expos and how they made it so easy to transition from the Habs.

The demise of the Expos was a tragedy. Unfortunately, there was zero chance of the stadium being properly refurbished (I remember when they played at Jarry Park), attendance was abysmal, and their owner was a confidence man. They should have been the first franchise to bring the Championship to Canada.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hate feeling nostalgic about the Expos as everytime I do, I feel a giant void.

Found this about Van Horne and Snider:

Hall of Fame outfielder Duke Snider passed away earlier this week (2011) at the age of 84. Snider excelled as the center fielder in New York that shared the spotlight with Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle.

The Terry Cashman song lyric "Willie, Mickey, and the Duke" exemplified the significance of three majestic center fielders in the same geographic area.

Snider's Canadian roots came before his days as a Brooklyn Dodger and after his playing career. The Montréal Royals were Brooklyn's top farm team, and Snider played there (as a teammate of Jackie Robinson) as a Royal before both players made their Brooklyn debuts in 1947.

There is a statue of Robinson outside Olympic Stadium in Montréal.

Snider was a broadcaster for the Montréal Expos between 1973-1986, doing analysis and play-by-play for Expos radio and TV, working often from Hall of Fame-elect Dave Van Horne...

Here's a pic of Duke and Dave, with the latter in his pre-follicular days ...

263l8p.jpg

As an aside, I don't know if you guys remember how they used to make fun of the CBC's logo back then. They used to call it the "exploding pizza".

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The demise of the Expos was a tragedy. Unfortunately, there was zero chance of the stadium being properly refurbished (I remember when they played at Jarry Park), attendance was abysmal, and their owner was a confidence man. They should have been the first franchise to bring the Championship to Canada.

I remember going to Jarry, it was a simple, triple A type venue but at least it was a real baseball stadium, unlike the Big O.

There was a public pool just outside the right field wall, as I recall -- that Beetles Bailey had made famous with many of his HRs landing there.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad