Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nashville SC averaged 9,561 last year in (they don't like this term but whatever) soccer's version of triple-A. That was good for 4th out of 33 teams but some of those teams aren't really....I dunno. It's complicated. But yeah, they play 17 home games. Both Nashville SC and MLS teams but with MLS expansion that'll add a couple I assume.

I know the Sounds draw well too and I'm glad they do. I don't think anyone doubts the validity of baseball in Nashville as a theory, but even if you take out MLS and add MLB as the third pro league in town we'd still currently be the smallest market with 3 teams (It's currently Cleveland if you don't count MLS. If you do, it's about to be Nashville). The issue is regardless of how "major league" someone thinks MLS is or isn't, they're still a league where average attendance is much higher than the NHL and NBA so that's still going to take up a large chunk of the ticket buying dollar. There's no way around it. There's a reason markets as small as us don't have a bunch of teams.
Per game yes, they draw more but you're comparing a stadium sport to an arena sport, so saying they have a higher attendance is a bit misleading. While the average per game attendance between Nashville FC and Nashville sounds might have been close, the total number of tickets (161k to 600+k) is a huge difference because of the sheer volume of games.

Nashville is still growing at a record pace and is still one of the top relocation cities for young professionals. I think we can handle baseball, hockey, soccer and football (and let's be honest college football is bigger here than all of these)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Agreed. I pay a lot of my discretionary income for NHL tickets/parking/playoffs, etc. I don't really have a lot available for the other games happening. In the 20 years since the Preds arrived, I've been to 1 Nashville SC game, 1 Sounds game, 0 Titans games, and 1 Vanderbilt hoops game (free because my daughter sang the anthem). That doesn't mean I'm not interested. I think I have watched every Titans game on TV, even when they were playing in Memphis. I don't have the money nor the time for multiple sports. I just don't see there being enough people in Nashville for every sport to have enough super fans to fill the seats night after night.
This is pretty much my opinion in a nutshell. I think at the end of the day, MLB and NBA fans are just upset that their preferred sport happens to be one that's left out. I don't blame them but it's just kinda the way it is. At least NBA and MLB are nearby. Except for the f***ing Blues we wouldn't have any NHL around.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Nashville is still growing at a record pace and is still one of the top relocation cities for young professionals. I think we can handle baseball, hockey, soccer and football (and let's be honest college football is bigger here than all of these)
Yeah that's kind of where my point can have an asterisk next to it. If you flopped an MLB team in Nashville tomorrow, they might struggle financially but in the realistic timetable for when a hypothetical team would actually start playing after league approval and a new stadium is built, our population may be in a place where they wouldn't. What we might be realizing is that Nashville may be a far better sports city than we thought.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Yeah that's kind of where my point can have an asterisk next to it. If you flopped an MLB team in Nashville tomorrow, they might struggle financially but in the realistic timetable for when a hypothetical team would actually start playing after league approval and a new stadium is built, our population may be in a place where they wouldn't. What we might be realizing is that Nashville may be a far better sports city than we thought.
I'm thinking whoever is planning this has the Titans lease at Nissan coming to it's end clearly in their vision... IMO, it'd be done as a package deal to renovate Nissan and build a MLB stadium on one issuance of municipal bonds.

Also consider the aspect of all the tourism that flows into Nashville as well. We are growing to hate it more and more with each Pedal Tavern we'd like to see roll burning into the Cumberland, but the reality is that it does bring in lots of $$$ from other places that don't come with string attached like having to build schools for those people and such. If the team is an American League team, there is not one of those closer than Chicago and think of all of the Yankees and Red Sox fans that will come out of the woodwork each time they're in town and spend $$$. I know lots of people that make trips to see games in St Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. and it'd be a lot of visiting fans early on like we experienced with Red Wing games I would imagine. But that's how it would likely work rather than relying on 'superfans'.

Also with variable pricing based on opponent, the Yankee games will be top dollar and Wednesday night vs Seattle will be a family 4-pack night or $8 General Admission weeknight seats in the upper deck like at SunTrust Park in Atlanta.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If you flopped an MLB team in Nashville tomorrow, they might struggle financially but in the realistic timetable for when a hypothetical team would actually start playing after league approval and a new stadium is built, our population may be in a place where they wouldn't. What we might be realizing is that Nashville may be a far better sports city than we thought.

No MLB team would struggle financially. You could plant them this season at First Tennessee Park with a $100 million payroll and they would make money.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The same Vandy team that took top ranked UT to overtime trails UK by 30 at the half. And Keldon Johnson and Reid Travis have 0 points for Kentucky.

Sports are strange sometimes

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Maybe being a Padres fan and listening to their inept ownership talk about money skews my view of reality

It hasn't been easy being a Reds fan the last few years. When I think that they are one SP away from success, they trade one away rather than signing one. It drives me crazy! It is like they are trying to lose on purpose.

When I moved to Milwaukee, they were in the AL and went to the World Series the year after I arrived. It is 36 years later and they have not duplicated that pennant winning season. It took 26 years for the Brewers to win another playoff series.

Reactions: PredsV82

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I ran across this story on Yahoo. It doesn't paint some UT football fans in a good light.

Greg Schiano gets huge chance from Bill Belichick after social media mob ruined his shot at Tennessee
Meh, I feel pretty confident that Schiano would've been a huge failure here. The guy is an asshole and not a great coach, even if the allegations about what happened at PSU aren't true.

UT fans got crucified for "running off" Cuonzo Martin too....turns out the fans knew the program's potential more than the national media did.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Meh, I feel pretty confident that Schiano would've been a huge failure here. The guy is an ******* and not a great coach, even if the allegations about what happened at PSU aren't true.

UT fans got crucified for "running off" Cuonzo Martin too....turns out the fans knew the program's potential more than the national media did.

My problem was never with the fans being upset about the hire because they didn't think he would be a good coach. My problem was how they basically did it via internet mob mentality character assassination. Poor look for any Vol fan who was involved and should be embarrassing for anyone actually connected to the school.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My problem was never with the fans being upset about the hire because they didn't think he would be a good coach. My problem was how they basically did it via internet mob mentality character assassination. Poor look for any Vol fan who was involved and should be embarrassing for anyone actually connected to the school.
They weren't stupid, not liking the hire wasn't going to keep him from being hired and they used what tool they had to stop it. Like it or not, the only thing that was going to stop it from going ahead was how it proceeded. I'm pretty sure if the program starts doing well not a single UT person will give a damn how they looked.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
It wasn't just internet crazies who were criticizing hiring someone with his character blemishes, state legislators got involved in a big way as well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It wasn't just internet crazies who were criticizing hiring someone with his character blemishes, state legislators got involved in a big way as well.
Tbh that probably had to do with the change more than anything. I'm sure they were pretty much told it can't happen and if it did there would be consequences. Whether that was administration getting canned or funding cut, it wasn't going to be pretty.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

Those guys got involved because they're fans too. And also saw a no lose political opportunity.

Regardless, does the average Vol fan really think they 'won' by getting the current coach?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The Goldfather was a incredible AD and had zero experience in sports. He hired Tim Corbin, James Franklin, Derek Mason, And Bryce Drew.
The football team had more bowl appearances and bowl wins with him as AD than the entire history before him.
The baseball program went from a team playing in front of nobody to a National Powerhouse that may help attract a Major league team to Nashville.
The basketball problem won the SEC tournament for the first time since the 50’s beating a Kentucky team that won the NC
They had a top 5 class and was slated to have a fantastic year until a horrible injury sidelined their best player.

Reactions: triggrman

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Apparently the AAF kicks off tonight. Memphis is on CBS-SN tomorrow at 3. A bunch of players from area schools in Tennessee and Kentucky. Will this go better than the XFL?

Alliance of American Football

In the sports business world it's interesting for football. The CFL is making alliances worldwide, the AAF and XFL are forming in new cities. It looks like a co-ordinated effort vs the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->