OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Nebraska's a good comparison, really. I keep trying to follow the Vols out of a sense of solidarity with family, but it just gets too painful. :(

* * *​

Penn State and Michigan? You wound me. :( ;)

But yeah, right now college football seems all "Ohio State and Alabama and Clemson are on track and everything else WHARRRGARBL" I mean, for G-d's sake, the toughest looking teams on our schedule right now are Indiana and Maryland - and that's not damning with faint praise, they look legitimately capable. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS

IU and Maryland are due for good seasons. I remember when Boomer Esiason was at Maryland. I think that the Terps were very good one or two other years between then and now.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
IU and Maryland are due for good seasons. I remember when Boomer Esiason was at Maryland. I think that the Terps were very good one or two other years between then and now.
Overdue, to be sure, but this is hardly the year I would have expected it. Particularly both at the same time. :dunno:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Nebraska's a good comparison, really. I keep trying to follow the Vols out of a sense of solidarity with family, but it just gets too painful. :(

* * *​

Penn State and Michigan? You wound me. :( ;)

But yeah, right now college football seems all "Ohio State and Alabama and Clemson are on track and everything else WHARRRGARBL" I mean, for G-d's sake, the toughest looking teams on our schedule right now are Indiana and Maryland - and that's not damning with faint praise, they look legitimately capable. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS
if in 2000 I said that neither Nebraska and Tennessee would not have a conference championship in 2 decades and both would have multiple losing seasons you would send for my straight jacket.

Reactions: Viqsi and PredsV82

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
if in 2000 I said that neither Nebraska and Tennessee would not have a conference championship in 2 decades and both would have multiple losing seasons you would send for my straight jacket.

Nebraska was so good when I was a kid. I would watch their yearly battle with Oklahoma. Since they joined the Big10, they have been awful!

Ohio State and Michigan are frequently good in football, but the latter has been a non-factor since the Huskers joined in 2011. Wisconsin became a powerhouse under Barry Alvarez as coach and then AD. I recall the Badgers scoring 70 points against Nebraska in a Big10 Championship game. Michigan State has done well in the last 10 years. Penn State won in 2016.

Nebraska has become the Arkansas of the Big10. Can't recruit and can't win in their conference.

Reggie White played for Vols. It would be nice to see their program regain their lofty status in college football.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Those early to mid 90's Nebraska teams were beast.

Seems like it all runs in cycles. As a fan of the Irish, I'm still waiting on our cycle to come again. Late 80's we could play and beat anyone, not so much now. Miami and FSU were also dominate back then. Then you had the USC and Texas runs, before Alabama took over. Now, Alabama dominates with Clemson joining in the mix the last few years. A few other teams have made one year runs like Florida, Ohio State and LSU but mainly now, it's Clemson and Alabama at the top.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
That's where rooting for a team like MTSU comes in handy. You know going into the season that a National Championship is completely out of the question, so you're able to have more realistic aspirations from season to season and find the more frequent hunt for a conference title and bowl game more pleasurable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Those early to mid 90's Nebraska teams were beast.

Seems like it all runs in cycles. As a fan of the Irish, I'm still waiting on our cycle to come again. Late 80's we could play and beat anyone, not so much now. Miami and FSU were also dominate back then. Then you had the USC and Texas runs, before Alabama took over. Now, Alabama dominates with Clemson joining in the mix the last few years. A few other teams have made one year runs like Florida, Ohio State and LSU but mainly now, it's Clemson and Alabama at the top.
I'd like to think Ohio State's been a little more consistent in being competitive than Florida and LSU. But yeah, it's been pretty much the Clemson/Alabama show for a while now, and I'm frankly bored of it. :dunno:

Now watch as we continue the trend by losing to, like, Indiana and Michigan State or something.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'd like to think Ohio State's been a little more consistent in being competitive than Florida and LSU. But yeah, it's been pretty much the Clemson/Alabama show for a while now, and I'm frankly bored of it. :dunno:

Now watch as we continue the trend by losing to, like, Indiana and Michigan State or something.
Yeah, they've played in what 4 playoff games, winning it all once and eliminated in the opening round twice. Oklahoma has played in it 4 times and lost in the first round every single time, including last year where they got beat by 35 points. Only Oregon (39) and Michigan State (38) have been beaten by more.

Notre Dame got beat by Clemson by 27 points, but that same Clemson team beat Saban's Alabama team by 28 in the Championship.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, they've played in what 4 playoff games, winning it all once and eliminated in the opening round twice. Oklahoma has played in it 4 times and lost in the first round every single time, including last year where they got beat by 35 points. Only Oregon (39) and Michigan State (38) have been beaten by more.

Notre Dame got beat by Clemson by 27 points, but that same Clemson team beat Saban's Alabama team by 28 in the Championship.
Sounds about right - continued bitterness about one of those OSU eliminations notwithstanding.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This season has been proof to me just how bad the choices Arkansas has made on the coaching side. The entire staff is basically one giant reclamation project outside of Pitman himself, but they are solid coaches. The only reason we have any talent at all is that some kids just want to be a Razorback.

Hopefully we are getting back to a point where we can compete with anyone consistently. There is just too much talent around for us to be that bad.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This season has been proof to me just how bad the choices Arkansas has made on the coaching side. The entire staff is basically one giant reclamation project outside of Pitman himself, but they are solid coaches. The only reason we have any talent at all is that some kids just want to be a Razorback.

Hopefully we are getting back to a point where we can compete with anyone consistently. There is just too much talent around for us to be that bad.
We were all surprised last year when Trey committed to Arkansas.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We were all surprised last year when Trey committed to Arkansas.
We've been getting some players we just didn't have the coaches. Several of those guys are from my family's hometown in Greenwood, Arkansas which is not a big place at all but is a high school football powerhouse. It's a town about the size of chapel hill and I bet they put out 3-4 division 1 players every year.

I mean there is no reason for us not to be good. We have the backing of the Waltons, Tysons, and Jerry Jones for crying out loud lol.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
National TV, at home, against the Colts. Anyone expecting the Titans to win that game was setting themselves up for disappointment.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Still trying to wrap my head around the punting decision. Bench a guy that had a great game Sunday, for a guy who “looked better in practice.” 14 point swing from those two punting goofs.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Nashville SC with a 3-0 win over Inter Miami last night in the MLS playoffs.

They will play Toronto FC on Tuesday. Toronto is a favorite to win the whole thing but the way Nashville is playing now they have a real chance at the upset.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Nashville SC with a 3-0 win over Inter Miami last night in the MLS playoffs.

They will play Toronto FC on Tuesday. Toronto is a favorite to win the whole thing but the way Nashville is playing now they have a real chance at the upset.
Are these games single or double elimination (or something else)?

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Are these games single or double elimination (or something else)?

Single elimination until the conference finals which are a home and home aggregate format.

then the championship is a single game

Reactions: Adz

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Nashville SC with 3 chances that I'm not sure how they didn't score at least twice. All in about 5 minutes. 0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad