The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I bet the people who paid NFL ticket prices to see the indy-jax game are feeling ripped off.
Even though the home team won, ugh... 6-0 in his day and age is just sheer incompetence on both sides.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I did not attend because I was lazy in school and had bad grades so I couldn't get in BUT, this year's winner for the 2018 "America Loves Us Because We Knocked Ohio State Out Of The Playoff Picture" award goes to my family school of Purdue.
Pshaw. Y'all only hate us 'cause you ain't us. Go Bucks! :yo:

that said, yeah, that Purdue performance was enough of a disgrace that I can't really argue with the committee's decision, no matter how badly I want to nor how convinced I am that Oklahoma is going to get smoked

Reactions: Drake744

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I just wish we could trade the Titans for a baseball team... I like the Titans and all but I care nothing about going to a NFL game. Best place to watch football is your living room. Much like hockey, baseball is better live.

Reactions: Adz

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I just wish we could trade the Titans for a baseball team... I like the Titans and all but I care nothing about going to a NFL game. Best place to watch football is your living room. Much like hockey, baseball is better live.
I really like baseball but I feel like the presence of an MLB team isn't really missed that much. Nashville is the only city I've lived in that doesn't have MLB, but apart from the Dodgers I've never seen a baseball team that brings a city together the same way an NFL team does. I'm not saying that's true everywhere, just the 4 examples I'm used to. The Titans are possibly the least interesting franchise in the NFL (the Blue Jackets of football) but the revenue and TV ratings are still through the roof compared to other sports. Even if football is seen as better on TV, it still beats out the other sports when finances are involved.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think we would rival, Reds and Cardinals fans. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's what I believe. There are a ton of baseball fans here.

As far as how much money the Titans make, that's awesome but it doesn't make them sell out, or make them any more interesting. I bet there's 20k empty seats tonight.

Reactions: adsfan

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Baseball is a complete non starter for me. I've been to 3 MLB games in my life. One in Atlanta back when they still had an Indian in the outfield (early 80s, maybe they still have that not sure). And twice to see the Cubs in Wrigley simply because we were in Chicago. The game is just so freaking slow. Hockey has ruined me. Almost to the point where I can't even watch football because I realize just how slow it is.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The single most boring sporting event I've ever been too was a MLB game. I was so happy it got rained out in the 7th so we could go home early. Granted I have zero desire to go to a NFL game either. Hockey is by far the best live.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't find baseball boring, but there's definitely something to the theory that hockey can ruin other sports for people. I do think that even though it's kinda popular to rip on baseball these days, there are still more younger people who are into it than a lot might think.

My observation of living in MLB cities is that it's just kind of a good way to pass the time in the summer. The die hards are always gonna be there but it seems to be a very casual thing.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
MLB today is a different game than when I was a kid. The absolute worst trend is this idea of pitching by committee. I honestly dont know how MLB sells tickets and attracts a TV contract. They are the only major sport without a cap. MLB with a cap would be compelling because the effing 5 really rich teams wouldnt be able to suck up all the talent.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Went to tons of Phillies games as a kid, my grandparents company had box seats behind 3rd base that we got to use for 1/4 of the games minimum, this was like 88-94 i'd say so I got to watch Curt Schilling come up, Lenny Dykstra, John Kruk, Darren Daulton, Mickey Morandini, Pete Incaviglia, Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams and probably a bunch of other great names that I can't remember anymore. It was a great time, but we also only lived 10 minutes from the park, and I had yet to really fall in love with other sports prior to the '94 strike.

If Nashville got a team, i'd probably try to get to one game a year just to give my kids the big league experience, but i'd have a tough time following the team on a daily basis. I like the NFL better, and it's a lot easier to be a "hardcore" football fan as it can more easily fit into family life and my Preds obsession. For me to really be into a Nashville MLB team, i'd have to be single, live next to the stadium and be able to get in for less than $15.

Otherwise i'd only end up really watching the MLB team when they got to the LCS or even WS.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I think we would rival, Reds and Cardinals fans. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's what I believe. There are a ton of baseball fans here.

As far as how much money the Titans make, that's awesome but it doesn't make them sell out, or make them any more interesting. I bet there's 20k empty seats tonight.

The Reds could use a rival where the fans can travel back and forth for games. The Cubs are a 5 hour drive, but some of their fans used to come down for Reds games when I was in college. The Cubs fans that I met were pretty nice, but that was around 1980.

It's too bad that Louisville and Indy don't have MLB teams. They are both about 100 miles away from Cincinnati.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’ve been completely against that Henry draft pick since it happened.

And I stick by that even after this:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I have Henry on my fantasy team but he’s benched and I had a hunch on starting him tonight but every game I play him he gets me like 5 points. So tonight I was thinking “why not” and looked at replacing Zeke or McCaffrey with him and thought WTF are you doing and decided to keep Henry on the bench.
45 fantasy points later, I am PO’ed at myself for not playing my hunch.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
This may sound overly dramatic, but Henry's performance should confirm that the offensive coordinator needs to be fired immediately. Giving Henry minor touches during the previous games this season because he theoretically "doesn't fit the scheme" should have indicated that possibly the "scheme" needed to be changed.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This may sound overly dramatic, but Henry's performance should confirm that the offensive coordinator needs to be fired immediately. Giving Henry minor touches during the previous games this season because he theoretically "doesn't fit the scheme" should have indicated that possibly the "scheme" needed to be changed.
yeah I'm not sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->