OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Young's suspension is pretty shitty. Got a loan to pay for travel and tickets for his family to go to the Rose Bowl. Completely paid it back.
NCAA threw 4 games at him based on the amount of the loan, but OSU is appealing and I'm sure it will be reduced.

The Wiseman deal is really weird because 1, the NCAA cleared him 5 months ago but has now come back and said that he was cleared in error. And 2, The booster that provided impermissible benefits is now the head coach of the team. So it will be really interesting to see that one play out. What happens if part of the punishment is the booster has to disassociate himself from the University?

Also, the grand irony of the whole situation is if any of you remember the 90's movie Blue Chips, Penny Hardaway's character got busted for the exact same situation.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd suspected Minnesota was for real, but, um, wow. :D

Of course, now that means my Buckeyes will probably have to go through them in the championship game..... :dunno:

EDIT: Huh. Turns out Teague managed to be our leading rusher in the Maryland game and I somehow didn't notice 'till just now. 18 carries, 111 yards. Good for him.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bummer, can't mentally check out for two and a half quarters and expect to beat quality teams. Not super impressed with the poise for Bama and some of our recent big games. Now have to beat Auburn and hope some other teams lose. Wonder how much of Tua we'll see the rest of this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bummer, can't mentally check out for two and a half quarters and expect to beat quality teams. Not super impressed with the poise for Bama and some of our recent big games. Now have to beat Auburn and hope some other teams lose. Wonder how much of Tua we'll see the rest of this year.
Honestly, Bama put up a tougher fight than I'd expected.

I just get very grumpy about the whole thing. Hypothetically, I should be cheering for Bama due to family connections (my grandfather (z''l) who taught at Ohio State for decades actually got his start initially at Bama and got one of his degrees there). But ever since that gutless shitheel motherf***er Harvey Updyke showed up... I just can't do it.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Great win. Of course we’re now well on our way to another 8-8 season with middling draft pick. It’s like Jeff Fisher is back.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Love my Hogs but there is no way Malzhan leaves Auburn right now for Arkansas. The team is a dumpster fire and they screwed the pooch years ago when Nutt ran him off. I'd say they would need to offer him 10 million a season to even get him to think about it and I'm not sure Jerry, the Waltons, and the Tysons are willing to cut that check.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Love my Hogs but there is no way Malzhan leaves Auburn right now for Arkansas.
Wait, folks are actually discussing that as a legit possibility? I honestly thought that was some kind of troll rumor, like the folks suggesting Urban Meyer might take over as coach at Michigan.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wait, folks are actually discussing that as a legit possibility? I honestly thought that was some kind of troll rumor, like the folks suggesting Urban Meyer might take over as coach at Michigan.
Yeah was an article on ESPN, and he's already been asked about it in an interview. He's always gonna be the first name to come up because he is an Arkansas boy.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think hed be wise to consider it. At Auburn if he isnt winning national championships and/or beating Bama hes gonna be on the hot seat even if he wins 10 games every year. If he can get huge money to go to Arkansas he will be like Stoops at Kentucky and be a hero just for getting the program back to respectability.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
It's been slow for me at work today because I did everything already so I was kind of messing around on the internets. Every so often I go to Pluto TV to waste time, which I did yesterday and today. I found The Prisoner, which was excitement in itself, but to bring it into the sports realm and stay somewhat on topic they had a KHL game this morning on one of the channels, Eleven Sports. Ak Bars Kazan won, if anyone cares. The play by play was in (British) English, but the intermissions were conducted in Russian.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It's been slow for me at work today because I did everything already so I was kind of messing around on the internets. Every so often I go to Pluto TV to waste time, which I did yesterday and today. I found The Prisoner, which was excitement in itself, but to bring it into the sports realm and stay somewhat on topic they had a KHL game this morning on one of the channels, Eleven Sports. Ak Bars Kazan won, if anyone cares. The play by play was in (British) English, but the intermissions were conducted in Russian.

U-Verse added this channel last year but it wasn't on the package that I had. Well I haven't changed the package and now I have it but every time I go to the guide all it says is "Eleven Sports Network Programming" which doesn't really help because I don't constantly have this channel on.

Last year when I didn't get the channel but they had what was actually on they had some interesting things. I saw some Swedish Elite League hockey, indoor soccer etc.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think hed be wise to consider it. At Auburn if he isnt winning national championships and/or beating Bama hes gonna be on the hot seat even if he wins 10 games every year. If he can get huge money to go to Arkansas he will be like Stoops at Kentucky and be a hero just for getting the program back to respectability.
I said that 2 years ago but he stayed then. I think at this point it's as much a middle finger to the program more than anything, but considering anyone that was there is now gone I could be wrong. I just think for any coach you gotta look at how long you have been anywhere, and after a certain point you know you are sitting on borrowed time. The days of coaches going for 20-25 years and being able to survive multiple down cycles is long over.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact he has something built there and doesn't want to walk away and completely start over. Recruiting I would think would be pretty dang easy considering his background in the state though.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Why? Perspective here lol. My college teams will never win a damn thing. It's quite pointless to care actually.

It's exactly about perspective.

As a Kentucky hoops fan I can rightfully expect periodic national championships. Calipari should already have won a minimum of two and probably three during his tenure. So I'm getting frustrated and disappointed. Yeah, I know a game in November doesnt mean anything about March, but it's still frustrating to see them lose at home to a nobody after beating the (then) #1 on a neutral court.

But from the perspective of a Preds fan, I would be thrilled with one Cup before I die, and can appreciate successful seasons that dont end with a Cup. So as annoying as the teams recent poor play has been, I can take it in stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->