The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
In the sports business world it's interesting for football. The CFL is making alliances worldwide, the AAF and XFL are forming in new cities. It looks like a co-ordinated effort vs the NFL
(COUGH)or cities that got ****ed over by the NFL and now get a consolation prize San Diego(COUGH)

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
In the sports business world it's interesting for football. The CFL is making alliances worldwide, the AAF and XFL are forming in new cities. It looks like a co-ordinated effort vs the NFL

The interesting thing is that it looks like some AAF games are being broadcast on the NFL network, so it seems like there is some support or understanding between the leagues which is what I ask if it will succeed because the XFL obviously was billed as a direct competitor to the NFL and was smashed into oblivion before it really got started.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The interesting thing is that it looks like some AAF games are being broadcast on the NFL network, so it seems like there is some support or understanding between the leagues which is what I ask if it will succeed because the XFL obviously was billed as a direct competitor to the NFL and was smashed into oblivion before it really got started.

Don't go against, give something better than the NFL.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Don't go against, give something better than the NFL.

Yeah, so I watched the whole pregame/intro to the league tonight.

Bill Polian is the guy in charge, and says he has a 5-10 year plan to develop this league and eventually affiliate with NFL teams to send their practice squad players to the AAF teams.

AAF obviously has goodwill with the NFL as they are broadcasting on the NFL Network, and NFLN even loaned Kurt Warner to AAF for broadcasts. They have a ton of legitimate former NFL players, coaches, staff and management running things in AAF as well.

Watching the first half, it's obviously a level below the NFL but it's pretty good. They are using mostly NFL rules with a few exceptions but nothing gimmicky. So far, with the mindset that this is a feeder league, I really like what I'm seeing and I'd expect things to improve as the weeks and seasons progress.

I can already say that I'd like the NFL to adopt some of the AAF strategy on miking more players and coaches as well as giving us a video and audio feed from the replay booth.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
And there's Jeff Fisher on the broadcast! All of these guys really think the league is great and a good tool for developing players. Fisher is saying how beneficial NFL Europe was, which is funny because that the kind of vibe I'm getting from this league.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
And there's Jeff Fisher on the broadcast! All of these guys really think the league is great and a good tool for developing players. Fisher is saying how beneficial NFL Europe was, which is funny because that the kind of vibe I'm getting from this league.
I feel like it's more of an unaffiliated AHL/AAA/NBA G League

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Memphis Express start 0-1 with a 26-0 loss to the Birmingham Iron.

The defense was actually pretty decent all day, but Christian Hackenberg was horrible at QB and the offense couldn't do anything. Iron led 9-0 at the half off of three FG and pulled away especially in the 4th quarter.

Coach Mike Singletary made a bad call in the first half to go for a 4th down instead of kicking a FG which would have made it 9-3 and a one score game. Zac Stacy did run well for the Express.

Low point of the game was a terrible blown review where the Iron receiver clearly caught the ball off of a bounce for a long gain, after that the Express kind of got deflated and Trent Richardson started pummeling them into submission and tacked on the final score.

Still, it was a fun game to watch and the product should get better each week.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
At least Louisville is kicking the absolute shiznit out of Duke... small comfort for an otherwise really disappointing sports day

Ok so I jinxed it... damn.. 20 points down...

Edit... 23 point with less than 10 to play....

CHOOOOKE

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Ok so I jinxed it... damn.. 20 points down...

Edit... 23 point with less than 10 to play....

CHOOOOKE
Sometimes you say something and you know immediately that it's going to come back to haunt you. I had that happen at the Preds game last night. Score was 2-2. They had this video on with...crap, I forget which unbelievably famous wrestler it was...and he was aggressive and saying what were the Red Wings gonna do about something. I said, "Probably score, now" And of course they did, seemingly right afterward. It's still not my fault nor the video engineer's, it's the team's, but it was a cringey moment for me.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sometimes you say something and you know immediately that it's going to come back to haunt you. I had that happen at the Preds game last night. Score was 2-2. They had this video on with...crap, I forget which unbelievably famous wrestler it was...and he was aggressive and saying what were the Red Wings gonna do about something. I said, "Probably score, now" And of course they did, seemingly right afterward. It's still not my fault nor the video engineer's, it's the team's, but it was a cringey moment for me.
It's ok, I blame you :popcorn:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The first Alliance game of Week 2 was the worst of the league so far, just kind of sloppy and the officiating was questionable at times. Each team only had one offensive TD and Birmingham won 12-9 after the SLC kicker missed three FG tries in the game.

Hopefully tonight's game in Memphis is better, and hopefully the Express actually score some points as they are up against the Arizona Hotshots who look like the best team in the league after one week.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Wow, 12-0 halftime lead. Zac Stacy is running like crazy tonight and the Express defense is stout.

For reference last week the Express were shutout and the Hotshots scored 38. Almost every power ranking had Hotshots #1 and Memphis at #7 or #8 (8 team league).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad